Child Abuse?

99FLHRCI

http://www.wsbt.com/news/wsbt-berrien-springs-16yearold-found-handcuffed-in-parental-discipline---20110210,0,5855695.story

BERRIEN SPRINGS —

A 16-year-old boy, handcuffed to a chair in his room for a week, managed to get his chair to a computer to call 911 while his mother was gone from the house.

Berrien Springs-Oronoko Township Police issued a report indicating the 911 call was received at 3:39 p.m. Tuesday. No arrests have been made as the investigation continues. But, the 16-year-old and his 9-year-old sister have been placed in foster homes by Child Protective Services.

Police gave this scenario:

* The boy told police he had been handcuffed to a kitchen chair after he was arrested three weeks ago for shoplifting. As punishment, his mother confined him to a 6-foot by 4-foot room with only a Bible and told him to think about what he’d done.

* Roughly two weeks ago, when the teen’s mother found out he’d somehow gotten an MP3 player, he was then handcuffed to a chair in his room from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Meals were brought to him. At bedtime, the teen was handcuffed to a desk leg.

* The mother provided the teen with bottled water and a bell to ring if he needed to go to the bathroom. He was only allowed outside to shovel snow.

* The teen told police he was supposed to be spending several months in his room, but “couldn’t take it anymore” and devised a way to call 911.

Berrien County prosecutors are reviewing the case.

At what point do you think she crossed the line from punishment to abuse?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She didn't. Lucky that's all he got. Had he not been stealing in the first place he wouldn't have been in that position. He made the choice that put him in that position and she wasn't physically harming him. I personally would have rather taken an @ss whoopin from my dad and been done with it, but handcuffing will work too.

Child abuse doesn't have to be physical. Locking someone in a 6' x 4' room and handcuffing them to bed at night... that's mental abuse. If he was sent to juvi for shoplifting he'd be treated better.

Plus... shoplifting? Isn't that about on par with street racing on the criminal conduct scale? eta: Hah, I was right! They're both first degree misdemeanors.

That is not child abuse. If he got handcuffed before for the same thing he should have learned that he should not be doing it again. I think the real question is, would he have felt better going to jail for couple months and having a record than being at home handcuffed to a chair?

BTW having obese kids are child abuse, but I never hear stories about it on the news.

Child abuse doesn't have to be physical. Locking someone in a 6' x 4' room and handcuffing them to bed at night... that's mental abuse. If he was sent to juvi for shoplifting he'd be treated better.

Plus... shoplifting? Isn't that about on par with street racing on the criminal conduct scale? eta: Hah, I was right! They're both first degree misdemeanors.

If he was sent to juvi and snuck in contraband would he be in solitary? Wouldn't that be just about the same as what he had here?

If he was sent to juvi and snuck in contraband would he be in solitary? Wouldn't that be just about the same as what he had here?

I don't think juvi has solitary. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine they're throwing kids in oz for shoplifting. And even hardened criminals who get sent to solitary confinement don't get handcuffed to their beds at night. Only Sarah Connor gets that treatment.

I don't think juvi has solitary. I could be wrong, but I can't imagine they're throwing kids in oz for shoplifting. And even hardened criminals who get sent to solitary confinement don't get handcuffed to their beds at night. Only Sarah Connor gets that treatment.

Solitary confinement is a common punishment in juvenile facilities in the USA. A national study of the use of isolation calculated that in 1992 there had been 435,000 occasions when facilities had used isolation for a period of one to 24 hours and 88,900 occasions when it had been imposed for more than 24 hours.

Also talks about restraint chairs being used. Much less mobility in a restraint chair then cuffed to a chair/desk.

http://www.nospank.net/ai-rpt3.htm

As soon as I got to the part about the Bible, it was obvious this lady is probably a little nuts herself. If she thinks handcuffing her kid to a chair with a Bible is going to fix him, then she isn't fit to be a fucking parent.

If you can't control your kid, regardless of whether or not he is a dumbass, then take him to a boot camp or get some other external help. Seems like she did this out of despair, but that is no way to be a parent. And sure I'm only 22 don't know what it's like to be a parent blah blah blah, but this is my view. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.