Kroger extends it gas discount plan to Shell Gas Stations.

SpaceGhost

Ok. $3 per tank. If you went to Meijer and saved $20 on groceries, how is that better than $3 a tank per week?

OK maybe I am stupid, not understanding the question above. Is $20 not > $3? Is this a trick question? The saving $20 in food would be better. :confused:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK maybe I am stupid, not understanding the question above. Is $20 not > $3? Is this a trick question? The saving $20 in food would be better. :confused:

Read my other post above. If you went to Meijer and you saved $20 in your groceries per week but spent $3 more in gas, that's a $17 savings. Yes, you're getting gas cheaper, but paying it more on groceries which in the end, losing money?

Look at the big picture, not just the gas savings.

The above that I just said is probably why Meijer doesn't give you fuel discounts because their food/groceries are already cheaper than the other food stores. Yeah, I think they give you discounts, but only if you use their credit card. Using the credit card is not the same thing.

Ok. $3 per tank. If you went to Meijer and saved $20 on groceries, how is that better than $3 a tank per week?

Ok. $3 per tank. If you went to Meijer and saved $20 on groceries, how is that not better than $3 a tank per week?

For the record I am agreeing with you. I think you forgot to type a "not" in there.

For the record I am agreeing with you. I think you forgot to type a "not" in there.

doh!

See what I'm saying now? Just because you save a few bucks in gas a week you're paying like double/triple when paying for groceries... so the Food company wins either way. I think they just do it to make you feel like you're getting a deal but you're getting :fuuuu:

Read my other post above. If you went to Meijer and you saved $20 in your groceries per week but spent $3 more in gas, that's a $17 savings. Yes, you're getting gas cheaper, but paying it more on groceries which in the end, losing money?

Look at the big picture, not just the gas savings.

I'll pay $20 more NOT to shop at Meijer. Not the one by me anyway. I admit, I'm lazy and Kroger is the closest. It's also a very nice and new Marketplace so it's clean. We used to go to Giant Eagle, but a few years back did our own comparison on about 50 items and they were higher in price.

Sounds like we're headed towards another comparison.

I'll pay $20 more NOT to shop at Meijer. Not the one by me anyway. I admit, I'm lazy and Kroger is the closest. It's also a very nice and new Marketplace so it's clean. We used to go to Giant Eagle, but a few years back did our own comparison on about 50 items and they were higher in price.

Sounds like we're headed towards another comparison.

Lewis Center?

For those who shop at Giant Eagle. Go buy $100 worth of groceries from there. Buy the EXACT same stuff at Meijer. I bet Meijer will be $20 cheaper than Big Bird. Yes, you save .20 a gallon for your $100 purchase but that only equals $1.00 off per 5 gallons of gas. You'd need what, 40? gallons of gas to get back that $20 you saved from going to Meijer. My math is off (I'm sure of it.. since I've had more than a few beers tonight).

What I'm saying is Giant Eagle grocery prices are way higher than Meijers and for my family it's just not worth the hassle to got to giant eagle to save a few bucks. I'd save more money going to Meijer, paying lower grocery prices than to go to Big Bird to save a few dollars on gas. And I work from home so I put $20 in gas in my car last week and just put another $20 it this week and it'll last me until Friday or so.

Shop wherever you want. It's your money. I'm not being a Giant Eagle elitist - I was just sharing my experiences.

FWIW, we used to shop at Kroger and we benefitted from their rewards program. We only switched to Giant Eagle after we discovered our savings was better with them versus Kroger.

Shop wherever you want. It's your money. I'm not being a Giant Eagle elitist - I was just sharing my experiences.

FWIW, we used to shop at Kroger and we benefitted from their rewards program. We only switched to Giant Eagle after we discovered our savings was better with them versus Kroger.

I'm not telling anyone where to shop. I was just trying to explain the way Giant eagle and Krogers work with their fuel perks. Everyone is talking about saving money on gas and such but in the end you're paying more for the groceries so that cancels the savings on the gas out.

Hell, I guess Aldi's is cheaper than any of the grocery stores. I've never been there but I heard the prices are really low compared to the chain stores.

Hell, I guess Aldi's is cheaper than any of the grocery stores. I've never been there but I heard the prices are really low compared to the chain stores.

Haven't been there, but my parents buy a lot of non-food items there. Shit is cheap and usually poor quality, but $.35 napkins, who cares. Especially when my kids grab a stack and wipe their faces with them.

What I like most about Kroger is their store brands are very good quality. I remember trying other store's brand stuff and it's no where near comparable to the name brand. Kroger's shit is.

Target though is very good too. We do buy several items there usually more in bulk because the prices are about 5%-10% better on some dry goods, plus you get an additional 5% off if you use a target charge card. On the way out, we walk over and pay the card off with the cash we brought. So in the end, target doesn't sell gas, but you can save 10-15% on a lot of stuff if you're near a target with groceries like we are.

I'll shop at Target all day vs. battling Wal-Fart.

I'm not telling anyone where to shop. I was just trying to explain the way Giant eagle and Krogers work with their fuel perks. Everyone is talking about saving money on gas and such but in the end you're paying more for the groceries so that cancels the savings on the gas out.

I'm saving on both groceries and gas. I've bought both for long enough and at enough places to know, I think. You might not have the same spending habits as me, so what works for me might not work for you.

When I go shopping I have a list for krogers and one for meijers since they are right down the road from each other.

Grocery IQ. Download the app. Excellent tool. Push notifications too so when my wife is out at the store I can add items directly to it and she gets them.

Tracks your history, prices, reads bar codes, etc....even links to coupon sites and your grocery card. You can break out items by store too. Best thing is you can also use their web site vs just tapping away on a phone.

- tim aka geek.

Grocery IQ. Download the app. Excellent tool. Push notifications too so when my wife is out at the store I can add items directly to it and she gets them.

Tracks your history, prices, reads bar codes, etc....even links to coupon sites and your grocery card. You can break out items by store too. Best thing is you can also use their web site vs just tapping away on a phone.

- tim aka geek.

Pretty cool, I'll have to try it.

I'll take that! We do Kroger and usually fill up there as we can get their discount on fuel, but if we can pull down $.70 gal on gas, I'm good with that. Van isn't cheap to fill up.

Maybe you can save that $165/month :gabe:

For those that shop at Giant Eagle, I'm not sure what you're doing wrong, but I get $.20 off per gallon of gas for every $50 I spend. :fuckyeah:

No Giant Eagle around here but I was under the impression that this guy is right. Hence why I have always been jealous of you Cbus guys with your Giant Eagles. I only use the measly Krogers.