FWD LSX Swap???

Wonderboy

So today I was working on an 06 Impala SS with the 5.3 and couldnt help but notice alot of similarities between this engine and the chevy truck 5.3's. So then that got me to thinking about if the block bolted to the transmission the same way as far as number/ placement of holes, could you bolt up an Ls1 to the impala SS trans and swap a fwd Ls1 into a vehicle if you so desired? This isnt something that I would ever think about actually doing but, I thought it would be an interesting conversation. And if anybody has any more info on this I would certainly like to hear it.

shorter block. did you drive it? 303hp = ton of torque steer.

I like torque steer, keeps things interesting. Lol.

I know its not a smart idea or realistic. I just got curious about if it were possible.

no a LS1 will not fit between the frame rails.

real cars have throttle steer. just sayin.

GM did it with a concept Impala SS. They used an LS1 with Corvette (?) accessory drive, and I'm not sure what trans. I have the old GM High Tech Performance mag with all the details on the swap.

Doesn't make it a good idea though.

GM did it with a concept Impala SS. They used an LS1 with Corvette (?) accessory drive, and I'm not sure what trans. I have the old GM High Tech Performance mag with all the details on the swap.

Doesn't make it a good idea though.

a concept car is almost never like a production car though.

a concept car is almost never like a production car though.

Truth

They made an AWD LS1 grandprix G8 but never figured out how to keep the versatrak drivetrain under it for long. Still ran a 13.9 in stock form.

Starts at 3:30 but the entire vid has some awesome concepts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPA0qquUdKA

Truth

They made an AWD LS1 grandprix G8 but never figured out how to keep the versatrak drivetrain under it for long. Still ran a 13.9 in stock form.

Starts at 3:30 but the entire vid has some awesome concepts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPA0qquUdKA

Yeah, I wanted that car BAD. There were some of these cars running around and a college classmate's dad brought one home on a weekend and let him drive it. He said it was a blast on the street.

I'm sure they could have made the Versatrak handle the power, but if I had to guess, it was killed before the engineering resources were approved.