Paint Qs

Draco-REX

I'm thinking of painting my WRX. Since it's a working car and sees a lot of rough treatment, I think a single stage paint is fine enough. I have a friend with an air compressor and a gun. So I was thinking of just spraying it myself. (I know, I know, beware the n00b with the paint gun)

1. How many quarts of color (black, single-stage) should I get?

2. What kind of prep (other than masking and stripping stickers / remaining wax from the paint) do I need to do?

3. Would multiple coats be more durable? (seems obvious, but thought should ask)

4a. How long before it's safe to get it muddy?

4b. How long should the paint cure before I hit it with a wax?

Thanks for any advice.

Get.Off.My.Nuts.

Stop upping your post count with bs posts. PM's are there for a reason fucktard.

As for the OP, what kind of paint are you spraying etc? My father runs the paint store in our local Napa store if you know what your spraying etc. I can get some details if the other gentlemen doesn't post before I do :)

Stop upping your post count with bs posts. PM's are there for a reason fucktard.

As for the OP, what kind of paint are you spraying etc? My father runs the paint store in our local Napa store if you know what your spraying etc. I can get some details if the other gentlemen doesn't post before I do :)

I'm not sure of any specifics. It'd be used in a HVLP gun, and I was thinking of single stage since I wouldn't need to clear. The paint doesn't have to be perfect.

I'm thinking of painting my WRX. Since it's a working car and sees a lot of rough treatment, I think a single stage paint is fine enough. I have a friend with an air compressor and a gun. So I was thinking of just spraying it myself. (I know, I know, beware the n00b with the paint gun)

2. What kind of prep (other than masking and stripping stickers / remaining wax from the paint) do I need to do?

3. Would multiple coats be more durable? (seems obvious, but thought should ask)

Thanks for any advice.

1: 1 gallon should be enough

2 : sand entire car with 320 until no more shinny. use a erd scotch pad to do the edges around the windows and in tight spots etc. no shinny spots

3: you can spray about 3-5 coats with a gal depending on how wet you lay it and how much you are spraying but do at least 3 at least

4a: i would say to get it mudDy and play give it a full month to be safe using single stage

4b: no need to wax it for about 3 WEEKS or so. DO NOT USE A AUTOMATIC CAR WASH OR POWERWASHER for the first 2 months

Edited by STEVE-O

If exterior only, 2 quarts will get it. Jambs too, then get a gallon. I mix a gallon when doing an all over with jambs and still have remaining paint. With 75% spray out overlap it will cover quickly.

Red scotch brite wash twice. Like your scrubbing a pan with dried up shit in it.

Depends actually. Multiple coats will create thicker paint, giving it a better opportunity to peel and chip down the road.

I dont cut and buff single stage until 72 hours after its been sprayed. So I would keep it in that range to make sure its fully cured. If not it will gum up when trying to buff. I know washing and buffing are 2 different things. I have washed fresh single stage within 6 hours of force dry.

I dont wax single stage either, but I would wait 30 days. Typically with single stage, it just gets polished every so often. It will dull down faster then base/clear will. Im not talking month, but over the years.