Best Credit Card for Points

John Bruh

I recently got a personal amex and was going to use it to rack up points on, since i always pay with my debit card and never carry cash. The big thing was being able to pay my mortgage with it, but apperently Chase doesn't accept amex, only visa or mastercard.

What are you guys using to get the most benifits.

Discover has great rewards with 5% back all the time! ( I use both. )

From day one? Which one? I just looked at a discover card last week that gave 1% up to 6500 in spending, then 5% after that. Still a good deal but I Like the sound of yours better.

I've had a chase freedom plus cashback card for the Past 3-4 years and have always gotten $1000+ back annually.

But I'm always willing to get a new card with better cash back.

Amex for points and benefits for sure, but second to that my Chase Debit card is pretty good too since I use it all the time. I actually just exchanged some points for $100 cash deposit into my account. My Chase credit card is pretty good too.

Ive been getting some decent cash back on my Discover. the 5% is only on certain things certain months... like Feb. was Restaurants and Hotels (and maybe something else). I definately used thier max cash back on those lol

1% all other purchases.

I use Capital One and have been happy with it. I save all my points until I want to take a big trip, then cash them in on airline tickets, their fraud prevention has been good and I'm happy with their customer service. My wife uses a Citi Card that will give cash back, but there's a maximum amount you can get back per year, so after a certain point it's useless to use it.

Capital one Venture.. double miles on every purchase! Have one for personal and for my business, and pay EVERYTHING with it. The rates are pretty crappy compared to my last but pay off every month and you're golden.

Perfect card if you travel a lot.. I've had 4 flights to maui paid for, and approx 8 flights to orlando paid for since we've owned this card

What would your reasoning be to not have a points card if you're going to pay it off each month anyway? Why not collect some money back on money you're going to spend anyway?

Read the fine print, rewards aren't always what people think...

In the credit-card marketplace, rewards are a way for banks to target niche audiences — frequent-fliers, for instance. Before signing on, figure out how much you'll have to spend to earn the incentives from a given card and if the card is geared toward your spending habits. And check to see if rewards on specific purchases are offered throughout the year; some credit cards rotate the categories they offer rewards for every few months, says Gail Cunningham, a spokeswoman for the National Foundation for Credit Counseling. With all rewards cards that offer cash back, find out if there's a capped amount on what you can earn. And for those with travel rewards, inquire about blackout dates when you can't use your rewards to fly.

Consumers who are approved for these credit cards should avoid carrying balances since the interest rate can eat into the savings. "What people tend to do with rewards cards is charge everything," she says. "But if you're a person who carries a balance month to month don't consider [such a card] because you'll be paying interest on it and probably not gaining the rewards you should."

There are other reasons, take your pick....

PenFed Platinum Cashback card. 5% back on gas and grocery purchases, 1.25% back on everything else. There are no hidden fees or hooks, they credit your account every month. I love this card... :nod:

^^^i have a cash back card, I.e. They mail me a check every couple months, for doing nothing other than my regular spending and paying it off every month. I've had the same card with the same rewards since 2007, and I've easily gotten back over $1000/year or over $4000 total for NOTHING.

What would your reasoning be to not have a points card if you're going to pay it off each month anyway? Why not collect some money back on money you're going to spend anyway?

its all about falling off the grid mang. obama and his goons our out to get us, tracking our every move.:D

^^^i have a cash back card, I.e. They mail me a check every couple months, for doing nothing other than my regular spending and paying it off every month. I've had the same card with the same rewards since 2007, and I've easily gotten back over $1000/year or over $4000 total for NOTHING.

Yeah, I've never been big on the points cards, no offense to anyone else. Give me something I can use now, and that's cash. I don't have to wait, I get it every month... :)

Read the fine print, rewards aren't always what people think...

There are other reasons, take your pick....

My Capital One card has no blackout dates and the rewards don't rotate (occasionally they will offer bonus rewards for some categories, but not often). When you want to cash in your points for airfare you just buy your tickets as normal (you don't have to book through the credit cards agents) and they will reimburse you. You can either do this over the phone, or online when you sign in to your account. It was extremely easy and I had round-trip airfare to Moorea, French Polynesia for both my wife and I completely paid for with points.