HVAC savvy people, have a question.

TurboGoKart

I had a guy that Sam recommended come over and troubleshoot my a/c sytem because it stopped blowing cold. Basically, the compressor is bad and it won't hold a charge. So I need a new one.

I just had my A coil replaced last year when I had the furnace replaced lol. If I have to get a new compressor, I'd really rather not replace a year old A coil. My question is, if you have an A coil that's rated for R-22, will it work on a 410a compressor? Or does the coil have to match the compressor in terms of refrigerant? The sticker on the bad condenser is R-22. I'm asking because I found a really good deal on a 2.5ton R-22 compressor and wanted to make sure I can use it, and don't need to upgrade to a 410a unit.

Also, what's the downside to using a 2.5ton if you only need a 2ton compressor? My house is 1800-1900sq. ft., so I'd really need a 2.5ton anyways, I would assume.

Edited by TurboGoKart

Got the answers. Can't mix/match the A coil and compressor. Either all R-22 or 410a.

If you use a compressor too big for the house, it will get down to the t-stat temp setting too quickly, and not dehumidify the air. Wet air leads to mold etc.

Just to clarify, and yes I am an HVAC Tech.....What exactly did this guy tell you was wrong? If the compressor is bad, is it bad because of an additional leak or if he saying the physical compressor is leaking.

Also, You can use an A coil that has an R22 Base to it in a 410 System if the TXV is added or changed AND the coil is large enough for the capacity of the 410. Now, I agree its better to swap it all out and have a nicely matched system as they will be designed to work better together. And yes what you describe about colling air and not pulling humidity is true, a well Matched system to a house will cycle on warm days and may run nearly nonstop if we get to 90+ degress and this is normal and desirable.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask and Ill help you however I can.

Yeah I knew about the TXV, but figured I wouldn't even go into it lol. Basically what happened is the compressor burned out? It had a leak in the unit somewhere, and fried the electrical stuff. Does that sound right? He tried to charge it, but it wasn't holding a charge, and that's when he found the other stuff out.

Do you sell units too? Mine is a 3 ton R-22.

I dont sell anything....I dont even do residential except for family and friends....I am a Commercial guy, I can get units but so likely can your buddy. How big is your home for that 3T? Im guessing in the neighborhood of 1800SqFt.+