What do I need to make an Aviator tow 5000lbs easily and safely?

V8 Beast

I assume it has the factory tow package? If so, it probably already has an extra cooler or two? A search shows it has a 7k+ lb rating from Lincoln with the AWD.

You have plenty of engine.

Will you be using a trailer with brakes?

The worst thing I can see about towing with that is the wheelbase is pretty short. It might get a little squirrelly at times.

I'd slap some load levelers on, use a trailer with brakes if at all possible, and go for it. BTW, I sat in a loaded Aviator and Navigator last week, and they do indeed have a surprisingly nice interior.

If you are towing 5k lbs, I am assuming you want to tow a car?

- Load levelers will be pointless if you load the car correctly on the trailer

- The trailer SHOULD have electric brakes. You need to add an electric brake controller. I run the Tekonsha Prodigy, but they have released the Prodigy P2 now as well - considered one of the best brake controllers out there. Your Avaitor may already have a factory wiring harness to make it easy to wire up the controller - my Avalanche did, making it very simple to install.

- Tranny cooler is a 100% must, and don't assume because you have a tow package it will have one (mine didn't). I've been running this one for over 5 years and it works very well.

- Not sure what motor is in your SUV. I know the 4.6 in my 06 F150 company truck is a dog...I wouldn't want to tow 5,000lbs with it! I will assume if yours is rated to tow 7k like Vince said, you may have a different motor.

- I wouldn't worry about aftermarket brakes, suspension, etc. at this point.

The 4.6 is rated to around 7000, Vince is right. Thanks Joe, I need to find a place that rents braked trailors. Cant buy one due to the housing association in my area.

P.S. Thanks for the PM J.. Now I know why you sent it.

If you are towing 5k lbs, I am assuming you want to tow a car?

- Load levelers will be pointless if you load the car correctly on the trailer

Completely false, man. I towed my first car trailer for 5+ years with and without the levelers installed on many different trucks. They absolutely make a ton of difference.

Completely false, man. I towed my first car trailer for 5+ years with and without the levelers installed on many different trucks. They absolutely make a ton of difference.

I've towed my 18' car hauler with 3000-5000lbs worth of vehicles on it - 75MPH on the freeway, tows great. If I pull the car too far forward it rides a little weird, but properly centered it tows as well as anything else I've put behind the truck, and you barely notice it back there. Actually, the trailer tows better with a car on it than it does empty.

+1 on Load Levelers, and this would obviously be unlikely on a rental trailer, but if somehow you end up purchasing one an anti-sway bar would be nice on such a (relatively) light suv. I've done a lot of towing with a variety of trucks and the lighter ones will get pushed around by a trailer of any weight, especially going down hills. My dad's cummins ram is the first one heavy enough to not really get much "sway".