Hows the Caliber SRT-4?

TN94Z28

All im sayin is a STOCK NSRT4 is factory rated 215hp, a stock CSRT4 is factory rated at 285hp. thats all im sayin. Im not sayin my stage one mini van is faster then pauls stage wtf? neon.

are you really comparing hp #s to how much faster is one then the other? really?

you are a retard.... :gtfo:

an my car doesnt have a stage kit ...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All im sayin is a STOCK NSRT4 is factory under-rated 215hp-230hp (depending on year), a stock CSRT4 is factory rated at 285hp. thats all im sayin. Im not sayin my stage one mini van is faster then pauls stage wtf? neon.

Fixed.

You did say "Wierd cause stock for stock the caliber is faster than a neon"

We're saying that while you can believe what you read in magazines, it's well known that the SRT4 Neons were well under rated in terms of power and at 2,9xx lbs they are way more nimble and will smoke an SRT Caliber. Even MT tested it in at a 1320' time of 13.89. I've yet to see anyone test a caliber in that low or even reference it as an enjoyable ride. Pauls will put bus lengths on you. Buses. In fact most around will as like Mustangs there aren't many SRT Neons around in stock form.

ok so 215-230 underated hp, if they underated the neon im sure they underated the hp on the cali. 29xx lbs of the neon vs 32xxlbs of the cali if every 100lbs is equivalent to 10hp then the difference is only 300lbs=30 hp there is a difference of 55 hp from even the later nsrt's. 6spd of the cali vs 5 speed of the neon. I have played with a few neons while it was close everytime I was still in front. Im not trying to get into a who's car is faster cause I could honestly care less.

ok so 215-230 underated hp, if they underated the neon im sure they underated the hp on the cali. 29xx lbs of the neon vs 32xxlbs of the cali if every 100lbs is equivalent to 10hp then the difference is only 300lbs=30 hp there is a difference of 55 hp from even the later nsrt's. 6spd of the cali vs 5 speed of the neon. I have played with a few neons while it was close everytime I was still in front. Im not trying to get into a who's car is faster cause I could honestly care less.

Your car sucks, just say it. :lolguy:

:)

The original prototypes had LSD's, but torque steered horrendously. After spending a day at the track and becoming acquainted with the car, it was time to make the 1.5 hour drive back to the office. After taking off from a traffic light with no one around me I decided to punch it in 2nd or 3rd gear. I held on to the wheel tight because I fully expect the torque steer. The car changed lanes twice. Ultimately they made the decision to nix the LSD for this reason.

That's silly. lol I thought the drivetrain was the same from the SRT4 to the Caliber and whereas I know the SRT had torque steer, they did still offer them with an LSD at a later point. Id assume the half shafts, etc would be the same. Why would they decide to do that on the Caliber? Was it really that much worse?

The original prototypes had LSD's, but torque steered horrendously. After spending a day at the track and becoming acquainted with the car, it was time to make the 1.5 hour drive back to the office. After taking off from a traffic light with no one around me I decided to punch it in 2nd or 3rd gear. I held on to the wheel tight because I fully expect the torque steer. The car changed lanes twice. Ultimately they made the decision to nix the LSD for this reason.

I don't have any problems with the MS3 and it's LSD. She'll pull but not nearly to the point I would comment on it as some of the magazine reviews do, but then then again, Mazda did a good job by reigning in the boost to help compensate. As the poster said, he struggles with traction, likely more so than I do.

I dont understand why they had so many problems with LSD either, there are two options available now and have been for some time for after market LSD for the CSRT, Phantom grip makes a centrifugal version, and another company makes a true mechanical LSD. From what I understand is it wasnt so much of a dangerous torque steer problem, but more of a "we cant make it work with our crappy stabillity program. Because even with the phantom grip LSD in my car I have to disable the traction control/stability control with a scan gauge.

That's silly. lol I thought the drivetrain was the same from the SRT4 to the Caliber and whereas I know the SRT had torque steer, they did still offer them with an LSD at a later point. Id assume the half shafts, etc would be the same. Why would they decide to do that on the Caliber? Was it really that much worse?

The Caliber SRT4 has a 2.4L world engine. (Blocks shared with Hyundai and Mitsu) I would really like to see someone take a CSRT4 engine and put it in the Genesis coupe. (Or at least use the cranks and build a stroker.)

From what I understand is it wasnt so much of a dangerous torque steer problem, but more of a "we cant make it work with our crappy stabillity program. Because even with the phantom grip LSD in my car I have to disable the traction control/stability control with a scan gauge

It had nothing to do with the traction/stability control. Traction/stability control only controls excessive wheel slip, it doesn't exacerbate torque steer on high mu surfaces. Now, without the LSD the car was given a function in the traction control that uses the brakes to transfer torque (BLD - brake limited differential). If you install an LSD in your car, you may want to turn this off, if the LSD allows enough slip across the axle that would put you across the BLD thresholds. Otherwise, if the wheels spin up together, you will never get into BLD so it's no worry. I could tell you a lot about how the stability control is tuned, considering I did most of it (my co-worker did the traction control).

The Caliber SRT4 has a 2.4L world engine. (Blocks shared with Hyundai and Mitsu) I would really like to see someone take a CSRT4 engine and put it in the Genesis coupe. (Or at least use the cranks and build a stroker.)

This would be something to see

It had nothing to do with the traction/stability control. Traction/stability control only controls excessive wheel slip, it doesn't exacerbate torque steer on high mu surfaces. Now, without the LSD the car was given a function in the traction control that uses the brakes to transfer torque (BLD - brake limited differential). If you install an LSD in your car, you may want to turn this off, if the LSD allows enough slip across the axle that would put you across the BLD thresholds. Otherwise, if the wheels spin up together, you will never get into BLD so it's no worry. I could tell you a lot about how the stability control is tuned, considering I did most of it (my co-worker did the traction control).

All I know is I wish they would have made the 08's like the 09's where you can turn off stability control completely with the stock switch, in the 08's you can only turn off the traction control with the button, but the stability control is still on. So in order to disable the stability control and traction control you have to either own a scan guage with the option to disable or pull the fuse, both of wich also disable the abs wich is stupid. it would be nice to turn off the crap you dont want and leave abs with comes in handy.

All I know is I wish they would have made the 08's like the 09's where you can turn off stability control completely with the stock switch, in the 08's you can only turn off the traction control with the button, but the stability control is still on. So in order to disable the stability control and traction control you have to either own a scan guage with the option to disable or pull the fuse, both of wich also disable the abs wich is stupid. it would be nice to turn off the crap you dont want and leave abs with comes in handy.

There were some reasons for this, but obviously SRT always wants to give the "full off" option. The Jeep never got full off.

Do you find the ESC intrusive? Do you get into ESC often when you're driving? Why do you need to turn it off?

Do you find the ESC intrusive? Do you get into ESC often when you're driving? Why do you need to turn it off?

Good question. On my MS3 I can turn everything off if I choose, but if I'm feeling extra rowdy while driving in town, I'll just turn of TC so that she will rip through the first three gears. Sure, there's wheel spin, but if it's on a hard shift to 2nd or 3rd results in a slight bog. Not sure I can say I've ever has Stability Control come on during normal or even spirited driving on dry pavement but I wouldn't want to turn it off.

There were some reasons for this, but obviously SRT always wants to give the "full off" option. The Jeep never got full off.

Ehh I guess not during normal driving, but when auto xing I would rather have a "un-nanny'd" car. Not that I do much of that either. The traction control part of it is really anoying, the stability part is only slightly anoying when you dont want it there. I understand it serves a purpose and must come on the car, but I rather a car doesnt kick you in the dick when you get outa line.

Ehh I guess not during normal driving, but when auto xing I would rather have a "un-nanny'd" car. Not that I do much of that either. The traction control part of it is really anoying, the stability part is only slightly anoying when you dont want it there. I understand it serves a purpose and must come on the car, but I rather a car doesnt kick you in the dick when you get outa line.

Understood and I can agree on shutting it off for autocross. The thing with autocross is it tends to have very fast, jerky, impulsive motions, which could cause some unwanted ESC activations in a car like yours.

Anyone that says they need to turn ESC off on public roads is a person I don't want to be around, which is why I asked. So, Tim, I agree with you. I never want to, or have the person next to me want to turn it off on a public road. Also, IIRC on the MS3 I drove, "full off" on the MS3 isn't quite full off. I thought it still had the anti-rollover protection still active, even though normal ESC is off. But you wouldn't get into that unless you do some very aggressive steering maneuvers.

Think i'm going to go with a WRX/STI I have looked at MS3's but yeah on the inside they are nice but to me on the outside its just a Mazda 3 hatch, I also am probably just gonna go for a 2004, 2005 STI or WRX, I am not a huge fan of the bugeyed and I really like the sedan look plus the AWD can be good and im sure i'll never regret getting it. Thanks for all of your help.