Rotary Engine Assembly Tonight, Nothing Special...

KD93R1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear ... it's like some of you folks don't like car tech at all. It's incredibly simple, and makes efficient power.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k21/sol740/grem.jpg

As the dorito passes over each chamber it kills each gremlin with oil, watery oil, which creates 2 more gremlins that are then killed in the following chamber.

Science.

Now I get it. See how simple that was?

Where are the pistons? Did you forget them?

He's not using the normal rotary pistons. He's planning on using a nice set of rectangle pistons. Probably going to have to over night them from Japan. But he can always just put them on Harry's tab.

What are the specs of the new motor?

I actually just had a leak at the rear iron that needed fixed. While it was there I had Peter make me an OMP block off, repaint the engine, Delrin motor mounts, RX8 water pump gasket, new oil pan, new ACT clutch, light weight flywheel, new counter weight, and a Garfinkle oil pan brace. A few of my specs are: half bridgeport, 2mm aviation apex seals, Mazda corner seals and springs, and a T04r with supporting mods.

I actually just had a leak at the rear iron that needed fixed. While it was there I had Peter make me an OMP block off, repaint the engine, Delrin motor mounts, RX8 water pump gasket, new oil pan, new ACT clutch, light weight flywheel, new counter weight, and a Garfinkle oil pan brace. A few of my specs are: half bridgeport, 2mm aviation apex seals, Mazda corner seals and springs, and a T04r with supporting mods.

Sounds like a great setup

yeah those Aviation springs arent that great, good thing you went stock. why not 3mm seals its the bees knees now haha. I think im going to take my apart this weekend and see what is going on inside for fun. might upgrade a couple things as well.

Im sitting with a full bridge with stock twins, twins for break in until the single is on the way. maybe ill try and make it out before the end of the month

Over/Under on when you sheer the teeth off of 3rd gear due to Trans. case flex?

Sounds like a great setup

Yeah, I like the car how it is right now. If I have to do it all over again, I will be changing a few things.

yeah those Aviation springs arent that great, good thing you went stock. why not 3mm seals its the bees knees now haha. I think im going to take my apart this weekend and see what is going on inside for fun. might upgrade a couple things as well.

Im sitting with a full bridge with stock twins, twins for break in until the single is on the way. maybe ill try and make it out before the end of the month

If I do another build, it will be 3mm rotors with Goopy seals. I'd like to see your car sometime this summer.

Over/Under on when you sheer the teeth off of 3rd gear due to Trans. case flex?

Are you talking about the delrin mounts not flexing enough to absorb the vibrations?

honestly the whole debate between 3mm and 2mm seals is over rated, i run 2mm super seals with no issues. and every motor we have built runs 2mm unless the owner wants 3mm and i dont see any real performance difference between the two. a well built motor running 2mm seals can handle as much boost as a motor with 3mm, and you also dont have to get your rotors milled to fit the bigger seals, i know first hand we have dealt with some motors with idle issues using 3MM.

honestly the whole debate between 3mm and 2mm seals is over rated, i run 2mm super seals with no issues. and every motor we have built runs 2mm unless the owner wants 3mm and i dont see any real performance difference between the two. a well built motor running 2mm seals can handle as much boost as a motor with 3mm, and you also dont have to get your rotors milled to fit the bigger seals, i know first hand we have dealt with some motors with idle issues using 3MM.

probably because they wered milled corrected...3mm is primary used for higher horsepower engines. although they are common in low horsepower just because people are trying to establish some sense of reliablity which isnt going to happen from that.

It would seem to me there would, and could not be any possible gain w/3mm seals, OR ELSE MAZDA WOULDA USED EM???????;););).

The only reason I can see 3mm even being an option is that slot for seal in rotor is beyond acceptable tolerance and the only way to prevent replacing it is to machine out grove & use 3mm seals. If bigger, or in this case wider seal is superior, then why not a 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, etc. etc. etc......??????

Why have more friction, or you know, more surface area rubbin the rotor housing??? Makes no sense to me at all. Why reduce the size of the combustion chamber???? 2mm is the way to go in my opinion.

For example, if a fella had brand spankin new rotors, which would be set up for 2mm seals, would ya machine em out for 3mm???? I would think not!!!

However, I am not an expert on these by any means and as I'm sure everyone has determined by now, my car is all show and no go.

I love the black car, but the silver thing you're building.....keep it out and plug in a V8. You will be much happier in the end.

You know it would require a v12 to surpass a 2 rotor engine (usually) right?

I've been part of some v-8 builds, they are fun too, to each his own. Personally, I have no interest what-so-ever in workin on anything w/pistons, not after having a rotary. Nothin better than a 10000cc dirt bike w/4 tires.

Nice build. What's the silver rotary project being referred to?

Re 2mm vs 3mm: it was always my understanding that the reliability difference wasn't so much the size of the seal but the construction being 2 piece or 3 piece seals. The factory 2mm seals that everyone hated so much were 3 pieces, which Mazda later updated to be 2 piece seals.

I think that in the beginning the 3mm seals were the only 2 piece option and that's why people portrayed them as more reliable. Now that there are plenty of 2 piece 2mm seals I would put those down as my preference in a build unless as stated there is damage to the rotor in which it needs milled anyway.

Nice build. What's the silver rotary project being referred to?

Re 2mm vs 3mm: it was always my understanding that the reliability difference wasn't so much the size of the seal but the construction being 2 piece or 3 piece seals. The factory 2mm seals that everyone hated so much were 3 pieces, which Mazda later updated to be 2 piece seals.

I think that in the beginning the 3mm seals were the only 2 piece option and that's why people portrayed them as more reliable. Now that there are plenty of 2 piece 2mm seals I would put those down as my preference in a build unless as stated there is damage to the rotor in which it needs milled anyway.

chirs i believe they are referring to the engine it self as the silver thing. also as stated the only way i would run 3mm is if my rotors were beyond tolerance.

Yo know I never thought of it that way, 2pc vrs 3pc and 2mm only in 3pc earlier. Thats a good point, valid no doubt. I use RA 2mm 2pc myself.

I am also assuming the silver thing is the actual engine itself.

Dude this rain sucks.