Lettuce talk GTO's

3.1cutlass

So after my last thread I have been seriously looking at GTO's. Probably looking at an 04 but an 05 is a possibility if the price is right. What are some problem areas to look for or anything else I should know when looking at one?

2004's go for a lot cheaper.. like, "new heads and cam to destroy 6.0's" cheaper

Exactly. Plus everybody knows LS1>*

Prepare for rear diff assplosion

Not planning anything crazy for it so hopefully not.

Don't believe the hype. If you plan on racing it, wheel-hop is your main concern! My 04 Had the same amount of power of the 05-06 with only a tune.

Thanks, what are some good ways to remedy wheel hop on them?

Stitching on seats separating, cd players are known to break often, crappy stock suspension, some have real bad strut rub, very thin paint, very limited on tire size without a lot of work, diff is rare and sucks, wheel hop is annoying (airbags help) and so on. Those are just a few cons from my personal experience. Although I did have it in for service often, I still loved the car. I miss it all the time....but the color I had chose got old fast.

Every car manufacturer has its ups and downs. I've only had computer problems right off the bat. There are some common issues, once you get past that everything should be good. Yes the paint is aweful thin. Here are some how to's on this issue that everyone has. I hope you can access this website. I really love mine, and won't get rid of it for anything. I would try to stick around the 05-06 years, not saying the 04 is bad at all. Yes the rear wheel hop is extremely painful to go through, I have a built up rear end and shafts and still have wheel hop. Oh well here is the site and hope you can access it http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396955

Good luck and let me know if you need me to come along to view the Goat. I can pick out the flaws pretty quick.

Stitching on seats separating, cd players are known to break often, crappy stock suspension, some have real bad strut rub, very thin paint, very limited on tire size without a lot of work, diff is rare and sucks, wheel hop is annoying (airbags help) and so on. Those are just a few cons from my personal experience. Although I did have it in for service often, I still loved the car. I miss it all the time....but the color I had chose got old fast.

Thanks, I was hoping to hear from you on this because I knew you had one. I will definitely NOT be getting yellow. I would like Quasar Blue or Barbados Blue Metallic.

Every car manufacturer has its ups and downs. I've only had computer problems right off the bat. There are some common issues, once you get past that everything should be good. Yes the paint is aweful thin. Here are some how to's on this issue that everyone has. I hope you can access this website. I really love mine, and won't get rid of it for anything. I would try to stick around the 05-06 years, not saying the 04 is bad at all. Yes the rear wheel hop is extremely painful to go through, I have a built up rear end and shafts and still have wheel hop. Oh well here is the site and hope you can access it http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396955

Good luck and let me know if you need me to come along to view the Goat. I can pick out the flaws pretty quick.

Thanks and the link did work, thanks for that. I will let you know and may take you up on that offer.

Was is a problem on any tire?

Tried 2 different tires. A harder compound and soft(ish) compound. Like a bouncy house both ways. Read up on the GTO forums (a quick search there will award you with a ton of results). Keep in mind that as bad as the hop was, I would DD another one any day of the week. And some folks have had luck getting it <mostly> under control.

Isn't wheel hop usually fixed by installing stiffer bushings?

as far as what to look for right out of the gate strut rub is the biggest and most common probably. Most common in the 04's but I was able to get a good specific alignment using numbers posted on the web and never had any issues after that. 05-06 have a fairly common problem with the ignition cylinder.....not extremely common but common enough. Door actuators is another issue to look for. Had my drivers side go out while it was still under warranty.

Overall they're badass cars for the money. I had a yellow 04 with an 05 hood and loved the car. I got a TON of compliments when driving it....they just aren't that common and people love them when they see them on the street.

Loved my yellowjacket :D

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj37/0rion_album/cotm/IMG_1495-800x600.jpg

Just remembered the only mechanical issue I ever had was that my key got stuck in the driver side door lock.

Parked. Used key to lock door (no idea why). Key decided it liked it in the lock and wouldn't come back out. After 2 hours of trying everything I could think of, it just let go and slid right out. Always used the fob after that.

A little birdy told me that his 6 speed '04 had little problem putting a half car on an Auto '05.

i've had zero issues with my '05. it makes a fantastic daily driver. only irritating thing is that there's no "unlock" button inside the '05's (there is on the '06's). you have to use your FOB to open the car. no keyholes anywhere on the car. other than that, i've had absolutely no wheelhop with 275 nittos. i once averaged 27mpg cruising 70mph to chicago. my car is lightly modded (catback/intake/shifter/tune--375rwhp), and is completely reliable to drive across the country).

that being said, i'm looking to sell mine to get into a 4 door, 500+ hp car. mine has 26k miles and is absolutely mint.

I actually dailyed and drove my gto through the last winter. Car does amazing in the snow and as being a dd. Bought it cheap with 2700 miles on it and now has 19k. mid 20's on gas mileage i actually drive it more than i do my Transam cause thats just how much i enjoy this car.

Strut rub is a big one which can easily be fixed with an aligment luckly mine was fine and didnt need done. And i had the gas cap recall done this past week (factory gas caps leak off and cause a CEL so put a new cap on and now fixed)