Directv?

Chad is Dead

I'm thinking about switching to Directv. Any pro's/con's I should know before switching. I currently have Insight but they are pissing me off. Directv seems pretty cheap when you first sign up, does the price sky rocket after a certain period of time? How does the dish usually do in storms?

I really like it. It has to be storming pretty good before you lose signal, and downtime typically doesn't last real long. I'd be a lot happier if they would get BBC America in HD, but besides that I don't really have any complaints. As far as I know it's still the only place you can get 3D channels, and they are getting better and better. We have the Choice Extra + HD DVR package, HD packages automatically include 3D channels, we have 5 receivers with whole home, so you only need 1 DVR and you can watch it on any of the receivers.

So all that, plus HBO, Sports Package, Fox Soccer Plus and the protection plan usually comes to ~$140 a month.

It does get pretty expensive later, but I like it and feel the product is worth the higher price. Will not be going back to cable anytime soon. We have the top tier package. I've had it since August 2010. I love that I can't think of a HD channel I don't already get.

I've had DTV for about 12 years. I very, very rarely lose signal. I had the dish installed and then after they left I went up and put a bunch of set screws in all the braces to stabilize it. If you do that...it stays rock solid. DTV seems to be a step ahead in HD and 3-D content compared to cable or dish. I have the whole house setup which uses ethernet over coax to piggyback programming and recorded content onto the regular signal. It works better than I expected. I pay about $200/mo but I have everything they offer. All premium movie channels, playboy, sports, HD pack, 3D, whole house, etc... Only thing not turned on is PPV and private business reserved channels. They have 4 3D channels so far. One is PPV, one is just previews. We only have one 3D tv so, that is ok for now. The 3D PPV channel has pretty much shown every movie available in 3D at some point since we got it. So, not sure there is a need for more channels yet.

How is Insight pissing you off? Pricing? I live in Blacklick too and haven't had any service issues in a long while.

Price keeps going up. And I've had 3 boxes in the past 6 months because the dvr keeps fucking up. Also Insight doesn't have some sports channels I would like.

Price keeps going up. And I've had 3 boxes in the past 6 months because the dvr keeps fucking up. Also Insight doesn't have some sports channels I would like.

Well, I dunno how much it means, but every single one of my neighbors has switched from a dish (Dish Network, Directv) to Insight in the past year.

As far as I know it's still the only place you can get 3D channels

Time Warner has started offering 3D programming On-Demand, but the content is awful. What kind of 3D programming does Direct TV offer. I know the demand for programming isn't really there yet.

As for HD, WOW will have over 100 channels of HD by the end of May (a new pile of HD channels will be activated this week).

Haven't checked out uverse or anything else. The thing that attracted me to direct is I can get fox soccer plus and goltv since I follow soccer globally. I currently get fox soccer channel w my sports package w insight but its pretty terrible .

Time Warner has started offering 3D programming On-Demand, but the content is awful. What kind of 3D programming does Direct TV offer. I know the demand for programming isn't really there yet.

There are 4 Channels.

1 PPV channel that has 3D movies and documentaries.

n3D - It has a bit of everything excluding movies. A lot of live music performances.

ESPN3D - Sure I don't have to explain what it is.

3net - It's a Discovery, Sony and IMAX channel. It's the only one that runs 24/7 I think, and it shows mostly documentaries and 3D IMAX movies.

I had them for a while, dish was never lined up properly, kept blowing out of alignment, finally after the 6th or 7th service call in 6 months they wanted to charge me to have a guy line the dish up. I cancelled.

my folks had DTV at their place in Vermont. I'll share their story.

When the installer came to put up dishes, we asked if we'd be able to get local channels. Was told it would need a separate satellite feed and it wouldnt work because of where the trees in the state park in their backyard were. State park meaning they cannot cut them down.

So we contact DTV to see if we can get access to national feeds for major networks (CBS, ABC, etc) since we can't get local. All this was more so we could get weather reports for the region, since, you know, VT gets a metric fuckton of snow annually and it can ruin your day. For 6 goddamn months, they went back and forth with the installer arguing that he should be able to get us reception for local channels, and the installer saying "youre fucking retarded, I've tried and it won't work".

Switched to Dish Network and we've been able to watch the OSU bowl games every year since.

Moral of the story: if DTV works flawlessly with your neighbors and there are no obvious obstructions, you're fine. If there is anything SLIGHTLY imperfect, prepare for a whole bunch of "our records show that blah blah blah nothing we can do" bullshit.