cheapest flight school in cols?

AWW$HEEET

I'm as cheap as they come, but this is not something you want to skimp on. Real Talk.

That being said, I'm going through Northwest Flyers and am very happy with the group. It's $30/month, but they have a hanger/office/man cave at OSU (24-hr card access at the gate) with a bunch of cool, older guys that pooled their planes together and rent them out. You have access to 6 very well-maintained aircraft and the prices are reasonable. Online scheduling allows me to book time with my CFI and aircraft easily. I'm flying their Cessna 152 and it sits on the ramp next to two 152s that OSU owns...the OSU planes are dirty with a good amount of wear and tear on them. My CFI is a great guy and he charges $40 an hour.

I know I could maybe get $5-10/hr cheaper on the CFI, or $10-20 per wet hour cheaper on a Cessna 152, but the whole program is great, very flexible, and I feel very comfortable with NW Flyers so far.

I'm as cheap as they come, but this is not something you want to skimp on. Real Talk.

That being said, I'm going through Northwest Flyers and am very happy with the group. It's $30/month, but they have a hanger/office/man cave at OSU (24-hr card access at the gate) with a bunch of cool, older guys that pooled their planes together and rent them out. You have access to 6 very well-maintained aircraft and the prices are reasonable. Online scheduling allows me to book time with my CFI and aircraft easily. I'm flying their Cessna 152 and it sits on the ramp next to two 152s that OSU owns...the OSU planes are dirty with a good amount of wear and tear on them. My CFI is a great guy and he charges $40 an hour.

I know I could maybe get $5-10/hr cheaper on the CFI, or $10-20 per wet hour cheaper on a Cessna 152, but the whole program is great, very flexible, and I feel very comfortable with NW Flyers so far.

So what is your private going to end up costing? Any idea what you pay total per hour? Also, are the ground classes required or can you just put in your 40hrs and then test?

How long does it take?

how much $ do you have?

40 hrs flying, plus ground school. Estimate $4k to get your VFR private pilots' license, that's assuming $100/hr for plane and CFI together (low from what I've priced out). I pay $75/hour "wet" - which includes cost of plane AND fuel - for the Cessna 152 and $40/hour for Bill, my CFI. I already had 8 hours in FL back in 2007 and I paid $100/hr for CFI and his plane, a 1973 Cessna 172M. That was a good deal and I should've racked up more hours before moving back to Ohio. :)

You can take the written test after a few hours with a CFI. They need to sign off before you take it. I also bought a $400 home kit from Sporty's which was very helpful. Also, I highly recommend getting Microsoft Flight Simulator X and a good stick for your computer...I know a lot of pilots that play this game in the winter when they don't want to fly.

Now, you can also get your LSA (Light Sport Aircraft) license which is 20hrs and other bennies, but you're restricted to LSA aircraft which can't hold more than 2 people or go faster than 120KIAS...also no night/IFR flying.

Oh, you'll need a good headset. Buy one used (I did) or expect to pay $200-$250 for a comfortable starter set. Don't skimp here, either. It's noisy inside a prop plane...if you can't hear the radio or ATC you'll add a lot of discomfort to yourself.

It's definitely an expensive habit, but there really isn't anything else like it. Part of the reason of selling the Corvette was to finish my licensing requirements. :) Plus, once I'm done with my CFI it'll be nice to have a few well-maintained aircraft from NW Flyers to rent from when I want to go flying...I'm a buy-and-hold kinda guy, but there is no way I want to buy a plane until I pay off my mortgage first and do a Factory Five Cobra. Renting is the way to go!!!

I just signed up for flight "school" myself, my wife found a coupon one one of those local coupon places which made it $75 an hour for instructor and plane / fuel... I will try to find out where it's at and repost (paperwork is in my car)

http://www.columbusnorthwestflyers.com/

I found a couple of cheaper deals earlier this year when I was looking for a CFI, but I did want to fly in/out of KOSU. Learning from a tower-controlled airport is helpful, plus it's closer to my house. Downside is it's an expensive airport (relative to the area) to be based out of so I couldn't find cheaper schools out of OSU. Again, I might be able to save $20 or so every hour by flying out of Delaware, Marysville, Bolton Field, but drive time wasn't worth it to me.

Hope this helps.

Gabe you lookin to plow into some buildings? Is trolling getting too boring now you want to cause some real drama?

yeah imma troll the cmh dummies.

troll1212: breaker breaker 1 2 niner, im comin in for a landing.

cmh tower: lol que?

troll1212: si. you faggets awake? eat a Jet A dick.

• Upvote 1

This is where my brother went to get his license. He was working on his pilots license before he had his drivers license, and is a very, VERY competent pilot.

I've been looking into LSA acft for a bit now. After you have completed the required training, is there a yearly "check ride" or APART type evaluation to stay certified?

You will need a flight review with a flight instructor every two years.

just picked up my commercial license, with instrument rating and BE400/MU300 type rating and I only have 200 hours. Military Competency test took me 15mins. Air Force is definitely a cheap way to go ;) but it is definitely a much different beast and will cost you in other ways

• 2 weeks later...
they do lessons out of port columubus? That's a pretty big airport, (and international if I'm not mistaken) so wouldn't it be too busy to have a little plane putting around the area for classes? I would think you'd be better off going to one of the smaller airports for classes.

they do lessons out of port columubus? That's a pretty big airport, (and international if I'm not mistaken) so wouldn't it be too busy to have a little plane putting around the area for classes? I would think you'd be better off going to one of the smaller airports for classes.

My brother has flown little two seaters out of port columbus before. He said he has had 3+ planes behind him lined up waiting for him to take off lol

CMH is one of the smallest airports in the US. International due to the turbo prop that flyies to toronto once a day.

There are only 3 or 4 "busy" times per day at CMH, that's when there are 3 or 4 jets leaving. All airports have to allow general aviation.