Will we ever see a new Ferio?

greg1647545532

Shouldn't you be sucking on your boyfriends balls right now?

BTW I think i saw you driving on long rifle the other day in your subbie. Maybe last week around 5:15pm?

Very possible, the driving on longrifle since I live in that area, not the boyfriends balls part. :)

Obviously the Fiero will not be coming back in name since Pontiac isn't making cars anymore, although GM left to door open to bring certain cars out under the Pontiac name. But there is a very slim chance it could come back in spirit.

The only way it's going to come back is if a group of engineers under take the project on their own and sell management on the idea. The Fiero was a parts bin car with a unique steel space frame and fiberglass body panels. It used off the shelf engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, and probably much more. I think it would be extremely fun to create a compact mid-engine sports car from the GM parts bin by basically taking all the components off a Regal GS, but in today's world it's not that easy.

Today's safety standards have made it increasingly more involved to bring a vehicle to market. Even if a determined group of individuals designed the entire vehicle, there is a huge expense that goes into developing airbags, stability control, traction control, etc. that is unique to each vehicle. Because of this, I would say something like this coming back is VERY slim. But possible.

I think I found just what you're looking for, except they'll never make it.

Italian automotive tuner Aznom has unveiled a rather special car at this year’s Top Marques car show in Monaco. It’s called the Aznom Fiat 500 Motore Centrale, which means its driveline layout is mid-engine, rear-wheel drive – converted from the standard front-engine, front-wheel drive layout.

Yep, a rear-wheel drive super mini. Kind of reminds us of the old Renault 5 Turbo of the early Eighties. Aznom takes the 1.4-litre turbocharged four-cylinder engine from the Fiat 500 Abarth and mounts it in the rear compartment. Matched up to a five-speed manual transmission, the little Fiat offers 179kW and 330Nm of rear-drive fun.

Other modifications include coilover strut front suspension and adjustable A-arm rear suspension with Bilstein shocks to facilitate the weight of the engine. The rear also gets ventilated disc brakes, like the front, clamped by four-piston calipers all round.

The car is able to retain its lightweight nature, too, tipping the scales at 1050kg. Aznom says the mid-engined pocket rocket is capable of sprinting from 0-100km/h in just 4.7 seconds and provides a top speed of 245km/h. Not bad for pint-sized hatch.

Handling characteristics of the car haven’t been noted as of yet, but we’d imagine it would provide loads off grip up until the point of some very snappy oversteer. It wouldn’t be a boring car to drive, that’s for sure.

EDIT:

conversions

179kW = 240hp

330Nm = 245lbft

1050kg = 2300lbs

0-100kph = 0-62mph

245kph = 152mph

I think I'm one of the few who still own a Fiero on the board, Fieros are fun because they are dirt cheap, if the Fiero came back, as already said, either it would be a big fat turd, or overpriced and cost as much as a vette. A 306HP Direct Injected sub 3000lb mid engine Fiero that cost the $30k it should cost comparitively, would destroy camaros and give the vette a run for its money, why would GM do that, that have a hard enough time selling cars. Hell the 140HP 88 wasn't even that far off the 88 Corvette.

And is there really a market for impractical american cars that aren't 500HP anymore? Seems like if you wanted to pay roughly $30k for a car that was fun, you probably couldn't afford the vette and you'd want some practicality and usability out of your money, and you'd buy a Camaro or a Regal GS.

If one came back would I buy it? Probably, I'd feel required. My grandfather bought his '84 in late '83, and bought one of the very last 88s (I still own THAT car), and I have bought a very early white 84 so I have the 'first' and the 'last' so I'd hav to pick up the 2013 GT in white. But that'll never happen, its hard to make a PONTIAC Fiero with no Pontiac.

the problem is the market, with the current economic problems and the cost of fuel the general public is not looking for a lightweight high horsepower car. along with safety standards and MPG concerns automakers want to make something that the average joe can drive and be satisfied with. personally i would love to see another mid engine 2 seat car built by any automaker, but i dont see this unless the current prices of fuel drop and race tracks and track driving become more popular. but i dont see this happening anytime soon as people are willing to give up "fun driving" for more MPG's

Meh, fuel is a hell of a lot more expensive everywhere else in the world and no-one has parked their cars yet. But thats a totally different thread.

Actually on the contrary, a V6, light, direct injected, little sports car would be a lot of fun with a lot less power and fuel. Fuel costs are why hot hatches are so popular in Europe and they don't have a bunch of V8 muscle cars.

I know I'm negating my previous post, but I could actually see a market for the Fiero, maybe. Probably not.