Netflix... again?

verse

I got the same email... it's not about the fact that it's 16 a month now... it's about the fact that they just doubled my netflix payment... that is BS.... f'em, I'm canceling, redbox is better anyways.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, they rotate content. Can't just continuously expand or Netflix would explode.

When I run out of room I buy a bigger hard drive

Besides, they also no longer have the movie Kids available on DVD. Wtf. I'm sure that's not the only one that they no longer mail out

I have received no e-mails from Netflix about this, and just logged into my Netflix account and see nothing on this as well.

I have the streaming + 3-discs at a time + Blu-ray package. I pay $25.61 after tax a month...I am not willing to pay any more. I'll drop the streaming before I pay a penny more, but since I am in one of their most expensive packages, perhaps I'm not impacted by this.

Dvds are like condoms, only sailors and queers use them.

But then you have Blu-ray. And don't say just download it - these uploaders on Torrent and Newsgroup sites do not understand the concept of quality uploads. Pretty much everything is overcompressed using some pretty shitty compression methods, so it looks like hell.

Dear Anthony,

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month

Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

I have received no e-mails from Netflix about this, and just logged into my Netflix account and see nothing on this as well.

Blockbuster gone means little to no competition. No surprise really. Red box is an option but not true competition. We use it but the choices are limited and I have to pick it up and return it.

I got the same letter but will only do one DVD at a time. Streaming is good for kids stuff. Selection there still sucks for better movies though.

Dear Anthony,

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month

Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

Dear Anthony,

If you read all of my post, you would see I'm not on the cheap plan, and speculated that it may not impact me because of this.

But then you have Blu-ray. And don't say just download it - these uploaders on Torrent and Newsgroup sites do not understand the concept of quality uploads. Pretty much everything is overcompressed using some pretty shitty compression methods, so it looks like hell.

I can live with a slight decrease in quality through free downloads vs paying to rent blu-rays.

Dear Joe,

Quit being a dick and realize I was only posting the email I'd received to prove they are changing some plans. My "cheap" plan works enough for me as I receive my hardcopy movies via other resources.

You being a pompous asshole is all speculation, of course.

Dear Anthony,

If you read all of my post, you would see I'm not on the cheap plan, and speculated that it may not impact me because of this.

This was probably part of their business plan from the get go.

1. Run out the competition - BLOCKBUSTER

2. Be the leader in the market where everyone uses us.

3. Raise prices = PROFIT

I don't use them but everyone here at work that uses them is throwing a fit and cancelling.

Dear People of Earth,

We have to raise our prices because google and others are getting in on this gig. We also payed next to nothing to stream shit, and now the studio's want their cut.

Thanks,

Netflix

There was an article on MSNBC about how their costs for the rights would go from 180million to like 2 billion on the next contract they sign. Add in Amazon and google trying to get in on this and guess what? YOU PAY MOAR! Simple econ kids...

I don't use them but everyone here at work that uses them is throwing a fit and cancelling.

Really? Quit and go where? Downloads pretty much all suck in terms of quality of picture and sound. I'm with Joe on BluRay quality. I don't have all this money wrapped up in home theater set ups to cheap out on IQ. I mean for $.50 per day there isn't much else in life more convenient to have both unlimited streaming and door to door delivery.

If it's a point they are all try to make the irony is they are still driving cars vs riding bicycles. Tip them all off that the oil companies are fucking them harder than NetFlix ever could.

Dear Joe,

Quit being a dick and realize I was only posting the email I'd received to prove they are changing some plans. My "cheap" plan works enough for me as I receive my hardcopy movies via other resources.

You being a pompous asshole is all speculation, of course.

Yes, because I said "I don't believe any of you since I haven't got an e-mail."

FYI, I just got the e-mail, so they must have sent it out to the $9.99 folks first. Looks like I will be dropping the streaming and saving $4/month.

I can live with a slight decrease in quality through free downloads vs paying to rent blu-rays.

LOL, slight. You loose the HD audio 99.9% of the time. And the picture is more than a slight difference, unless it is a larger file - and even then, their crappy compression still won't look as good as something I'd compress at the same file size.

I have the $9.99 plan which is unlimited streaming and 1 DVD at a time, so for the same plan its gonna be $15.98 so you know what I'm doing?.......nothing! who cares its still cheaper than a cable bill with movie channels. I was paying $16.00 for HBO, $13.00 for Starz and $16.00 for Showtime plus my standard HD cable with On Demand, my cable bill was over $180 a month, I canceled all my movie channels and signed up for Netflix its WAY cheaper vs. the movie channels through a cable provider, I'll swing the $15

It still costs more to buy one new movie on DVD than it would to go with the double plan at the new price. Netflix is a want not a need, you can complain all you want but I am betting the majority of people who can afford Netflix currently can still afford it at the new price.

Honestly it's unreal how many people are acting like Netflix has gone and raped their first born or something.

LOL, slight. You loose the HD audio 99.9% of the time. And the picture is more than a slight difference, unless it is a larger file - and even then, their crappy compression still won't look as good as something I'd compress at the same file size.

You bitch about blu-ray downloads having terrible quality but I bet you still rub one off to shitty ass redtube every night.

I don't know about everyone else, but it's pretty annoying that Netflix has raised their prices twice this year. I'm almost paying double what I was a year ago. It was a pretty good deal at that point, but it seems like it isn't worth it to me any longer.

Anyone else considering cancelling?

i am going to cancel the "one-at-a-time" option... isnce the price is almost doubling.

I'm not sure on what to do. They still don't have nearly the selection of streaming content that they keep claiming they would, which means that a lot of the things I want to see are only available on DVD. I could get them thru Redbox, but that defeats the purpose of having the damn Netflix subscription.

I'm not sure on what to do. They still don't have nearly the selection of streaming content that they keep claiming they would, which means that a lot of the things I want to see are only available on DVD. I could get them thru Redbox, but that defeats the purpose of having the damn Netflix subscription.

this, Im going to cancel my service once the price increases. in September. Im betting alot of people cancel their service as well.