LSAT

Guest Hal

Has anyone on here taken the LSAT? I'm trying to decide if I want to apply for law school or not and I'm looking for some personal opinions on the test itself. If you've taken it, please share anything you can to help push me one direction or the other. Did you do the prep? If so, did it help? Do you feel there was something you should have studied harder? Any info would be awesome.

lawyers= gay.

well the whole judicial system. lawyer do make bank though because of all the gay laws so i guess laws= gay not lawyers

and i know that you are going to come up with im an abomination of life and what not for thinking the lsat is gay but any honest person would not want to become a lawyer so whatevs

Edited by nurkvinny

I'm not really looking for opinions on attorneys. Just having a J.D. does not make you an attorney and I'm not sure I would even want to take the bar and practice.

and i know that you are going to come up with im an abomination of life and what not for thinking the lsat is gay but any honest person would not want to become a lawyer so whatevs

You are assuming a whole lot. I don't think you know much about lawyers. Please stop posting in this thread, I'm looking for real advice not conjecture.

Before leaving the thread, think about this; what would you do in a world without those immoral lawyers?

well i think alot more criminals would not get off scott free because of antecedent doctrine

hal? you there?

i know somewhat about the profession of law.but being biassed(haveing good morals)i know that i could never be a lawyer.

Edited by nurkvinny

Has anyone on here taken the LSAT? I'm trying to decide if I want to apply for law school or not and I'm looking for some personal opinions on the test itself. If you've taken it, please share anything you can to help push me one direction or the other. Did you do the prep? If so, did it help? Do you feel there was something you should have studied harder? Any info would be awesome.

Definitely worth the money to take prep courses and go through study guides. It's been 15 years but my wife said it wasn't as difficult as she thought. She did already have a dual degree and is a brainiac but busting chops, if she can do it, so can you.

I will share my opinion and tell you what I told my wife. That is, DO IT. You've blown a few hundred bucks on a lot worse. A J.D. will get you a lot of places and open a ton more doors than most degrees. You already know that but FWIW, I vote take the challenge.

any honest person would not want to become a lawyer so whatevs

You sir are living under a rock.

i know somewhat about the profession of law.but being biassed(haveing good morals)i know that i could never be a lawyer.

Rinse/repeat my previous post to you.

well i think alot more criminals would not get off scott free because of antecedent doctrine

Not sure of this doctrine you talk of, but I would like to hear a couple examples open for discussion whereby you feel the Antecedent Rule has not been overcome in open court by the opposing side with their arguments using other indicators of meaning. Hint, hint, there's a poor attorney in that court room in the cases I'm asking you to share.

Edit request by Vince: (Move to Kitchen and Discuss)

Edited by TTQ B4U

I took the LSAT this past Spring. Take as many practice tests as you can under as close to real environment you can. A lot of it is getting your pacing down. You can have a watch during the test, but only analouge. I purchased two of the books that have 10 previous LSATs. I realistically only studied for about two weeks and scored around a 160-162 on the practice tests and then scored a 162 on the actual LSAT.

The logic section tends to be only part where the time restraint really affected my performance and where I could have benefited from some extra prep.

Some law schools don't even take the written portion into consideration and several people in the room during that portion just drew sketches or looked at the ceiling.

lawyers= gay.

well the whole judicial system. lawyer do make bank though because of all the gay laws so i guess laws= gay not lawyers

Hoping a 5 year old accidentally commandeered this poor guy's PC and wrote that.

:no:

Hal, do it. Lord knows you love arguing.

:)

Definitely worth the money to take prep courses and go through study guides. It's been 15 years but my wife said it wasn't as difficult as she thought. She did already have a dual degree and is a brainiac but busting chops, if she can do it, so can you.

I will share my opinion and tell you what I told my wife. That is, DO IT. You've blown a few hundred bucks on a lot worse. A J.D. will get you a lot of places and open a ton more doors than most degrees. You already know that but FWIW, I vote take the challenge.

That second paragraph is really my driving force. Not only does it give the option of being an attorney, but there are so many other careers that could open up for me.

I took the LSAT this past Spring. Take as many practice tests as you can under as close to real environment you can. A lot of it is getting your pacing down. You can have a watch during the test, but only analouge. I purchased two of the books that have 10 previous LSATs. I realistically only studied for about two weeks and scored around a 160-162 on the practice tests and then scored a 162 on the actual LSAT.

The logic section tends to be only part where the time restraint really affected my performance and where I could have benefited from some extra prep.

Some law schools don't even take the written portion into consideration and several people in the room during that portion just drew sketches or looked at the ceiling.

What did you think was the worst part of the logic section? I looked over a practice test and they just seemed like pain in the ass questions.

Hal, do it. Lord knows you love arguing.

:)

:megusta:

I didnt read most of the other replies but here's my input. Most law schools will take two things into account, your GPA of your undergrad and your LSAT scores. Some schools will favor one over the other (place more importance on LSAT rather your GPA or vice versa) but most will look at both.

Dont take this test lightly if your going to do it. Im pretty sure you can take it more than once but it would probably look better if you got a great grade the first time around. Whats your undergrad major? it doesnt matter totally but keep you GPA up and dont screw around if your serious about this.

The way it was explained to me, the hardest schools to get into are the ones that can practically garantee you a great job right out of college (Yale, Harvard, etc...) then you have your second tier schools, OSU Law, Duke, Univ. of Texas etc... Great schools but more competition for jobs afterwards. Then you have smaller schools, that are good for your run of the mill attorney's that want to open up a small shop and do things like writing of will's, personal injury law, divorce etc... You can definitly still make a good living if you graduate law school from Cleveland State (which one of my professors did) and like Tim said. Even if you dont end up working in law it still can open more doors latter down the road.

There are plenty of good, decent people in the law profession doing good work. Being a DA might not be the most glamorous job in the world and you might not make the most money but at least it will be a very satisfying job. Now if you want to be a federal DA, ive heard they make very good money and go after some real bad guys.

One thing to remember, people graduating law school right now arent finding any jobs. Now this could be different in 5 years but you have to know the industry your getting into before you graduate.

What did you think was the worst part of the logic section? I looked over a practice test and they just seemed like pain in the ass questions.

Being able to complete them in time.

If I remember correctly there was usually five different scenarios. Three of the five I was always able to finish fairly on pace. The fourth took more time and the last took way too much time. Of course they weren't in order of difficulty so the problem was determining which of the two difficult ones I could correctly answer in the time allowed and leaving the remaining time to make my best educated guess on the last.

There were about 25 other people in the same room with me. There were two or three people always frantically trying to finish each section. I noticed for the logic section almost everyone was filling in the last few bubbles just to have a chance when time was called.

The classes might go into better startegies of organizing the logic questions. Considering the limited time and the limited space (no scrap paper is allowed) organizing your thoughts is key.

One small thing that bugged me was not being able to use mechanical pencils. I always use mechanical pencils and did so on the practice tests as well. I don't believe it affected my performance in any way, but I did find it annoying.

Also I invested in a watch with a rotating bezel so it was easier to keep track of how much time was left.

I took it in 2008.. I decided not to take a prep course since I was still working full-time while studying and it would have been difficult to fit one into my schedule. Assuming time/money is not an issue, I would definitely recommend a prep course. Also, the test is mostly about time management and quick decision making, so reading study guides to come up with strategies to quickly eliminate wrong answers will be highly beneficial.

The section which I had the most trouble with was reading comprehension, mostly because I tended to take more time reading the passages than I should have. Be sure to pick up 8 or so of the previous exams from amazon.com and run through them timed so you get a feel for the pace you need to maintain. Schools rarely (if ever) look at the essay, so do not focus much time on that.