Sewer smell

nurkvinny

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirk, the same thing will happen in the city. Thats just evaporation.

Not sure what the codes are out there, but if you dont have a pressure tank you need one. Not sure who sets a house up on a resovior system. I wouldn't. You need a pre-filter, more filters after that if you want, or if your area calls for more need, then a water softener. And thats negotiable. I know guys that live in the county and have no softener, and you can drink their water.

we have a pressure tank, pre-filter, water softener, and carbon filter. add to that a second hot water tank, and continuous loop system so the water in the hot pipes is constantly hot. finally, our water is where i want it---but it took us a lot to get there. the previous owner had a cheapo filter, and absolute junk softener.

Vince, after a night of thinking about your setup. Im going to say that 90 is just a vent for the leach bed. Has nothing to do with distribution. Because if you were even able to move the 90 from the upper pipe to the lower (assuming paint picture is side view) it wouldnt change any water flow. Being the lower is covered putting a 90 on it, it would still be covered. And for it to work properly (stay with me) it wouldnt make since to flood one side of the leach bed, for the water to reach a level inside the dist. box and then finnally make it "up" to start pushing fluid to the other side of the leach bed.

If your looking down on a distribution box the pipes would be on the same level with each other. Not one above the other. And changing water flow from one side to the other, your hands should be clean when your done.

Here found a pic

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/pimpjettay2k/78Sectionviewofadistributionboxshowingrelativeelevationsofinletsandoutlets.jpg?t=1298737474

Holy huge pic... :)

The two out-going pipes are on the same horizontal plain. Sorry again, I should have said my dist. box drawing was the view from above. Moving the 90 would cause the opposite side to get the water, and the current side to stop getting water.

My dist. box looks exactly like the pic you posted.

Gotcha. Yeah working on a re-size right now. Obviously their web page re-sizes for them.

So I guess you do have to get your hands dirty. Take back what I said.

There we go that picture is better! I thought you may have been viewing on a 55 in display.

Looking at that in comparison, my inlet would be significantly higher. Loose the side pipes. Put 90's on both remaining pipes, add a baffle around both 90's to seal below, and not see the 90's. Stick a plunger in one and that's what I have.

My only question at this point is should I switch fields now, or wait until after I have the tank pumped?

Meaning, should I just let the truck pump out as much as possible, including some backdrain from the field, or should I open up the 2nd field now, let a buttload of water enter the 2nd field, thereby maybe saving me some cash because they might pump out less?

No idea whether to wait, and nobody is answering their business phones this morning.

Right now, Im going to say your in the same situation that I was in, and moving from one side of the field to the other isn't going to do anything. My field was so saturated both pipes were covered. But it is worth a shot... Saturation + drainage compared to just Saturation.

This thread has got me thinking about my setup, as I don't necessarily fully understand it. City water with septic system.

- Have a concrete box about 10' from the side of the house, with a concrete lid/pull handle that's about 2-3' down. About 4' further, there is just basically a hole that has a lid in it. 2' further there is a plastic round lid.

- A good distance away is the leach bed; near it is a concrete lid.

Am I to assume I have 3 septic tanks + leach bed? I've never had mine emptied, and have never had any smells or drainage issues in the 21 months we have owned the house (sat empty for a year before we got it). I've never opened any of the lids nor changed over the leach bed (didn't know that was possible). I've never had a problem, so am I asking for issues messing with it?

This thread has got me thinking about my setup, as I don't necessarily fully understand it. City water with septic system.

- Have a concrete box about 10' from the side of the house, with a concrete lid/pull handle that's about 2-3' down. About 4' further, there is just basically a hole that has a lid in it. 2' further there is a plastic round lid.

- A good distance away is the leach bed; near it is a concrete lid.

Am I to assume I have 3 septic tanks + leach bed? I've never had mine emptied, and have never had any smells or drainage issues in the 21 months we have owned the house (sat empty for a year before we got it). I've never opened any of the lids nor changed over the leach bed (didn't know that was possible). I've never had a problem, so am I asking for issues messing with it?

You have 1 or 2 tanks, a dist box, and a leach field. Everything close to your house might be a single tank with 2 inspection holes, and a main clean-out hole in the middle. Or, 2 separate tanks?

The concrete lid farthest from your house is the distribution box.

Yeah Vince, thats for a LARGE leach bed. Not our size.

Joe, yours sounds complicated. You may have a dosing tank after the septic tank. But code has changed so much all that was probably required. Mine was built in 76. My distribution box is a plastic cylinder with a plastic lid. Either way, Vince has got it, the lid farthest from your house will be the distribution box.

Just to give you an idea also, you and the wife (assuming 4 bedroom house [500g/br]) will not fill a 2000 gallon tank in 21 months. It took 4 of us 6 years to fill a 1500. (2 adults 2 kids)

I ran into this issue not too long ago (the last snow round) and I ended up having to get all 3 tanks pumped (yes I have 3 tanks) and had to get all the TP cleaned out of the lines that backed it up... afterwards, there was still a sewer smell for a few days until the tanks filled with water.

Man, I would not want to do that for a living. It would be a shitty job!!

You all that can see your lids are lucky. I have no clue what my septic setup is like. It's all under dirt. I can't see any lids at all. I use Rid-X when I remember to buy it while at the store. So, I'm hoping that will help the system last longer.

Septic guy that came out said dont use Rid-x because it will eat the concrete tanks. Said hes been doing it for 20 years and he's seen it all. So thats all I needed to hear.

The guy from E.C. Babbert who pumped my tank said the same thing about Rid-X eating concrete tanks. He told me that they have an organic mix that they sell that doesn't.

Septic guy that came out said dont use Rid-x because it will eat the concrete tanks. Said hes been doing it for 20 years and he's seen it all. So thats all I needed to hear.

Very interesting. I have never heard that. Thanks for the heads-up.

The guy from E.C. Babbert who pumped my tank said the same thing about Rid-X eating concrete tanks. He told me that they have an organic mix that they sell that doesn't.

Do you remember what it's called?