S&W M&P15R....

Bam

Anyone gotten to play with this yet?

Thinking about it for my first rifle purchase. It's a mix between an ak74 and an ar15 apparently.

Cheap ammo, lots of extras available, appears pretty accurate from reviews.

Just looking for input/advice/experience.

Ive heard good things about the dpms ar15's aswell. A friend of mine said vance's had one for sale with a grip and red dot sight for 699 however this was a few weeks ago, not sure if its still available.

Ive thought about picking up an ar15 of some sort with my tax return but not sure yet.

I've been looking at that M&P and a couple other piston guns...Para TTR or Ruger's 556 or Stag's M8. In trying to educate myself on ARs I am finding I want pricier and pricier guns. :(

How is the 556? I just bought an SR-22 to mess around with and would like to get an AR after a while.

I haven't shot one. Just reading up. Every review has been positive except for one I read that dragged out some negative history Ruger has with black guns and the DOD. I guess they blew a big contract making ARs for uncle Sam a long time ago and have avoided them for a while. I like the Rugers I've owned and shot and it seems like the 556 is well thought-out and high quality. It'd be great to shoot one. The TTR looks impressive too but I have no experience with Para. Seems like people question their quality a lot. The Stag is cheaper than the others but I haven't seen any detailed reviews yet. There are other competitors out there of course but everything else I've seen is a lot more money....like the SIG.

I haven't shot one. Just reading up. Every review has been positive except for one I read that dragged out some negative history Ruger has with black guns and the DOD. I guess they blew a big contract making ARs for uncle Sam a long time ago and have avoided them for a while. I like the Rugers I've owned and shot and it seems like the 556 is well thought-out and high quality. It'd be great to shoot one. The TTR looks impressive too but I have no experience with Para. Seems like people question their quality a lot. The Stag is cheaper than the others but I haven't seen any detailed reviews yet. There are other competitors out there of course but everything else I've seen is a lot more money....like the SIG.

Find any good deals on the 556?

The sr556 is pretty heavy for what it is, but target shooters don't tend to care about that. Also, 1:9 twist, and the Ruger reputation... I'd stay away from the sig as they have serious QC issues, unless you check it over in person and get a killer deal on it.

Anyone gotten to play with this yet?

Thinking about it for my first rifle purchase. It's a mix between an ak74 and an ar15 apparently.

Cheap ammo, lots of extras available, appears pretty accurate from reviews.

Just looking for input/advice/experience.

There were some problems with the bore diameters (slightly too big) on these at one point in time which resulted in keyholing (poor bullet stabilization where the bullet hits the target sideways). If you are buying new, hopefully they have resolved the issue.

Be aware that the ALL of the cheap surplus ammo in the 5.45x39 caliber is "corrosive". This means that a thorough cleaning after each range trip is essential to prevent corrosion.

Personally, I'd stay away from these as there is no advantage over the 5.56x45 round and because of the direct impingment gas system, it will be difficult and time consuming to clean the corrosive residue.

I understand it's corrosive and am fine cleaning it. My biggest reason to get it is the ammo cost. You can buy 1000 rounds for 120 or less. What's the cheapest 5.56 for 1000? Edited by Bam

I understand it's corrosive and am fine cleaning it. My biggest reason to get it is the ammo cost. You can buy 1000 rounds for 120 or less. What's the cheapest 5.56 for 1000?

If you don't mind the cleaning, 5.45x39 is certainly less expensive ammo.

Do some searching around on some of the AR15 forums and see if anyone is having problems with the lacquered steel cases. I wonder if S&W designed their chamber dimensions with steel cased ammo in mind? Probably did.

I understand it's corrosive and am fine cleaning it. My biggest reason to get it is the ammo cost. You can buy 1000 rounds for 120 or less. What's the cheapest 5.56 for 1000?

Shooting isn't a cheap hobby. In all reality you should be able to find 1,000 rounds of 55 grain 5.56 for around the $300 range. So you're shooting roughly $.30 per round. Buy an AK-74 variant if you really want to fire the Soviet response to the 5.56X45mm. The other part of the equation is magazines aswell. For the price of am S&W you should be able to snag a nice Arsenal SLR in 5.45X39mm.