Changing oil...

V8 Beast

So I'm getting my car ready for the track day.... I change the brakes, swap out the wheel studs, replace the purge for my nitrous, change out the electrical lines for the alternator and my bottle heater. While I have the car up I decide to fix the motor in my cutout and seal it. Back under the hood I adjust the fuel pressure, along with checking the spark plugs, and spark plug wires. Then suddenly I realize I still need the oil changed. Without thinking I pick up the phone and call the dealership to schedule an oil change. :wtf: From there without hesitation I go back under the car and fix the pinion seal and tack a pin hole size leak on the diff.

After all this stuff I have learned over the years my brain is still preset to pay someone else to change my oil. Can a doctor please evaluate my psyche and explain what is going on? I have no trouble with the fluids in the back of the car.. but in the front its a different story. Am I gay? I mean car gay as in I'm more comfortable under the back of the car. Does anyone else suffer from car gayness?

I have no trouble with the fluids in the back of the car.. but in the front its a different story. Am I gay?

The statement " I have no trouble with the fluids in the back "is gay-ish. Combined with being cool with fluids up front, I'd be lying if I didn't say I have a concern. Now to the statement of you being gay. I've heard you swing both ways and like to pitch but I say that with respect because you would make me your little white bitch, especially with my bum arm.

Proof however would be in the the pic that does exist on this site :p

FWIW, I haven't changed my own oil for years. $27 just yesterday for a full change in the Fusion at Valvoline. $10 rebate forthcoming too.

I'm just more comfortable in the rear. Maybe its because I've spent more time back there... who knows. I could have went with moser but I decided to get some strange. Every since then I have had wierd leaks and at times it just doesnt feel right. Maybe its because its easier to get under the back and do what I have to do to get things going. I just dont know.

But seriously.. does anyone have a part of the car that for the life of them they just dont want to work on? My thing with oil is getting rid of it. Since I have to drive to dispose of it anyway I figure I should let them do all the work and pay a few dollars more.

I only change the oil inthe rx7 now. The suby goes to NTB. I get synthetic now, but the old car was $17.98 for oil change and tire rotation. Hard to beat that.

Though you still might be a little gay. Just the tip maybe.

But seriously.. does anyone have a part of the car that for the life of them they just dont want to work on? My thing with oil is getting rid of it. Since I have to drive to dispose of it anyway I figure I should let them do all the work and pay a few dollars more.

I can't stand working on electrical shit in a car

Mojoe - I do the same thing.. Change it in the RX7 and have the Tundra and Mazda 6s at one of the oil place (ie Valvoline).. Guess I am just lazy that way.

Sorry I did not commit to buying you rebuilt GT35r.. I am still up in the air as to fixing or ripping out the Rotor motor and going LSX.. Also building a 24 X30 garage and hope to be done in late May early June.. Then I can really start planning next steps..

I don't do transmissions at all.

That being said, I won't let anyone else change my oil. After working in shops for a long time, I know all the short cuts people take (using whatever oil is closest, just changing the filter, etc) and I refuse to take that gamble.

Guest Hal

The only thing I absolutely won't do is internal tranny work. I almost never change my own oil, it's just easier to take it somewhere.

Other than that stuff, I'll do it myself. I'm one of the weird ones that loves electrical diagnoses too.

I'm one of the weird ones that loves electrical diagnoses too.

I've heard rumors you people existed, but I never believed it...

As for working on my cars, I do anything I have the ability to do myself, even if it cost just as much or even a little less to have somebody else do it. It seems like every time in the past that I've had to change oil in something that was last done by a shop, I spend more time trying to get the oil filter off than it would normally take to do the entire job start to finish. They all seem to employ the Hulk to install the filters. I've had to deal with quite a few stripped drain plugs as well, but there's no way of knowing that it was the last person's fault.

I just prefer to do the work so I know if something goes wrong it was on me or if something needs repaired/replaced later on and it's not the factory part I'll know that it gets fixed with the correct piece. There are jobs such as internal transmission jobs or extensive electrical work that I don't have the knowledge or tools to do, but that's what car buddies are for. ;)

I do my own oil changes generally, I've been known to take my oil and filter of choice somewhere during the dead of winter, however. Our garage is not heated.

I'm the only one who does the oil changes on my dad's cummins though, with the sheer amount of oil, the length of time it takes to drain completely, and the fuel contamination as a result of emissions equipment, I only trust myself.

The only thing I absolutely won't do is internal tranny work. its not hard, i do my own.

Other than that stuff, I'll do it myself. I'm one of the weird ones that loves electrical diagnoses too. thats because its easy. electrical is cake when you know what your doing. some people just don't have the knack for it though.

brian = car fag.

Guest Hal
If I can pay to have it done for what it costs me in supplies + a little...... more power to 'em.

I hate working on the car....

KillJoy

That's my whole thought process. I get some nice coupon for an oil change cheaper than I can do it myself. Anymore, I hate working on cars. 2 wheel bearings, 1 fan clutch, and 1 water pump in 1 week reminded me of that.

I hate doing it all, but it's easier for me to do it b/c I actually know it's done right. I hate running brake lines, and guess what just rusted out on my dad's car. Yep, fun tomorrow.

I hate doing it, but to me its cheaper to do it myself because I don't have time to wait to get into a shop. I also know its been done right.

My wife can easily take hers in since its next to her work.