Any tips on installing decals

Nitrousbird

I ordered new decals for my Malibu, as the previous owner removed all the factory ones.

They are vinyl, premasked decals. The bigger one is 6.5" x 36" that is similar to the factory Malibu decal but should be a bit more modern looking. They arrive in the next day or two, and I want to make sure I am installing them RIGHT as I've never done it before. I am installing one on each side of the boat, and a small one for each side of the trailer.

Mark off where each starts with a corner that you know is level and straight before you apply the decal. Do this to either side so that they are aligned with each other. Take your time so it doesn't look like shit.

For the bigger one, have someone help you. Use water and a little soap in a spray bottle to wet the surface AS WELL AS YOUR HANDS before applying. Line it up, and apply the vinyl. Then take a rubber squeegee that is also wet and remove the liquid behind it. I like to use a heat gun afterwards to cure it faster.

I never have applied actual vinyl, but literally hundreds of invisible shields. The application is the same.

Spray bottle of lightly soapy water and a credit card if you don't have a fancy little decal putter oner dealio.

Basically clean the area really well, dry it, spray the soapy water mix on it, lay decal where you want it, work the bubbles out, let dry and bingo.

I assume you can install them wet? I've had luck with using quick detailer spray... Just give the surface and the decal a good soaking spray and apply... float it around to the right spot and squeegee out the excess... park it all in the sun and let it dry. if there are any bubbles they should evaporate away. probably the most important thing is to apply them to a cool clean surface.... do it in the morning if your garage (or favorite shady spot) gets hot during the day.

edit: wow 2 posts beat me lol