German car help: Suspension noise after Coilovers

Aaron

So I installed Pss10's about a month and a half ago with the help of Patterson.

I replaced every nut and bolt, strut bearings and mounts, as well as the coilovers. Everything is new. Ended up tearing the outer driverside tire rod, so there is a new one of those too.

Fast forward to about a week ago and I am getting some noise at low speed from what seems to be the front end. It feels and sounds like a muted clunk. Doesn't sound metallic. Sounds soft, and can be felt in the steering wheel and leg tunnel.

There is NO noises of any kind at any speed above 10mph. It is only at lower speeds, lets say under 10 mph.

I checked all of the bolts that were replaced and they are all tight.

My thoughts are the strut mounts/bearings.

Anyone familiar with this stuff that would be able to help diagnose?

Thanks guys.

So I installed Pss10's about a month and a half ago with the help of Patterson.

I replaced every nut and bolt, strut bearings and mounts, as well as the coilovers. Everything is new. Ended up tearing the outer driverside tire rod, so there is a new one of those too.

Fast forward to about a week ago and I am getting some noise at low speed from what seems to be the front end. It feels and sounds like a muted clunk. Doesn't sound metallic. Sounds soft, and can be felt in the steering wheel and leg tunnel.

There is NO noises of any kind at any speed above 10mph. It is only at lower speeds, lets say under 10 mph.

I checked all of the bolts that were replaced and they are all tight.

My thoughts are the strut mounts/bearings.

Anyone familiar with this stuff that would be able to help diagnose?

Thanks guys.

Strut mounts usually squeak. It could be them though. Why didnt you replace them when you did the coilovers?
:dumb:

Does it change with speed, or is it when you hit bumps?

I can't hear any noise above 10ish mph. It is bump related, and when I stop and the weight transfers back it will thud. It almost feels like the car shifts a bit when coming to a stop.

I doubt it's anything that drastic. Check the end links.

Check them for what? They are attached, and tight lol. They looked fine when I was under there.

These cars have notorious subframe issues. Clunks galore. Mine hasn't had any until after the suspension install.

Stock bolts are only threaded last inch or so. Audi/Passat bolts are threaded all the way.

Check them for what? They are attached, and tight lol. They looked fine when I was under there.

These cars have notorious subframe issues. Clunks galore. Mine hasn't had any until after the suspension install.

Stock bolts are only threaded last inch or so. Audi/Passat bolts are threaded all the way.

Okay, then check the Subframe bolts.

1. Check the torque on all your bolts.

2. Jack the car up and feel for play in the wheel.

3. Report back with findings.

Everything has been triple checked except the mounts/bearings as I haven't wanted to take everything out to do that.

Still researching.

If anyone is free to take a ride to hear it let me know.

Everything has been triple checked except the mounts/bearings as I haven't wanted to take everything out to do that.

Still researching.

If anyone is free to take a ride to hear it let me know.

If you lived in Delaware...

Sorry. Good luck.

Sounds to me like coil binding. Check the pre load that is put on the spring from the spring perch.

PSS10's are not known to have binding issues.

Can you elaborate on how to check this? Not sure what you mean.

Sounds to me like coil binding. Check the pre load that is put on the spring from the spring perch.

I thought along the same lines but I don't think there's a separate pre-load adjustment on Bilstein coilovers, preload is a product of height and there's no separate adjustment. My H&R coilovers on the 996 did the same thing. Springs made noise when turning on the perches, really wasn't much I could do about it other than spray some greas up in there to try to make a little less friction. You can purchase really thin needle bearing plates to place on the top and bottom spring perches if it REALLY annoys you, I just learned to live with it. Only really noticed it at slow speed so I didn't care.

Andy

I thought along the same lines but I don't think there's a separate pre-load adjustment on Bilstein coilovers, preload is a product of height and there's no separate adjustment. My H&R coilovers on the 996 did the same thing. Springs made noise when turning on the perches, really wasn't much I could do about it other than spray some greas up in there to try to make a little less friction. You can purchase really thin needle bearing plates to place on the top and bottom spring perches if it REALLY annoys you, I just learned to live with it. Only really noticed it at slow speed so I didn't care.

Andy

Yeah there are no helper springs or any of that. I checked the nut on the top that holds the strut to the mount/bearing. All tight. I think it is a faulty strut bearing.