$2,700 DSLR repaired or exchanged ?

TTQ B4U

So if you had a piece of DSLR gear that cost $2,700 new, used it for 8 years and it was a great peice of gear, then it began to fail and needed service, would you be more inclined:

To want your exact item repaired and sent back to you or replaced with a brand new (better than your copy) looking item of the same exact model only 4 years newer?

Sounds like an easy answer but is it? Would you want your exact item or a like new refurbished ?

Cost for either is $300.

We could go deeper with follow up questions, blah, blah, but what are your initial thoughts given just the above. I'm interested.

Thanks.

Edited by TTQ B4U

If its a DSLR body to me it wouldn't really matter since the shutter assembly is the only moving part and can be completely replaced anyway. It it were a lens I'd stick with mine if I liked its results refurbed if I liked the quality of the glass already.

it's a lens. Canon sent me a replacement that based on serial number is 4 years newer but of course the same model. did some initial testing and it's a good copy.

just erks me that they said they would repair the one I sent them and then even on the invoice said that yet the unit is not mine.

hmmm....

Ahh the 100-400? You have a motor going out or what?

No, the 28-300L IS was failing. I did send in my 100-400 for new bearings. Got replacements for both. Not sure if I'm happy with that or not.

Lastly, my 1D MKII needed a new shutter. Had over 200k on it, so I'm good with it needing one.

It was an expensive month for gear repairs.