Photography Guys

GilbWs6

Wife and I just had our first baby on Wednesday. I've always hated "picture time" but over the past few days I've become quite the amateur photographer using my parents Nikon D60. I'm wanting to buy my own digital camera. Want to spend under $1,000 (even less if possible). I've been looking at the Canon Rebel T2i. Any advice would be appreciated.

having switched from Canon to Nikon, i hvae to tell you, if you are used to the D60, i'd suggest staying with Nikon. the D90 can EASILY be had for well under 1000 (i got mine at Xmas for ~700 for the body) You could get body and a kit lens for 8-900..

I am very happy i made the switch. I still miss the way the canon feels, but I am very content with the d90.

I won't talk price as it's your budget. I will tell you that you can spend as little or as much on a body as you want, but without good glass, it won't matter. I chuckled even just today when I saw a guy at a school event at Grace Bretheren with a $1,800 Canon Body and a shitty kit lens attached to it. (insert me shaking my head)

I've been shooting for nearly 20 years and am 110% confident I can kick ass with a cheap ass body. However, not as much as I would given good glass. Even my non DSLR cameras are all world renowned for having great lenses. I select them based on lenses too.

If money is a concern, invest it in the glass and skimp on the body. Kit lenses from both manufacturers are typically crap. Bodies today all have great sensors and cheap lenses will show flaws and lack of color or contrast more than on bodies of years ago. Cheap lenses will also not likely keep up focus wise with the capability of the camera either.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Edited by TTQ B4U

I like the Nikon a lot, I've just heard a lot of good things about the Rebel line. Also, is it worth buying an iMac? I've never owned an Apple product in my life... Could I get just as much out of a good PC for less money?

Edit: when you say a cheap body, how cheap and how knock off of a brand? Or name brand, lower level body?

I like the Nikon a lot, I've just heard a lot of good things about the Rebel line. Also, is it worth buying an iMac? I've never owned an Apple product in my life... Could I get just as much out of a good PC for less money?

Edit: when you say a cheap body, how cheap and how knock off of a brand? Or name brand, lower level body?

Camera: I'm biased. Stick to Nikon or Canon. Sony makes some kick ass sensors but I can't comment enough on their lens selection or quality. Pentax and Panny makes some good stuff, but they are far from the best or top in terms of options. Try and bump your budget to $1,500. Don't get too confused. You're going to look at 2-3 different cameras. Which one should you buy? One of them.

Computer wise, I built my system for about $1,100 back in Jan and it's a bad ass photo editing system.http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/131993449 Mac's are great, they do process their calculations and graphics way better so in the end, they are faster and better for imaging, but I am not about to invest the extra money in what they have to offer overall. Besides, I can get software for a PC like water. :whistle: Not so with Macs. Perhaps others here can.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Thanks for the advice guys. Gonna go look around this week. I'm getting very comfortable with the Nikon so I will probably go that route. Fortunately I have Mom's until I find one. She wants as many pictures of her new grand daughter as possible.

The 50mm lives on my camera.

I love it on my 5Dmk2, its a bit tight on my 40D, but as I mentioned, its great for babies on that body.

On the 5Dmk2 its a decent walk around lens if your not shooting small or distant wildlife.

I just got a Nikon D3100 a few months ago at Costco. It was the camera with 2 lenses, bag, card, battery. Its been a great starter kit. It was $700

This is the camera I've been looking at the most.

Now leaning toward this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+D5100+16.2-Megapixel+DSLR+Camera+with+18-55mm+VR+Lens+-+Black/1989073.p?id=1218304515656&skuId=1989073&st=d5100&cp=1&lp=1

Should I buy the body only for $799 and upgrade the glass or should I just go with this?

Edited by GilbWs6
grammar

Now leaning toward this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+-+D5100+16.2-Megapixel+DSLR+Camera+with+18-55mm+VR+Lens+-+Black/1989073.p?id=1218304515656&skuId=1989073&st=d5100&cp=1&lp=1

Should I buy the body only for $799 and upgrade the glass or should I just go with this?

I talked to my buddy who went to New England School of Photography for 4 years, worked at a camera shop for 6 years, and is now the photog for Ferrari of New England about what a good starter camera is.

He said without a doubt the Nikon D3100 is the best route if you want video capability, D3000 if not.

Now leaning toward this

I would buy the 3100 and use the extra money to invest in a great piece of glass. You can take pics with the kit lenses and it will work fine for a newborn, but once they start moving you'll get frustrated with it. Buys you some time should you keep it though.

I must say between the 5100 and 3100 Nikon really limits the features of these cameras though. I'm a Canon guy though.

I love it on my 5Dmk2, its a bit tight on my 40D, but as I mentioned, its great for babies on that body.

On the 5Dmk2 its a decent walk around lens if your not shooting small or distant wildlife.

On the Canon I would get the 15-85 IS as a "Walk-around" lens. Pick up a used 430ex since that lens is a *Little* slow and you have a better combo then pricey 17-55/2.8 IS -- IMO.

50 is a bit long on a crop -- unless you are just going for creative / DOF images. Great for low-light though :) The 1.8 50mm is stupid cheap though so I'd get one regardless...

Jeff

On the Canon I would get the 15-85 IS as a "Walk-around" lens. Pick up a used 430ex since that lens is a *Little* slow and you have a better combo then pricey 17-55/2.8 IS -- IMO.

50 is a bit long on a crop -- unless you are just going for creative / DOF images. Great for low-light though :) The 1.8 50mm is stupid cheap though so I'd get one regardless...

Jeff

On a crop body, I'd recommend a 30 or 35 mm. It's perfect.