What are people's thoughts on buying a car with a salvage/rebuilt title?

Rustlestiltskin

I've been looking at cars lately since I miss having a fun one and a few of them have salvage titles but look amazing. What are people's thoughts on purchasing a salvaged titled car? Do you completely stray away from them? Would you pick one up if it was nice? For example. this one car I'm looking at is salvaged bc the lady who owned it before had someone wreck into her causing a fender,hood, bumper, headlight to be replaced. Car looks perfect now but its a salvage title.

any thoughts would be helpful because I'm seriously debating on getting a salvage car since the one I looked at is the exact car I want and the car is perfect.

thanks,

Paul

I bought a car with a rebuilt title once, it was a giant POS.

Come to think of it, that may have more to do with the fact that it was a Dodge Neon...

:lolguy:

i would buy one if i knew exactly what happened to it and was prepared to have to fix stuff, but it's definitely based on the price...

i almost bought a flooded protege5, but the dude wouldn't drop the price down...he wanted the same price that a non-salvaged car would get...yeah right, ass!

:lolguy:

i would buy one if i knew exactly what happened to it and was prepared to have to fix stuff, but it's definitely based on the price...

i almost bought a flooded protege5, but the dude wouldn't drop the price down...he wanted the same price that a non-salvaged car would get...yeah right, ass!

The car I'm looking at was already fixed by a dealership. It's up to snuff from the looks of it an what I'm told

Resale may be a little difficult. If the car is straight, meaning body lines look good, paint matches etc. I would not hesitate if the price was right. Depending on how hard it was hit (if it was an accident) I would want to see an alignment sheet.

Hurts resale value quite a bit. I've always heard some insurance companies won't carry you but I didn't have a problem when I fixed an explorer I totaled and had inspected for a rebuilt title. Not sure how much they go over since they don't allow you to watch. think they just check for stolen shit and make sure it's secure.

I don't think I would go out and buy one with a rebuilt title unless it's a beater and under $1,000

salvage cars are great for cheapness because their resale is low..Be careful and inspect it closely (at a shop or yourself)....it could have been salvaged for some stupid reason that still makes it a good candidate for whatever your needs be.

for instance, if I wanted to buy a track car, I'd have no prob buying a salvage because it will be cheap and depending on the car, the salvage reason could be easy to work with

every salvage title is differant.

I had and 89 mustang lx 5.0. The hood flew open at 65mph and cracked the cowl (plastic leuvers by the wipers) busted out the sun roof, destroyed the hood and dented the roof between the windshield and sunroof. Insurance totaled it out. I bought the car back for $50 and did the repairs myself. This was a legit car with a salvage title to buy for somebody! Sunroof mighted have leaked years down the road, i don't know. It still drove fine and everything worked.