Considering a Sport-Touring Bike - Opinions?

The way I ride really don’t need a sport bike. I’d hate to get rid of the Buell because I love the bike and it’s fun to have the handling and power there when I feel like playing around, it’s just not really that practical. I'm only good for about 150 miles or so in one stint and I'm done for the day. Also, there's basically no storage on the bike, not that I couldn't get some small tail bags or something, but it's just not a touring bike.

So I'm considering a V-Strom or something like it. I’d be in a more comfortable position and have greater range. It makes me feel old considering ditching the Buell because my wrists and back hurt but I don’t really care if it’s still fun to ride. I even considered a dual-sport (KTM maybe) but I’m not sure that’s for me either. At least the V-stroms are known to handle fairly well and are still about as light as my Buell. The V-Strom 650 is no powerhouse but I think the 1000 really isn't necessary, though I may miss the torque of the Buell. I don't ride 2-up because the wife has her own bike, so it would just be my 200 lbs plus any cargo.

So - having said all that, has anyone had a similar experience? An insight/regrets? I heard Ben went to a V-Strom recently so maybe he'll chime in here also.

When I get back from Afghanistan I'm going to look for a low mileage VFR in addition to my R6 so when I take longer trips it isn't so uncomfortable. Have you thought about a VFR?

The concours isn't bad from what I hear either but it is a big bike.

Get a Buell XB12X, I've got about 14,000 trouble free miles on mine and have ridden it to Wisconsin and to Georgia. It's a great bike and has plenty of options for storage. The only downside is you have to have long legs to ride it. I've got a 34" inseam and I can just flat foot it at a stop.

Get a Buell XB12X, I've got about 14,000 trouble free miles on mine and have ridden it to Wisconsin and to Georgia. It's a great bike and has plenty of options for storage. The only downside is you have to have long legs to ride it. I've got a 34" inseam and I can just flat foot it at a stop.

Yeah, I'm a 34" inseam as well. The X is a decent option because it's so similar to my current bike (same bike actually, just different bars, seat, etc), so I'd be pretty familiar with it already. I love the look and feel of the XB series bikes. I have actually even considered swapping some X parts onto my bike, but that just seems wrong.

The major issue I have with staying in the Buell XB family is that because fuel capacity is kinda low, so is the range. I usually get about 160-180 miles max between fuel stops. I'd like to stretch that a bit. I have some other minor complaints about the platform also, such as the heavy clutch and clunky gearbox. I have considered a new clutch ramp to reduce the effort a bit but there's not alot you can do about the transmission. The Harley stuff just isn't as smooth as the imports it seems.

Have you thought about a VFR?

The concours isn't bad from what I hear either but it is a big bike.

I thought about the VFR also. I know a couple of people that have had them and liked them alot. For some reason they seem big to me in person, but to be honest I haven't checked out the V-Strom close up yet, so maybe it's around the same size. I think I'd be more upright on the V-Strom as well, which would help my back alot. I still have to lean a little more than I'd like on the VFR.

I do think the Concours is too big for me.

I guess I need to actually get out to the dealerships and start checking them out in person.

The major issue I have with staying in the Buell XB family is that because fuel capacity is kinda low, so is the range. I usually get about 160-180 miles max between fuel stops. I'd like to stretch that a bit. I have some other minor complaints about the platform also, such as the heavy clutch and clunky gearbox. I have considered a new clutch ramp to reduce the effort a bit but there's not alot you can do about the transmission. The Harley stuff just isn't as smooth as the imports it seems.

Thats about what I get too, if you really want more range some guys have added an auxiliary fuel tank to the bike by putting it in the top luggage box. As for the clutch American sportbike sells a hydraulic clutch kit for it but I dont know how much it helps. If you think the transmission is bad in this you should ride one of the older tube frame Buells, this tranny is butter compared to those, but you are right they are far from import smooth.

It sounds like you're leaning more to the "adventure tour" bikes than the "sport tour" bikes. I really don't have much (any) experience with either, but if i were in the sport tour market, I think I'd have to look at the Honda ST1300 and the Yamaha FJR1300. Both are big bikes, but their emphasis is more sport oriented. From what I've been told, neither the ST nor the FJR feel that large when out on the road though.

As for the adventure tour bikes, I don't think you could go wrong with either of the VStroms... If you think you're going to do a significant amount of off pavement riding, I'd recommend the WeeStrom (650).

It sounds like you're leaning more to the "adventure tour" bikes than the "sport tour" bikes. I really don't have much (any) experience with either, but if i were in the sport tour market, I think I'd have to look at the Honda ST1300 and the Yamaha FJR1300. Both are big bikes, but their emphasis is more sport oriented. From what I've been told, neither the ST nor the FJR feel that large when out on the road though.

As for the adventure tour bikes, I don't think you could go wrong with either of the VStroms... If you think you're going to do a significant amount of off pavement riding, I'd recommend the WeeStrom (650).

Yeah, the V-Stroms are more touring than sport I guess, which probably does make them a different category. There are so many types of bikes these days it's hard to keep them straight.

What actually got me started down the path of replacing the Buell (besides carpal tunnel syndrome, having sore arms & back) is I really had alot of fun riding a friend of mine's supermoto. I sat very upright/relaxed on it and could have ridden it all day probably without wearing out my clutch hand. It was way underpowered but a ton of fun... Ideally though I'd want something with a bit more power and a little larger with a windshield and such. The supermoto gets blown all over on the highway so I think it was just too light. That's how I got to looking at V-Stroms.

The ST1300s are ~650lbs, but I'm sure I'd just have to try one out to see if it's too big. I don't think I'd have a problem handling a bike that size and I have also read they don't feel as heavy as you'd think, but I'm trying to keep the weight similar or less than the Buell (~400). The 1300 sure has enough power though. I'll keep an eye out for one if I go shopping.

I love my 95 vfr 750. fairly cheap for the amount you get, very comfortable, and still is not slow, mine does 165. I love the power band of the v4, and it still has a direct gear transmission, unlike the newer 800s. You would need to add any storage yourself though, I just have a tank bag.