Springfield XDm .40S&W

FourString

So I bought this a few weeks ago to finally get into competition shooting. The best selling point for me was the 16+1 capacity. I almost bought the 9mm version to get the 19+1 capacity, but after a little more consideration I decided that I wanted the extra knock-down of the .40S&W. So, I made the compromise and I'm glad I did. When I first pulled it out of the case I noticed immediately how comfortable it was in my hand. The gun comes with three different back straps (S,M,L). While this seems a bit overkill at first, it is actually quite nice. I opted for the medium.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e120/Sugarfuzz/IMAG0837.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e120/Sugarfuzz/IMAG0838.jpg

The gun shoots very well. I have put about 50 rounds through it so far. I have not had the chance to comp shoot with it yet, but I have a feeling that it will be great for it. For eight years or so, my home defense gun has been my Mossberg 12gauge--but not anymore. The XDm now takes care of that for me as well. I made the decision a few days ago to buy a Vector Optics tactical flashlight/laser combo for it while it is being used for home defense. I quite like the flashlight (200 lumens), but the laser has a little to be desired. After a few rounds the laser goes out of alignment. I fully expected this, but I bought this unit primarily for the flashlight so it is not a huge concern for me.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e120/Sugarfuzz/IMAG0840.jpg

I will not be using this gun for concealed carry. It is a bit too big for me to make that commitment. As of now, my Bersa Thunder .380ACP still remains my CC gun of choice.

Does anyone else have any experience with the XD/XDm? This is my first Springfield, but certainly not my last.

Yeah the light combo is a bit too big. If I had to do it all over again I would have just went with the flashlight only. I spent the extra few bucks on the laser combo as more of an impulse buy. Oh well. I'll keep this one until the batteries die and then buy a smaller flashlight only setup.

whats the difference between the XD and XDm?

Match grade barrel, better ergonomics, interchangable backstraps, higher magazine capacity, anit-corrosive Melonite finish. Minimum resist trigger, with shorter followup pulls. And the magazine release is supposed to be better too. They also made the disassembly one step easier by taking the trigger pull out of the equation.

Yeah the light combo is a bit too big. If I had to do it all over again I would have just went with the flashlight only. I spent the extra few bucks on the laser combo as more of an impulse buy. Oh well. I'll keep this one until the batteries die and then buy a smaller flashlight only setup.

might want to consider veridian C5L light and laser

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-accessories/142332-viridian-c5l-xd-sub-compact-yay-11.html

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlG2W1oadKX9WRFAwN3WL_vM63GKfgoDeat8jPGqweUWKKRM_W&t=1

I picked up an XDM 9mm on here few months back, like it alot, my TRP Operator definatly has me spoiled though. I like the setup and ease of take down and is pretty comfy to hold and shoot and also the nice lockable case and all the extras you get with it as well. I used it for an IDPA shoot, shot ok but again my 1911 has spoiled me but all and all a very nice gun.

Nice pick up. When i made my purchase it came down between your very gun and the glock22 4th gen. Although i went with the glock, the feeling of that XDm in my hands is one of the most natural and comfortable handguns ive felt.

If i could have the trigger of the M&P(i love the way it wraps around my finger), the ergonomics of the XDm and the reliability of a glock, that would be my perfect 40cal.

Nice pick up. When i made my purchase it came down between your very gun and the glock22 4th gen. Although i went with the glock, the feeling of that XDm in my hands is one of the most natural and comfortable handguns ive felt.

If i could have the trigger of the M&P(i love the way it wraps around my finger), the ergonomics of the XDm and the reliability of a glock, that would be my perfect 40cal.

I'm not saying the glock has any reliability issues, but where are you seeing that the XD/M's have any either? I really doubt you will see much difference in terms of any reliability issues with glock, or XD/M pistols, heck even with the M&P line.

might want to consider veridian C5L light and laser

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-accessories/142332-viridian-c5l-xd-sub-compact-yay-11.html

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQlG2W1oadKX9WRFAwN3WL_vM63GKfgoDeat8jPGqweUWKKRM_W&t=1

WOW. I just researched that a bit and saw the $250 price tag. I think it is a bit steep, but it looks like a good unit and worth the money. I appreciate this link.

I picked up an XDM 9mm on here few months back, like it alot, my TRP Operator definatly has me spoiled though. I like the setup and ease of take down and is pretty comfy to hold and shoot and also the nice lockable case and all the extras you get with it as well. I used it for an IDPA shoot, shot ok but again my 1911 has spoiled me but all and all a very nice gun.

I almost bought the 9mm just for the 19+1 capacity. It honestly had me in a huge debate. I'm happy with my decision though.

I looked at the M&P before I saw the XDm. I was actually sold on it until a guy in a local gun shop said "hey, check out this Springfield" and that was all it took. The M&P is a great gun though. Like said below though, I have never once heard of a reliability issue with the XD/XDm.

Have had My XDm .40 for almost 2 years, love it. Now I have a ported xd9 sub compact in od green and a brand new XD .40. :) love me some Springfield.

Damn! I'm seriously considering the replacement of my Bersa (CC gun) in favor of the XD9sc. If you carry it, how do you like it?

I'm not saying the glock has any reliability issues, but where are you seeing that the XD/M's have any either? I really doubt you will see much difference in terms of any reliability issues with glock, or XD/M pistols, heck even with the M&P line.

IM not say XDm does, but its a staple for glock. I dont have enough range time with either gun to make a personal decision. Mine was based off of people who shoot more that i ever will

I love my XDm9. As you said, that 19+1 is amazing. I've put quite a few rounds down the barrel by now and I realize I was a fool for ever considering selling it for a 1911 (although I still do want a 1911R1 or SR1911). Like my uncle's passion for his old PPK, I think I'll love and keep this gun forever.

IM not say XDm does, but its a staple for glock. I dont have enough range time with either gun to make a personal decision. Mine was based off of people who shoot more that i ever will

Can't really disagree with that either well put. But for potential buyers of XD/M's your reliability is "likely" on par with any glock as well.

the XDM is more of a combat pistol than a competition pistol. did you upgrade to adjustable sights?

Not yet. I have not run into an issue with it being off yet. Have you?

I think I'll love and keep this gun forever.

I am starting to feel the same way about this .40S&W. Although, I am sure something better and more appealing will come along eventually.

I thought 4th gen glocks were having stovepipe issues?

• 2 weeks later...
I picked up a Tactical XD45 after shooting my dad's a few years back (this was before they released the XDM series). All around its a great gun. I wouldn't consider it for CC except in the winter under a coat. My wife is pretty freakin good with it too (dare I say better?) so in home defense situations I usually grab the Mossberg 500 and let her have the XD. I'm looking at picking up a 4" Springfield G.I. 1911 for CC but the magazine capacity of a XD40 is very tempting as well.