School Levys

Tractor

You do realize that most schools just lost a lot of gov't aid, right? Thats why most of them are in a scramble to pass operating and emergency levys.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What he is saying is they suck at managing money.

Public services suck at managing money, town governments suck at managing money, state governments suck at managing money, and the federal government sucks at managing money.

If someone in charge of our money actually handles it properly, it'd be a mindblowing event.

Well this levy is for "NEW SCHOOLS" not expenses. The current schools are 35yrs old. Pretty new considering what a lot of the states schools are like (I know, I'm in schools all over the state daily.)

I think you missed my point. I know that when I budget, I do not do the following:

Buy New House

Tell my Boss I need a raise to pay for my new house, or I will have to sell my car.

Kind of the same thing...... sorta....

KillJoy

They are stripping Hilliard schools of so much right now its not even funny. I personally am in a position to be able to vote yes. This is even though the taxes on my house have quadrupled over the last 5 years. A lot of people are seeing it as the straw that's going to break the camels back. I have kids in school so I'm more sympathetic to the situation and will do my part to help. It just really pisses me off that we are spending so much to build these awesome schools then on the back end ask us to pay the teachers. I dont care how great and high tech the school is. Without teachers and solid educational programs its just a high tech waste of money.

To Robs point I would like to say... Thank you uncle sam for pulling the plug on our schools and leaving all those Americans that are foreclosing on homes and filing bankruptcy to pick up the slack. My kids appreciate it.

Having friends who teach elementary school telling me about their pay, benefits, time off, etc makes me feel less sorry for some teachers. <-- Notice "some".

I used to religiously vote for anything school or police/ambulance/fire or public parks. I want decent schools just like everyone else, but some of this is ridiculous. Case in point - the elementary school I went to was probably built in the 1940s, was a single story, simple brick.

I recently drove past the replacement school. 3-story with High School size gym and auditorium. What looked like a full track set up. For a freaking K-5 or 6.

Somehow I managed to do well in an old, vanilla brick building with a kid-sized gym and a simple field for recess. How many teachers could that multi-multi-million dollar building pay? (I know there's an argument for some state new build money has to go to buildings, not salaries).

When I see kids going to campuses that would rival any college from a couple decades ago, it does make me wonder about the waste.

Having friends who teach elementary school telling me about their pay, benefits, time off, etc makes me feel less sorry for some teachers. <-- Notice "some".

I used to religiously vote for anything school or police/ambulance/fire or public parks. I want decent schools just like everyone else, but some of this is ridiculous. Case in point - the elementary school I went to was probably built in the 1940s, was a single story, simple brick.

I recently drove past the replacement school. 3-story with High School size gym and auditorium. What looked like a full track set up. For a freaking K-5 or 6.

Somehow I managed to do well in an old, vanilla brick building with a kid-sized gym and a simple field for recess. How many teachers could that multi-multi-million dollar building pay? (I know there's an argument for some state new build money has to go to buildings, not salaries).

When I see kids going to campuses that would rival any college from a couple decades ago, it does make me wonder about the waste.

I could NOT agree more!

:yuno:

KillJoy

My take is to stop increasing taxes for public education. Public education is not the answer to all education for children. If I want the best education for my children, then I need to fork over the cash to pay for private school. States cannot afford to give every child an education to get them everything in life. They are there to provide the basic necessities for education and nothing else (thats why it's public education). If the parents are so motivated in the kids education, then spend the time and resources to either A) progress faster and taker higher level classes, or B) Pay the money for private schools.

I've wondered this as well. I live in the Teays Valley district and they are putting up new schools left and right, and every single one of them is an architectural art piece. Really? Do they really need an elaborate, expensive building to teach in? Why not some simple, yet massive (room for expansion) square building. No frills. No 20'x20' glass windows. Basic, and completely functional. That kind of stuff pisses me off.

I thought I'd tell yal about the school district in which my parents live. Warren school district near Marietta, OH wants money and keeps spamming special elections trying to get one passed so far in the last 12 months they've held 4 elections and been voted NO each time.

They will be having a 5th soon because the people voted no last Tuesday.

To me this has to be wrong in some way. I mean what good is a vote if the schools can simply ignore it and hold another election.

I also bet that if they get a YES the "NO" voters can't just hold elections every 3-4 months until they get the "NO" they are waiting for.

The school funding system was ruled unconstitutional years ago and they haven't done anything about it yet.

I used to think "only property owners" too, but renters do pay the same tax, they just pay it in rent which is then applied to the cost of operating the apartment/house so they get to vote too.

That's not true. Rent is charged based on what the market will pay. I'll use my rental property in shithole Reynoldsburg as an example. When I bought it in 2002, it was a decent area with reasonable property taxes. Since that time, property tax has doubled (DOUBLED) in an established neighborhood that has been there since the late 60's. Yet property values have plumeted. I am getting top dollar in rent for the place, but I basically break even. Taxes went up again this year, yet I can't ask for more rental money, as no one would pay more to live there.

Of course Reynoldsburg is awful a managing money. They even have a school district income tax to go along with the very high property taxes.

How about this - no money from property tax should go to schools. Rather, those with children in school have a mandatory tax they must pay. You chose to have the kid, you pay for them.

How about this - no money from property tax should go to schools. Rather, those with children in school have a mandatory tax they must pay. You chose to have the kid, you pay for them.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I'd also add; more kids = more tax. I don't think it's fair for you to pay the same amount to send your 6 kids through the system as the person who sends their 1 child through. You fuck more. You pay more.

I know the argument is, 'well the kids are our future [leaders]!' Every kid in the public school system isn't being groomed for the Presidency. Those that have the means to be better educated, will be the ones who make it to the top, and that's exactly who I'd want there anyways.

I'm still a huge believer that if you can't afford to have it, THEN DON'T HAVE IT!!! I don't feel it's every other person in society's place to pay for your kid in any way. I for one would NEVER have a kid unless I could pay for a private education.

My kids (If I ever have any) will undergo the same Catholic School education I went through. Nuns really do make good teachers.....even if they look like the crypt keeper and can sneak up on you like a sniper. I'm glad I moved to Texas, no state taxe to pay or school district taxes.

maybe on the budget end he is but what good is a balanced budget if your school systems are completely destroyed and producing below average scores. Also the school systems can not keep adding taxes every 3 to 5 years as that is not a solution either. There truely needs to be a complete reform of the entire system and that has to start at the top.

obviously you dont know what he is really doing, you are only hearing what the lying or misinformed teachers tell you.

the ohio schools are loosing a lot of stimulus money from the fed, Kasich is giving the schools more money, he is also trying to make the school system more efficient by reducing the administration benefits to a reasonable level, and trying to get the money to benifit the children and not the administration.

the school systems will not be destroyed by gov kasiach no matter what the teachers tell you, they are just bitter because it effects their cozyness, what he is doing is making it more efficient which is what is needed to be done.

Kasich said he is not cutting state funding, yet the "equipment" tax that business pay was 70% given to local schools BUT is now 100% to the state. So schools are loosing money anywhere from 6%-30% aid. At Marysville this is a $1.6 million dollar loose next year and $1.3 million each year after.

80% of Columbus City children get free lunches because their parents can't afford food. How are they supposed to pay to send their kids to get educated? If those kids are not educated they will 100% end up like their parents living off the system.

In South-Western schools, 50percent of kindergartners from poor families began the year with serious literacy deficits. Only 15percent of their peers who don't live in poverty did.

The disparity shows up in wealthier suburban districts, too. In Dublin schools, 42.5 percent of economically disadvantaged students came to school without the basics. Only 9percent of their peers did. Sunday Dispatch

Imagine not teaching your own children ABC's or 123's before they went to kindergarten. Not teaching them how to write there name, never reading a book to them. That is what poverty parents statistically do!

"When we don’t get the results we want in our military endeavors, we don’t blame the soldiers. We don’t say, “It’s these lazy soldiers and their bloated benefits plans! That’s why we haven’t done better in Afghanistan!" No, if the results aren’t there, we blame the planners. We blame the generals, the secretary of defense, the Joint Chiefs of Staff. No one contemplates blaming the men and women fighting every day in the trenches for little pay and scant recognition.

And yet in education we do just that. When we don’t like the way our students score on international standardized tests, we blame the teachers. "

NYTimes

I am a teacher, a great teacher. I have received a 0.8% raise in the past 4 years. In the town I work, the average person's salary raise was 4.6% over the past 4 years. I have a Bachelors and Masters degree yet I make 14% less then someone in the private sector. People are so quick to blame the teacher for the short comings of students, high taxes, and anger.

We work hard and get paid very low. I DO NOT work 6 hours a day, I put in 8-10 hours. Teaching is hard no matter what anyone says. Nationwide, 46 percent of teachers quit before their fifth year. -NYTimes

I agree the moneys can be spent better in terms of buildings and such, but a lot of those projects are financed from the state and federal government for improvements.

Property taxes can be lowered, higher pay for teachers, more aid to help those in need.

" “How do we pay for this?” — well, how are we paying for three concurrent wars? How did we pay for the interstate highway system? Or the bailout of the savings and loans in 1989 and that of the investment banks in 2008? How did we pay for the equally ambitious project of sending Americans to the moon? We had the vision and we had the will and we found a way. " NYTimes

• Upvote 1

Kasich said he is not cutting state funding, yet the "equipment" tax that business pay was 70% given to local schools BUT is now 100% to the state. So schools are loosing money anywhere from 6%-30% aid. At Marysville this is a $1.6 million dollar loose next year and $1.3 million each year after.

80% of Columbus City children get free lunches because their parents can't afford food. How are they supposed to pay to send their kids to get educated? If those kids are not educated they will 100% end up like their parents living off the system.

In South-Western schools, 50percent of kindergartners from poor families began the year with serious literacy deficits. Only 15percent of their peers who don't live in poverty did.

The disparity shows up in wealthier suburban districts, too. In Dublin schools, 42.5 percent of economically disadvantaged students came to school without the basics. Only 9percent of their peers did. Sunday Dispatch

Imagine not teaching your own children ABC's or 123's before they went to kindergarten. Not teaching them how to write there name, never reading a book to them. That is what poverty parents statistically do!

"When we don’t get the results we want in our military endeavors, we don’t blame the soldiers. We don’t say, “It’s these lazy soldiers and their bloated benefits plans! That’s why we haven’t done better in Afghanistan!" No, if the results aren’t there, we blame the planners. We blame the generals, the secretary of defense, the Joint Chiefs of Staff. No one contemplates blaming the men and women fighting every day in the trenches for little pay and scant recognition.

And yet in education we do just that. When we don’t like the way our students score on international standardized tests, we blame the teachers. "

NYTimes

I am a teacher, a great teacher. I have received a 0.8% raise in the past 4 years. In the town I work, the average person's salary raise was 4.6% over the past 4 years. I have a Bachelors and Masters degree yet I make 14% less then someone in the private sector. People are so quick to blame the teacher for the short comings of students, high taxes, and anger.

We work hard and get paid very low. I DO NOT work 6 hours a day, I put in 8-10 hours. Teaching is hard no matter what anyone says. Nationwide, 46 percent of teachers quit before their fifth year. -NYTimes

I agree the moneys can be spent better in terms of buildings and such, but a lot of those projects are financed from the state and federal government for improvements.

Property taxes can be lowered, higher pay for teachers, more aid to help those in need.

" “How do we pay for this?” — well, how are we paying for three concurrent wars? How did we pay for the interstate highway system? Or the bailout of the savings and loans in 1989 and that of the investment banks in 2008? How did we pay for the equally ambitious project of sending Americans to the moon? We had the vision and we had the will and we found a way. " NYTimes

So much truth...

I have a Bachelors and Masters degree yet I make 14% less then someone in the private sector.

You also only work 8 months worth out of the year (summer, Xmas break, spring break). Assuming the private sector works 11 months (due to holiday/vacation time), you technically make 11% MORE than the private sector. Teachers are very quick to forget the massive amount of days they don't work.

Ding! Ding! Ding! I'd also add; more kids = more tax. I don't think it's fair for you to pay the same amount to send your 6 kids through the system as the person who sends their 1 child through. You fuck more. You pay more.

I agree. Everyone should contribute but those with kids currently in the system should pay by the number and have to do volunteer work.

So school should be 50 kids per teacher, with a few part time aids to make it legal, no gym, no art, and the shittiest cheapest teacher they can find? Thats whats going to happen in a lot of these districts. School districts DRIVE property values, if not for helping the youth thats a great reason to invest in schools. No one will want to move to a town/neighborhood with a shit stripped down district.

At least someone gets it. Areas with good schools attract premium buyers and bring in businesses. When a new school is built and it improves the area around you and your able to sell you house for more money you going to bitch about it? No but you will bitch when the school around you receives a terrible rating and people flee like cock roaches to put their kids into better schools and your home values plummet. Go ahead and piss on the schools and see which has greater consequences to your community and your wallet.

Hell lets just privatize the entire community and have it fair for everyone. Make every road a toll road. If you want to drive further than me you have to pay more than me. We're using the same road but you pay more bc your doing more damage. We shouldn't be paying the same taxes. Those of you that like to have parks should have to pay for them. I dont use those costly eye sores so I shouldn't have to pay for them, we should charge you admittance. Lets do tiered pricing on public utilities. I shouldn't have to pay the same sewage bills as the fat guy beside me who shits more than me. Our pricing should be different bc Im not driving up the demand like that guy.

Hell lets just privatize the entire community and have it fair for everyone. Make every road a toll road. If you want to drive further than me you have to pay more than me. We're using the same road but you pay more bc your doing more damage. We shouldn't be paying the same taxes. Those of you that like to have parks should have to pay for them. I dont use those costly eye sores so I shouldn't have to pay for them, we should charge you admittance. Lets do tiered pricing on public utilities. I shouldn't have to pay the same sewage bills as the fat guy beside me who shits more than me. Our pricing should be different bc Im not driving up the demand like that guy.

This sounds just about perfect.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone that works 7-8 months a year and makes 65,000+ a year in a town that has an average salary of 28,000. Even worse is the administrators that make up 5% of the faculty and make 95% of the money will be cutting teachers, janitors, etc (95% of the faculty that fights for 5% of the money). Yet everyone will just sit back and watch it happen while they bitch and moan that someone should do something.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone that works 7-8 months a year and makes 65,000+ a year in a town that has an average salary of 28,000.

Comparing the salary of someone with a college degree in an important function like teaching to the masses of unskilled labor working at walmart, pizza shops, gas stations and every other little mom and pop place bringing down that average is a pretty valid argument. You've swayed my vote, they are most certainly not worth their pay.

Your right, when the average american is struggling we should tax the hell out of the people that invested in their community (property owners). Then we'll make as many public schools, parks, other activities free to everyone so in small towns like mine the welfare rats that plop out as many children as possible because their income goes up, can take advantage of all their free shit while they just pay rent and still don't contribute to raising their own children.

112 Billion dollars over the next 2 years for 4,000 Ohio schools.....and they are over budget? 35% of that is spent on non-instructional activities. Seems to me there is a big difference between intelligence and education.