Retired helmets- how to dispose of?

mrs.cos

So I missed them?

So on second thought the fd might be able to use them. We practice removing them on motorcycle crrash vics. With out jacking up their broken neck any more than it is.

Best suggestion. This could save a life someday.

My gosh you guys, seriously? What is wrong with asking if there is some way to recycle a helmet so it can be put to good use rather than just throwing it away? I fail to see how this is a useless thread, I have a old helmet lying around hence why I looked in this thread to read some practical suggestions, not people's useless opinions on the content of this topic.

If someone wants mine for air brush practice it is available for pick-up at anytime. Just send me a PM.

just out of curiosity, since i have no clue...how does a helmet "go bad"? ive head of bulletproof vests because the kevlar can break down, but how would a solid helmet do so?

The inside of it breaks down I replace my helmets when I crash and or drop them.

Just sell them... I would bet that 50% of helmets on the road are not at whatever standards your's are now considered obsolete with. There are always new standards coming out. Doesn't make your helmet any less effective than the standards it was originally built with. I highly doubt it is not DOT legal. If a half helmet can be DOT, I am pretty sure just about any fullface would suffice. But, in the end it is your call. I liked the donating to a fire department idea.

If they look anything like a stig helmet I would drive to wherever you are and pick it up for halloween this year. DIBS! Even if they don't I'd like it for halloween.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/75/The_Stig_British_International_Motor_Show_.jpg