Teach me about Subarus

99FLHRCI

older ones have rust issues in the rear(what ohio car doesn't)

they like to eat hg's wheel bearings and axle shafts and they will absolutley destroy tires if you don't keep good struts on them and keep after the alignment.....

Both of these are biggest issues that we have come acrross in our 6 subies we have owned.

Rust over fender wells is something you just cant get away with in a 90's subaru.

Wheel bearings.. ya, not much to say other than, if you get a subaru, you will likely replace them (the bearings)

well I just submitted my registration to COS hopefully I will soon own one. I think I am going to hunt out a Outback Sport or Impreza 2.5RS.

If i havent approved you, i will shortly. :)

Rear wheel bearings on the cars with rear disk brakes, they have ventilation issues which over heats the bearings causing them to fail. You hardly see rear wheel bearing failure on a drum brake car.

Head gaskets on the 2.5 SOHC every 70K ish, some exceptions.

Head gaskets on 2.2 SOHC, 1.8 SOHC not so common

Head gaskets on 2.5 DOHC not so common, more common higher mileage 150K plus

Harder to do HG's on DOHC due to removing the cams to get the head bolts out.

Front axle boots tear often, due to the inner boots being so damn close to the manifold.

Rust is an issue on the fuel filler necks in the era you are interested in, can/will cause CEL for EVAP when it gets bad enough. Remove the filler cap, if you see rust, it's probably worse further down.

Transmission issues were on the autos, usually because the dumbass quick oil change places take the trans filter off and drain the trans pan instead of the oil then put the wrong fluid back in, or no fluid. Manuals seem to hold up well from what I have seen.

PLUS, I have the car you want if she needs an auto :)

I am doing head gaskets and all maintenance on this car now, 2.5RS wheels/suspension, auto trans, literally almost no rust....etc. May be about 2-3 weeks, once I get my Subaru's done I like to drive them for at least 2 weeks to make sure everything is sorted out.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z39/crossle_sean/DSC02517.jpg