Where to go within driving distance...

smokin5s

Where did you guys end up going?

Nowhere yet. We decided to save a little bit and do something more substantial toward the end of summer.

We have done Indy, Chicago, Cleveland, and a lot of random weekend drives. Every place has its own entertainment and you can probably find something to do. If you want to extend the drive a little bit you can get to the coast in a few different areas.

Bay City was nice and is just a little further away than that if you want to get to the Coast.

I'll second Indy for a fun weekend. St. Louis was also pretty cool.

We just went to Niagara. Did the tourist shit for 2 days, then went to Niagara on the Lake for 2 days. Rented a tandem bike and went to 10 wineries, that was a blast! You can even go spend some time in Toronto if you want some of the big city feel on that trip. We probably would have done that if we had a few more days.

Bay City Michigan was fun, but that was probably mostly because we accidentally went there on the county fair weekend and they had a cheap car race going on. You could take your own beer into the fair!

We are mulling around what to do for a long weekend at the end of July and may do the Michigan winery thing. Something over on Lake Michigan would be nice.

The Smokies is in that driving range. You can go drive Cherohala Skyway and Tail of the Dragon, do some hiking.

Chicago is always an option.

There were some good replies in this thread. It depends on what you want to do.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92442

Hal, if you are still considering Charleston let me know and I can forward you the info of where we stayed. A couple's house that had a mother in law suite in the back. They are coffee roasters for their day jobs (own their own business) and left us a pound of coffee to use (in a nicer coffee maker than I'd ever buy) and a bottle of wine. It was a block or so walk walk from one of the main restaurant/bar districts and 4 or 5 blocks to the market area for something like $150/night. They only crux is they usually did a 3 night minimum but they weren't booked the 2 days we wanted and let us do 2 nights. That's where we will stay again if we ever go again, which I'm sure we will someday. :fuckyeah:

I have been Toronto and it was a fantastic time. It had a great feel to it, and that was even in the dead of winter. Plus you could stop at the falls for a while on the way up.

My vote is for Toronto. All the charm of NYC with none of the trash, and its pretty much exactly 8 hours drive from Columbus.

I drove up there in November to go to the Hockey Hall of Fame. It's a really neat place and there are a lot of attractions around that area. It was about a 9-10 hour drive.

Pickwick lake in Tennessee is awesome the lake is partly in Tennessee and Mississippi, I just got back a couple hours ago! It's 51 miles from grove city its a great time I highly recommend it!

Really 51 miles to Tennessee? I hope that is a typo. I would like more info about this though!

we ended up reserving a room in Traverse City Michigan.

1) Take the time to go to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park

2) Drive up "the finger" from Traverse City - two or three great wineries featuring cherry wines - also a neat lighthouse up there as well.

Just my $ .02