Recommend a gun for a non-gun guy

greg1647545532

I've found myself increasingly wanting a handgun lately, which is strange because I don't like guns. That isn't to say that I dislike guns, I've just never really found them entertaining. For a while I was going to the range every couple of years just because I felt like I had some obligation as a servicemember to maintain at least a passing familiarity with shooting things, even though the Air Force stopped sending schmucks like me to qualify after my first year in. I haven't fired anything in 3 years or so, and I don't know why I want a gun now. I think I want it just to have it, if that makes any sense. I'm not going to use it for home defense, and I'm not going to carry.

So here's what I'm thinking, and feel free to correct my assumptions. I want something inexpensive, because I don't see any sense in spending a ton of money on something that will spend most of its life locked in a closet. I want something reliable -- not in the "never misfires in the face of danger" sort of way, but in the "I pulled this out of the closet after sitting for 2 years and it's not seized" sort of way. I'm not the sort who will be oiling this thing every week on an open copy of Soldier of Fortune. Low maintenance is what I'm looking for, I guess. I also think I want something 9mm -- anything bigger and I'll balk at the price of ammo, anything smaller and I'm not sure I'll feel like it's a real gun. I could be wrong on this.

I've fired an M9, which I liked well enough except I thought the grip was a bit big for my little girl hands, and a .45 caliber Glock, which I liked well enough too. I have no idea what else I've fired because I never paid attention. Shameful, I know.

Recommendations? I have no idea where to start. Also, suggestions on where to buy would be great too. If I can get something used that comes with whatever accessories I'll need, that appeals to me.

And if they recommendation is "keep renting guns, you have no business owning one," that's fine too. That might be what I need to hear.

haha talk to me my man, the only gun i knew well was our families shot gun. Over the past year i did alot of looking around to decide what my first hand gun should be. after a few trips to the range to try rentasl and friends 40's, talking to some people on here, gun enthusiasts at the fire house and experts at a few gun shops the G22 was what i went with.

once i narrowed it down to what caliber i wanted( 40cal) this is a thread i started on here that helped me deiced on the glock22 4th(latest)generation. I talked to the guys at aim-hi shooting range, vances and a gun shop in the Dayton area.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88804

Alright, thanks for the advice guys. So I'm looking at something like this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=215354424

Seems like it would be everything I'd need except ammo. Good approach?

this is what I would recommend its easy to shoot, clean, maintain and extremly reliable (I would get some night sites as well but I am a gun guy)

If you decide on a Glock 22, you can usually get a great deal on a Police trade-in at Vance's. They usually have Sig's and Smith and Wesson 9mm and .40S&W's trade-ins too.

I love my Glock 22 and 1911's. I would recommend either of the two. If you truely just want something to plink with once a year why not get a Ruger Mark III Target .22lr or any .22lr pistol? Great gun, very accurate, extremely cheap to shoot. Just a thought....

Edited by Mark

dude, if it's going to sit most of the time, and you'll pull it out once in a blue moon and shoot it, I would go HiPoint... I'm sure all the haters will come out, but my 45ACP is still my favorite pistol, I rarely clean it and it just fires... it's incredibly accurate and just is a no-nonsense weapon... and when you fire it, you know you're firing a gun cause it's heavy and backs itself up.

dude, if it's going to sit most of the time, and you'll pull it out once in a blue moon and shoot it, I would go HiPoint... I'm sure all the haters will come out, but my 45ACP is still my favorite pistol, I rarely clean it and it just fires... it's incredibly accurate and just is a no-nonsense weapon... and when you fire it, you know you're firing a gun cause it's heavy and backs itself up.

and when it jams, you can throw it at your assailant and knock him out