Toilet Repair - Flapper Design

Berto

So both my toilets leak and they drive me ABSOLUTELY INSANE. Now that thats out of the way lets move on

I am not a toilet expert. I've replaced the flappers a few times over the years and I am starting to question whether I am getting the right one. Let me explain.

My flapper looks like this one (exactly actually)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_21398-868-2001CM_0__?productId=1059981&Ntt=toilet+flapper&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dtoilet%2Bflapper

I am wondering where is the flapper supposed to seal.

-Is it supposed to seal on the cone part of the flapper

-or on the flat part at the base of the flapper, where the cone acts as a guide.

To me it would make sense for it to seal on the cone part of the flapper so the downward force applies a force to the side as well. Currently my flapper seals at on the flat part at the base of the cone. Hence I would need to get a bigger one?

I dont usually talk about my flappers but I have put a few of these on before this same type actually I just installed on a toilet yesterday at my moms house because it was always running. I believe it seals on the flat part and the cone just helps it fall into place. These are usually universal fit. Also the one I used was the same as yours but mine had a float on it that gave me a little trouble untill i got it adjusted correctly.

So both my toilets leak and they drive me ABSOLUTELY INSANE. Now that thats out of the way lets move on

I am not a toilet expert. I've replaced the flappers a few times over the years and I am starting to question whether I am getting the right one. Let me explain.

My flapper looks like this one (exactly actually)

http://www.lowes.com/pd_21398-868-2001CM_0__?productId=1059981&Ntt=toilet+flapper&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dtoilet%2Bflapper

I am wondering where is the flapper supposed to seal.

-Is it supposed to seal on the cone part of the flapper

-or on the flat part at the base of the flapper, where the cone acts as a guide.

To me it would make sense for it to seal on the cone part of the flapper so the downward force applies a force to the side as well. Currently my flapper seals at on the flat part at the base of the cone. Hence I would need to get a bigger one?

It installs the same way it's oriented in the picture. The 'cone' goes down into the hole.

It installs the same way it's oriented in the picture. The 'cone' goes down into the hole.

I know which way it installs! I was just wondering on which part of the flapper is it designed to seal on.

base iirc. You sure none of the porcelain is chipped where the flapper seats?

Just go to walmart and pick a new toilet kit for ~$14

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fluidmaster-Toilet-Tank-Repair-Kit/15788362

Its a plastic seat, and I've already cleaned it to make sure there is noting on the surface.

I know which way it installs! I was just wondering on which part of the flapper is it designed to seal on.

Its a plastic seat, and I've already cleaned it to make sure there is noting on the surface.

does yours have a water level adjuster? Is it at the level line on the toilet itself? Is there plenty enough excess chain available?

does yours have a water level adjuster? Is it at the level line on the toilet itself? Is there plenty enough excess chain available?

Yep all that good stuff. tied up the excess chain so it doesn't get sucked under the flapper too.

I essentially am a toilet repair expert. Just wanted to do a gut check on where everything was supposed to seal.

We had 2 that would just NOT seal, even after new flappers. The fix was getting a new seal that sits on top of the thing the flapper sits atop of. This plus the new flapper cured BOTH toilets.

KillJoy

This. There are kits out there that also include that seal. Also, make sure the float is adjusted so that the water level doesn't keep rising to the point of going down the overflow. There should be a marking on the back of the tank that shows where the water level should top out at.