Sportbikes???

Hahn

Is owning/riding a sportbike something that only early 20 year olds can ride? Is it not cool anymore after you hit 30 something? Just wondering because ive been back and forth on the age old question of whether or not to get a cruiser or sportbike and it feels like i would grow out of a sportbike very quickly, (even though im still only 21). Is this likely or do people still enjoy riding a sportbike after theyve had it for a while. My type of riding would most likely be urban city riding mixed with sum twisties but probably not too many long hauls. Any input?

Sportbikes are totally impractical for anyone over 25. In fact, I think it's illegal in some states to ride crotch rockets if you're over a certain age, such as 25 or 30. You should just start with a cruiser type bike now so that you won't have to sell it in a few years.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1361302&postcount=23

Typically, older guys with kids have wives that don't allow them to own a sportbike. They figure if they get a cruiser the wife has less to say about it IF she even lets them ride. Are your balls still in your possesion? Otherwise, buy whatever the hell you want.... :gabe:

You may want to check on insurance costs before you decide on what to buy. When I was 21 my insurance agent STRONGLY recommended ($9000/year for an R1) that I buy a cruiser so I got a V-Max. After 25 and even more in my 30's, sportbikes are cheap to insure and still the only bike for me. My dad started riding sportbikes in his 50's too.

Sport bikes are fun, but cost a ton more for insurance, and IMHO aren't very comfortable to ride. Cruisers sit more upright, cost less and I think they are easier to ride. This type of topic is always debated, but its also why bike manufacturers make bikes that are like race bikes with bigger fairings and a more upright riding position. I just bought a bike and had this same battle with myself but in the end the cruiser won for me because its a ton cheaper and I know I'm less likely to get into trouble on it. I'm also 30 years old and don't care about impressing anyone anymore, I'm very happy with my decission.

Sport bikes are fun, but cost a ton more for insurance, and IMHO aren't very comfortable to ride. Cruisers sit more upright, cost less and I think they are easier to ride. This type of topic is always debated, but its also why bike manufacturers make bikes that are like race bikes with bigger fairings and a more upright riding position. I just bought a bike and had this same battle with myself but in the end the cruiser won for me because its a ton cheaper and I know I'm less likely to get into trouble on it. I'm also 30 years old and don't care about impressing anyone anymore, I'm very happy with my decission.

That is not true everyone I know with a Harley pays significantly more than I do for insurance. Harleys and cruisers cost more outright and more to fix when broken or in an accident so naturally they cost more to insure. Now it isn't ALWAYS the case but I would argue strongly about the A LOT more statement.

I'm 34 and will still buy a CBR1100XX some day. I see no limits for age on any kind of bike. Cruising loud or going through twisties feels the same at 20 or 50. :)

BTW, on insurance - I paid $80 a year for a Honda 919, $90 a year for the 1500cc Kaw cruiser, and just got the 249cc Honda scooter insured for $74 a year. Insurance, at least for me, is def. not a factor between bike types.

Wow, you should just go sit over there in the corner for this conversation......I pay $75.00 for an entire year for my 2005 R6 and I'm 23. I also have insurance on 2 vehicles,which are clear records and I own my own home which do help. But even when I first got my bike the insurance ran me 150 for the year

That is not true everyone I know with a Harley pays significantly more than I do for insurance. Harleys and cruisers cost more outright and more to fix when broken or in an accident so naturally they cost more to insure. Now it isn't ALWAYS the case but I would argue strongly about the A LOT more statement.

Okay when full coverage for me is $240 a year for my new Honda Shadow, or would've been $148 a month for a new CBR600RR, I think its cheaper. Not all cruisers are Harleys, just sayin.

Wow, you should just go sit over there in the corner for this conversation......I pay $75.00 for an entire year for my 2005 R6 and I'm 23. I also have insurance on 2 vehicles,which are clear records and I own my own home which do help. But even when I first got my bike the insurance ran me 150 for the year

You can disagree with my opinion, but the above is what's fact for the same insurance coverage on 2 different bikes for me. Go sit in your own corner, cause if you don't like my 2 cents don't read it.

Is owning/riding a sportbike something that only early 20 year olds can ride? Is it not cool anymore after you hit 30 something? Just wondering because ive been back and forth on the age old question of whether or not to get a cruiser or sportbike and it feels like i would grow out of a sportbike very quickly, (even though im still only 21). Is this likely or do people still enjoy riding a sportbike after theyve had it for a while. My type of riding would most likely be urban city riding mixed with sum twisties but probably not too many long hauls. Any input?

If your worried about what other people will think about your age and the fact that you ride a sport bike then you definitly shouldnt get one. Who the fuck cares what other people think is "too old" to ride a sport bike, if you want to get one then get one?

It all depends on the insurance company. Some base it on CC's regardless of bike type (why the 1600, 1800+ cruiser are expensive). Some base it on the type and could care less about CC. i.e. Sportbike...anything GSXR, CBR, ZX-xR, YZF-R, etc. means big bucks....again, depending on the company.

This is also based on FULL coverage, they are all cheap for liability only...

To give you an idea I paid $206 for full coverage on my BUSA through USAA in Ohio, same coverage in TX is almost $600. Keep in mind USAA doesn't cover new policies so if you call them now you go through Progressive. Progressive quoted me $4,000 for 6-months with the same coverage I have now...:lolguy:

State Farm was the only other company that could get close to my USAA rates and they wanted more for my cars!

If your worried about what other people will think about your age and the fact that you ride a sport bike then you definitly shouldnt get one. Who the fuck cares what other people think is "too old" to ride a sport bike, if you want to get one then get one?

It's not that I'm worried about what people think of me riding, I'm just trying to get some insight on the 2 diff bikes. It's going to be my first bike so I don't want to regret my purchase 2 mths after buying.

It's up to your riding style and what you want to do. I just started last year and realized quick that a sport bile was my style and felt right. I also realized quick that I dislike the street scene for sport bikes. I got a bike with every intention of tracking it, road racing tracks. I've ridden a bit around town, but have no interest in the long rides. Many people on sport bikes seem to want the attention and have an "image" they feel they need to hold. Hat on back wards, just sunglasses, no shirt on, shorts, even wearing flip flops while riding a bike. I just can't get with these decisions. I take it very serious and respect the danger and technique in being a good rider and pushing it a little. I don't ride in groups or with people, because I don't want to be the reason someone went down. I've done one track day and it was extremely helpful to learn the bike and me as a rider. In total, I rode about 1100 miles last year. I see this number only going up a little. In the 3 times I have been out on the bike this year, it just was not the fun it was on the track.

Find what's right for you and what you want out of it.

My type of riding would most likely be urban city riding mixed with sum twisties but probably not too many long hauls. Any input?

Sport bike. They accelerate better, stop better, turn better, look better, sound better, cheaper and are reliable. Only exception would be a Ducatti, shit likes to break and be slow and sound like someone dropped a wrench in the engine :dumb: