Cleaning foam pads

unfunnyryan

What do you guys use to get wax out of your pads? I see there is plenty of commercial products available, but is there anything else that works well and wont damage the pads?

I'd love to hear back from some of the detailers on here. I'm getting a nice setup going and would love to keep everything in good condition, considering the money I've sunk into it.

After Im done with my mothers polishing ball and its all black and what not, I just use really hot water and dawn dish soap all on it...

Would wax really be that much different? Or is it pretty much the same. Cause if its the same dawn works amazing.

Good luck!

I just turn on the buffer and hold my hand/finger nails against it or a good absorbing towel. Toothbrushes also work well. I would definitely not wash it, it deteriorates the pad pretty quick.

Where did you get this info? That goes against a lot of what I've read...so far it looks like dawn power dissolver is the way to go according to google..

Any all purpose cleaner like simple green will work. Wet the pad with water, give it a couple shots of simple green, work the pad against itself. Rinse and repeat as needed.

First, try to dedicate your pads to a single product, some products like Waxes and Sealants are very difficult to completely get out of the pads, other products like polishes wash out pretty easily.

IF I'm in a hurry spray with an all purpose cleaner and some dish soap spray out with a hose.

If I'm not in a hurry I wash my pads in the washing machine. Just let them air dry or spin them dry on the buffer as the heat from a dryer will generally screw up the glue for the velcro.

Andy

+1 for dedicating your pads and other tools for specific products. Also, instead of using foam pads I use pads with foam in the middle and microfiber covers so they don't wear out, these can also just be put into my washing machine.