04 Expedition 4x4 - Insight?

nurkvinny

I am looking at an 04 Expedition in the morning and while I have owned Fords and Lincolns, I have never had a Ford SUV.

Any personal opinions on these things? Blatant, obvious things I should look for? This is over 100k, most options, XLT, 5.4L

This is it:

http://i628.photobucket.com/albums/uu8/nurkvinnyz06/0FF7CDD2-C24B-4BAA-A828-54C31432A8D2_8.jpg

Thanks.

I have a first gen expo an I just broke 200k on the 5.4. Trucks been threw hell an back and is damm good.

Ball joints go out on them we have had to replace them a few times. Other then that can't complain one bit. Owned ours since new in 97 an damm skippy been great.

1 Kid = Easy as 1 Dog

2 Kids = 1Kid^6 Power

3 Kids = 14 Dogs a sick Cat and 4 Pauls

I'm done at two.

This is so accurate. :p

My neighbor has one, runs the hell out of it. The biggest issues he's had with it are a rusted brake line, starter, and the exhaust manifold studs rusted on one side. I've tried to buy form him 3 or 4 times and he refuses to get rid of it. Super comfy interior too.

What's the plug issue? Just getting corroded in place?

I can't remember the details, but the plugs were breaking off into the heads. Corroded plugs weren't the issue, it was the materials, lack of anti-seize I believe and I think they were 2 piece plugs. Pickups Plus Cars usually stocks the Brisk 1-piece modular spark plugs you should replace the stockers with. It's not an easy job to do the plugs on these motors. Expect to break a few and get ready to yank the motor if/when you do. That's the only major downfall, but the motor is awesome. Brady@PPC has had his 05' F150 supercharged most of its life, and it has upward of 120K on it now. Not bad for making 420+RWHP too on a stock 5.4.

Yes, it is a two-piece design and they'll snap in the heads. BUT some shops have specialty tools that'll remove the piece that's still in the head without removing the motor. We dropped off the truck Thursday evening after-hours, it was ready the next day at five.

As stated the plug issue is that its a 2 peice design that sits way down in the head. The tools to get them out consist of this thing to break up the pocelin and an extractor. Haven't done it personally but I've seen it done, not the worst thing in the world with the tool. An as Scott said above, Brisk makes a one peice plug that should be put in instead. The tool is easy to find.