Any thoughts/comments on a Mazda Miata

Rustlestiltskin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fun cars but every knucklehead friend you have will make a comment about it being for gays. I even had a friend with a 6 cyl convertible fox body say it was a gay car......

Engine bay can swallow almost anything but turbo or LS1s seems the way to go these days. I'd like to see the new Ford 3.7 V6 in one myself. I had a turbo car and it fixed the "lack of power" 1.6 and became a pretty fun car. If you think you will want to turbo though, the NB is easier to route the IC tubing because the popups are gone.

Very dependable car and parts are cheap. Junkyard engine $300, junkyard trans $300, many DIY turbo builds to be found. Things I didn't like: My head hit the roof (I'm 6'), seat pan is narrow (I'm fat), if I looked at my hood or headlight covers wrong they would bend (thin aluminum).

Fun cars but every knucklehead friend you have will make a comment about it being for gays. I even had a friend with a 6 cyl convertible fox body say it was a gay car......

Engine bay can swallow almost anything but turbo or LS1s seems the way to go these days. I'd like to see the new Ford 3.7 V6 in one myself. I had a turbo car and it fixed the "lack of power" 1.6 and became a pretty fun car. If you think you will want to turbo though, the NB is easier to route the IC tubing because the popups are gone.

Very dependable car and parts are cheap. Junkyard engine $300, junkyard trans $300, many DIY turbo builds to be found. Things I didn't like: My head hit the roof (I'm 6'), seat pan is narrow (I'm fat), if I looked at my hood or headlight covers wrong they would bend (thin aluminum).

I was not aware that they made a 6 cyl fox body. Unless you are talking pre 86

PM me if you have any specific questions, I own a 91. Check out http://www.miata.net and http://www.clubroadster.net , the second site is more for the modding crowd. I can honestly say they are some of the most fun cars to drive, and that's just stock. Throw some forced induction on it and you have a street legal go-kart.

If you're keeping the engine, supercharger is probably the easiest way to add power. It doesn't take a ton of money to make a Miata fun. And for people who think it's a gay car, at least you can leave a Mustang behind in the turns.

Ever thought of an MR2? Mine is pretty slow off the line, but it's a blast to autocross.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/Captain_Panic/d2.jpg

Or if you feel the need for more power, I'm selling my 93 turbo MR2 (I've brought it to a few of the cars and coffee meets:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/Captain_Panic/sw20.jpg

I have only driven the first gen but they are a blast in the turns. I was driving it through the twisty, hilly roads in southeastern OH and was very impressed. Not impressed with the straight line performance though. Go fast in a straight line mods required.

CJ

I have owned two Miatas that I have road raced for the past 4 years and I have never had one issue. They are extremely reliable and fun to drive. They are slow in a straight line but that is easily fixed with a turbo. These engines are low compression stock (i think 8.5-1) so they are built for boost. I added a stock turbo last year and with no other mods the car went from 118 whp to 254 whp. In a 2300 pound car that is perfect for the road course. I would recommend a 1994 or newer as that is the first year with the 1.8 engine.

I have owned two Miatas that I have road raced for the past 4 years and I have never had one issue. They are extremely reliable and fun to drive. They are slow in a straight line but that is easily fixed with a turbo. These engines are low compression stock (i think 8.5-1) so they are built for boost. I added a stock turbo last year and with no other mods the car went from 118 whp to 254 whp. In a 2300 pound car that is perfect for the road course. I would recommend a 1994 or newer as that is the first year with the 1.8 engine.

What year is your car and what turbokit did you get for it?

I'd be interested in getting an older one - even the 1.6L - knowing I'd yank the engine and put something built or a V8 into it.

My only concern is you picked the WRONG TIME OF YEAR to be interested in a Miata...it's getting warmer and sunnier; everyone is going to be looking into buying a convertible.

Buy my Corvette?

The turbo kit was a stock Mazda speed Miata turbo with an E bay intercooler and pipes. I think I have $600 in parts.

As for me fitting I do not fit in Miatas but I have an aluminum seat bolted to the floor and my steering wheel is a deep dish "Nascar style" so my knees do not hit it. The car fits like a glove.

I was not aware that they made a 6 cyl fox body. Unless you are talking pre 86

I own a factory 3.8 Fox body (86). Ford also made a Fox that had a 3.3L straight 6 engine.

I am on my second Miata. This one is factory turbo. It has also been..."lightened"... :)

buy miata

remove motor

add 5.oh

profit

Blah v8 swaps are getting way to common ( in no means am I saying they are no good) , With inline 6 turbo motors so cheap now and the swap kits making it easy, you could put a hurting on so many.

original auto miata with rb25det

add big turbo, fuel, clutch 100% full street car

The car ran for 3 seasons stock long block, no valve train mods nothing, only engine mod was a headgasket after 2nd season,

The past season They are still running mostly stock everything but pistons after they added nitrous. Engine never had any issues . Engines good for 600whp and trannys good for 700+ hp

The late 90's with the 1.8 had a nasty habit of snapping the crank pulley off the nose of the crank. Something about wrong grade bolt holding the pulley on. Real cheap and easy to fix if you do it before it breaks. On my Mom's it took out the crank seal when everything went haywire. Then it was a real PITA. I suspect this is where GM tried to emulate Japanese quality with the LSx.

Ever thought of an MR2? Mine is pretty slow off the line, but it's a blast to autocross.

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/Captain_Panic/d2.jpg

Or if you feel the need for more power, I'm selling my 93 turbo MR2 (I've brought it to a few of the cars and coffee meets:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll126/Captain_Panic/sw20.jpg

PM'd you

I'm on my third Miata, 2nd turboed. They have all been the 1.6 models with a 5 speed.

The first one was a 91 with a GReddy kit, ebay intercooler and other goodies. It went from about 100whp to 240whp at ~14psi with the outdated Link ECU. It was driven like that for 80k miles until I got rid of it. Even with the worn out suspension it was one of the best handling cars you could find for the money.

My second one was stock without a LSD. It was still fun, but not nearly as much as my previous Miata with a LSD. Especially at autocross and Hocking Hills. Being stock, it was fun that I could push the car near it's limits on the street and still be going 30mph instead of 60+.

My current Miata is almost identical to my first '91, but with a Begi S4 kit and Megasquirt. It should be around the same power as my first on, but running less boost. With the NB suspension and other goodies, it handles even better than my first Miata and many others I've driven.

If you are planning on staying under 250whp, the 1.6l will be fine. The 1.6 cars were also the lightest and I feel they are more "tossable" and easier to drive fast with less power. The 1.6 motor came almost straight from a 323 that had a turbo on it, so it's built to handle the turbo stock. If you are looking at pre-turboed cars, I would try to stay with Begi or Flyin Miata kits. You can find some good ones with around 100k miles at the $5k mark, but those get picked up very quickly in the Summer.

Good luck in your search, feel free to ask me any questions.

I must be the only person to ever have problems with a miata. I bought a 94 three years, with 94k on it. I only was able to drive the car about a month before it started blowing oil out the exhaust. So I had to rebuild the motor, while in there I replaced the clutch and flywheel. Wouldn't you know now the clutch feels soft and slips, I bled and bled the system and to no avial. So the car sits again, untill I can tear it all apart. Also the car has now developed a lovely charging issue. I have not had good luck with them in my short ownership, fun car in the corners when it runs.

Good luck to you.

• 1 month later...