Mazdaspeed3 Mods

Flyin Miata

Just bought an 08 Mazdaspeed3, I know there are at least a couple people on here with them. What is a good route to start with for basic engine mods? Any recommendations on companies to stick with? Cobb, CP-E, etc. Basically I'm just looking for opinions here, it's a daily driver but that doesn't mean I can't have some fun with it.

Biggest thing I'm looking at now is intake and exhaust, but there are so many out there that I can't decide. Corksport exhaust sounds pretty good, anyone have some different?

Goal is to have a quick daily driver that can handle some autocross duty as well, but reliability is key. I've been checking out the RMM, did you go with the 60 or 75? From what I'm reading the 60 might be a better choice since I drive it to work every day. How does this change the feel of the car? I'm starting to get used to the finicky shifting on this car but it still takes time.

I have 2 friends that own these, I personally do not know anything about them, but I always over hear them bitching about a 2nd fuel pump that is actually located inside the engine that is prone to failure.

I have 2 friends that own these, I personally do not know anything about them, but I always over hear them bitching about a 2nd fuel pump that is actually located inside the engine that is prone to failure.

It's direct injection, so it has a cam driven fuel pump.

I have not heard of them being a major source of failure, but I've been out of the Mazda loop for a while.

Why even post if you don't know anything?

OP, stick to the basics, like Jones said. Intercooler, tune, done. Once you put a large exhaust on a 4 cylinder car you will hate daily driving it.

Basics are best. Check out the Mazda 247 board. Be prepared to get mixed results of great things and those that go zoom-zoom-boom.

Motor Mount, Shifter Bushings, CAI, Boost Tubes is what would leave it at. The stock IC is fine for daily play. If you do road course racing, perhaps upgrade it and add a downpipe and tune. However, leave the boost below 20lbs or you will eventually go boom. Rods are the weak point. I'd also leave the exhaust alone. IMO it sounds good stock and unless you do a full exhaust from motor back, the rest is just expensive noise.

I'll be at C&C in the morning. Hope you can make it.

Basics are best. Check out the Mazda 247 board. Be prepared to get mixed results of great things and those that go zoom-zoom-boom.

Motor Mount, Shifter Bushings, CAI, Boost Tubes is what would leave it at. The stock IC is fine for daily play. If you do road course racing, perhaps upgrade it and add a downpipe and tune. However, leave the boost below 20lbs or you will eventually go boom. Rods are the weak point. I'd also leave the exhaust alone. IMO it sounds good stock and unless you do a full exhaust from motor back, the rest is just expensive noise.

I'll be at C&C in the morning. Hope you can make it.

Exactly what I was going to post. Hell, the mount and shifter bushings will completely change the feel of that car alone.

Just bought an 08 Mazdaspeed3, I know there are at least a couple people on here with them. What is a good route to start with for basic engine mods? Any recommendations on companies to stick with? Cobb, CP-E, etc. Basically I'm just looking for opinions here, it's a daily driver but that doesn't mean I can't have some fun with it.

Biggest thing I'm looking at now is intake and exhaust, but there are so many out there that I can't decide. Corksport exhaust sounds pretty good, anyone have some different?

Just make sure you go slow on mods and talk with folks like Patrick aka BIGGU as he took his quite far, but from what I understand from our conversations together, he was never comfortable with the stability of the car from a boom-boom standpoint.

Again, the car if tuned properly is very quick with just a few mods and really responds very well to suspension work making it a great car in the twisties. IMO it's very predictable and I have pushed mine in the corners to some very surprisingly strong speeds without much worry.

Would love to make it to cars and coffee, unfortunately I now live northeast of Cleveland. And I wasn't planning on doing enough to make things go boom, but I would like to get just a little more power. Once I get back into autocrossing again I will be looking into suspension mods, but again being my main and only vehicle it won't be too crazy.

Would love to make it to cars and coffee' date=' unfortunately I now live northeast of Cleveland. And I wasn't planning on doing enough to make things go boom, but I would like to get just a little more power. Once I get back into autocrossing again I will be looking into suspension mods, but again being my main and only vehicle it won't be too crazy.[/quote']

Key is in the launch. Tough car to get perfect but youn easily go from typical low 14.1 to 13.7 or better if you shift it at 5600 and don't spin much.

I like Sure Motorsports products, but they are generally just really nice version of an existing design. I believe they are part of streetunit. I know shifter bushings sound like a strange recommendation, but they change the way the vehicle feels completely durring a shift. All the spongeyness goes away.

If you are looking to change your exhaust for more power- You'll be looking to do it from the turbo back. If you are just looking for more sound- just take one of the resonators off.

My favorite mod so far is the hypertech tuner. It allowed me to take the throttle restriction off and change my idle. The hypertech tuner is great, but does not allow for the granularity of the cobb AP. I can't complain too much- the hypertech costed $322.

I've got an extra dogbone RMM if you are looking to buy a used one.

also, Avoid WOT under 2500-3000 rpms if you dont want the boom.

IMO, Do a intake, rear motor mount and shifter bushings and turbo inlet pipe and you will be set for a long time. I Loved my MS3 but I was always worried about the boom factor.

The Vibrant street power exhaust IMO is the best exhaust for the 3 to the date.

Rear motor mount, a good intake (people were popping motors from going stupid lean when the car first came out), shifter bushings.

Mazdaspeed CAI with CPE hydrosheild FTW. warranty is valid with with oem Mazda

I had Borla for the Miata and absolutely loved it, but I may look into removing a resonator first and see how that sounds. I'm not looking to wake up the whole neighborhood, but I do like a little more growl than stock. I've been actively seeking out new on-ramps for freeways though, I am impressed at just how well this thing sticks.

I like Sure Motorsports products, but they are generally just really nice version of an existing design. I believe they are part of streetunit. I know shifter bushings sound like a strange recommendation, but they change the way the vehicle feels completely durring a shift. All the spongeyness goes away.

If you are looking to change your exhaust for more power- You'll be looking to do it from the turbo back. If you are just looking for more sound- just take one of the resonators off.

My favorite mod so far is the hypertech tuner. It allowed me to take the throttle restriction off and change my idle. The hypertech tuner is great, but does not allow for the granularity of the cobb AP. I can't complain too much- the hypertech costed $322.

I've got an extra dogbone RMM if you are looking to buy a used one.

also, Avoid WOT under 2500-3000 rpms if you dont want the boom.

You have a PM.

This is the best I can do on pictures so far, waiting until I get it waxed before I go do some decent shots. Having a photographer for a dad makes things easy when it comes to access to good cameras.

Out with the old:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/miataman91/244165_10100724441365615_12452484_63999213_6631018_o.jpg

In with the new:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v301/miataman91/256733_10100724446465395_12452484_63999380_7673110_o.jpg

Having a photographer for a dad makes things easy when it comes to access to good cameras.

Make that happen. Your pics thus far make me feel like I have to blink after putting in eye drops. The thick viscous kind.