Saturn Ion noise/wheel bearing

Patrick

07 Ion, a humming noise starts at about 25 and gets progressively louder the faster you go. Engine speed does not effect it. From googling it, it sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Am I correct in assuming this and if so, is it difficult to replace?

Yes it sounds like a wheel bearing issue. Usually if you're going around a curve one way or the other the sound will either get worse or quieter depending on which way you're turning.

At any rate, they arent difficult to replace. Its either 3 or 4 bolts that hold it on after you take the cv shaft nut, brake caliper and rotor off. By turning the wheel to the left or right, you should be able to get to the bolts using a socket, ratchet, and extension.

Very likely a wheel bearing, I've done a couple withhand tools in a driveway so its not impossible. A swivel socket is almost neccesary on most wheel bearings, but not positive the size on an Ion off the top of my head. I'm thinking 13mm and an axle nut socket maybe 34mm not positive about that either.

Yeah it doesn't look terrible to do at all. She'll let me know if the noise changes. If its the bearing (strongly leaning towards now) recommendations on part brand? May just get the Saturn one.

I usually just go with the Napa replacement parts, and I have not had a problem. I think Scott is right on the socket sizes, although I'm not 100% on that. Make sure you unplug any ABS connectors before you go ripping things off.

Yeah it doesn't look terrible to do at all. She'll let me know if the noise changes. If its the bearing (strongly leaning towards now) recommendations on part brand? May just get the Saturn one.

The GM part is pricey I'll bet, NAPA or Timken is what I'd buy.