Tail of the Dragon!!!!!

Cujo159

Alright, I know I'm new here, but I've been hearing about the tail of the dragon for over a year and a half now and I'm itching to go. Epecially since I'm a lot closer to it than when I was living in Florida.

So who's down for this trip?

I'm game to organize it with a little help. I was thinking sometime in late July, early August. Should give people enough time to clear their schedules or make sure they aren't busy. I work weekends every 3rd week so I'll atleast be planning this before or after one of those weekend.

Let me know guys! This would be an awesome weekend trip!!!

Where/what is 555? I'd go mid week if it weren't for this thing called work.. :p

search triple nickel in ohio. 555 is the state route in south eastern ohio its a really curvey country road. becareful some corners have loose gravel. and we got chased by a loose dog, lol

555 is a state route in south-east ohio that is as close as you get to the dragon. It's a region that's frequented by the likes of Car and Driver and the other magazines as it's close to them and there are many other great roads down there.

dragon is a awesome scenic drive - 555 has less traffic so it can be fun but... the dragon is sooooo much better for overall experience.

That's what I'm all about. The experience. Besides I've seen the scenery of that area and it's definitely something I want to visit.

Just got back from a week at the Dragon yesterday. The Dragon is only one of many great drives in that immediate area.

I do agree that running the Dragon is much more fun and safer during the week. We spent the weekend either drinking at Fontana Village or driving other roads in the area.

If you plan a weekend trip, search to make sure there are no large events the same weekend. Last weekend was the annual Zdayz event, nearly 500 registered attendees and probably ~200 that didn't bother to register, it made for crowded roads.

Yea good call. I had a friend from cincy that went to that. Looked like fun. I used to own a 350Z but had to trade it in for my STI since it would have killed me driving it in the snow. It was my only car.

How far away is 555? About the same area?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Ohio+555,+Ohio&aq=&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.646818,84.990234&ie=UTF8&geocode=FbWaWwIdpW0d-w&split=0&hq=&hnear=Ohio+555,+Ohio&ll=39.630019,-81.97998&spn=0.240093,0.663986&z=11

If you do the Dagon, get up early and prep your car to be sure you are making a sunrise run. The air will still be crisp and there should be light, or no traffic (great for filming).. was going to post pic from 555, but they are all on a friends Facebook page.

I have only been one time. Casper has been several and may shed more light. We went on a Saturday with great weather, and there were 3 slow downs that were local farm equipment. Other than that we were at the limits of the law and our ability.

Im actually hoping to setup another event this year before the season is out. It will consist of 555 plus a couple others Im currently holding out on. ;) 555 is not for a car or driver that's not prepared. I generally go mid week, too, as I never hit traffic or law enforcement. I've been out driving East and SE Ohio numerous times. It's what I do. haha

I have only been one time. Casper has been several and may shed more light. We went on a Saturday with great weather, and there were 3 slow downs that were local farm equipment. Other than that we were at the limits of the law and our ability.

My favorite road. Just don't be a jackass and don't cross the center line. You never know when a motorcyclist is coming around a blind corner.