2012 Corvette ZR1 shaves six seconds off its 'Ring time

3.1cutlass

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/09/2012-corvette-zr1-shaves-six-seconds-off-its-ring-time/

Chevrolet has a few upgrades in store for the mighty 2012 Corvette ZR1. One of which is a set of optional Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Zero Pressure Tires. Coupled with the the Performance Traction Management (PTM) system, the 2012 ZR1 is going to be one fast grippy guppy.

Chevrolet wanted to find out how the new car handles one of the worlds most exciting roads, so a trip to Germany and a ticket to the Nürburgring were in order. In 2008, a Corvette ZR1 ran around the infamous track in 7:26.4. The 2012 car blew that time away with a 7:19.63 blast around the 'Ring – that's a six-second improvement, for those who don't feel like doing the math. Want to ride shotgun on the 12.9-mile journey? Put on your helmet, click past the jump and check out the clip.

Was this 100% off-the-showroom-floor stock?

Too often these times are set on different tires or with different components that aren't available from the dealership.

Agreed.

I also heard that one reason for these times not meaning much is there isn't a designated start/stop location for when companies do the lap, or so I read.

Wonder about driver upgrade as well (for the ZR1).

I have 100% confidence that every manufacturer does something that someone else will think is "cheating". Take all manufacturer supplied test results with a grain of salt, but also realize it's hard to find a 100% impartial judge or the same driver for every car.

For now, let's just agree that it's a damn fast car!

I have 100% confidence that every manufacturer does something that someone else will think is "cheating". Take all manufacturer supplied test results with a grain of salt, but also realize it's hard to find a 100% impartial judge or the same driver for every car.

For now, let's just agree that it's a damn fast car!

100% agreed. It wouldn't matter how many rules they added to try to standardize the times, each one would be ripped apart trying to justify their brand actually being faster.

Just throwing some info out that I had come across about ring times.

Was this 100% off-the-showroom-floor stock?

The narration states the car is 100% stock outside some minor safety gear that actually add lbs to the runs.

Wonder about driver upgrade as well (for the ZR1).

Same engineer that's been doing the tests for the Vettes for quite a while. They reference him during the video. He's got plenty of experience and knows the Vette extremely well of course, but there wasn't a ringer brought in for this run.

The narration states the car is 100% stock outside some minor safety gear that actually add lbs to the runs.

Same engineer that's been doing the tests for the Vettes for quite a while. They reference him during the video. He's got plenty of experience and knows the Vette extremely well of course, but there wasn't a ringer brought in for this run.

Yeah, I heard that in the video after I posted.

IIRC, he also spoke a good bit about new tire development for the car. That was a huge part of the time reduction.