To dig or to roll???

phil

So I got into this topic with an old timer today and I can see his point that roll racing isn't as hard as dig racing. Now I do think it does take some skill to be a good roll racer though. My argument is how many people go 160 plus on the track?? Not a lot. Shit gets a lil crazy past 150mph, also take into case the road is no where near as smooth as the track and you have other obstacles in the wAy. It takes a certain type of person to do over 180 mph, and the ones that do 200mph. Well they are just nuts.

Now yes it is hard to drag race, getting the launch down, timing the tree, staying in the groove, hooking, ect, it's no walk in the park. But the avg track car is a 12 sec car. Which means your not doing much more than 115mph.

So does roll racing get a bad rap because everyone does it, or is the track overrated?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dig race = 60% skill 40% power, weight, and suspension

Roll race = 80% power 19% balls 1% skill

Ok so a dumbass with balls doing 180 gets himself killed. But let rob, or Jp, or sam do 160 on the shitty freeway and they are great drivers. So how can that be a true statement? Controlling a car at that speed is harder than launching a car to me. Now let's take out the argument of marks/ rays/ and matts car, because Most of this board has a car that can do 150 plus with enough space

Dig race = 60% skill 40% power, weight, and suspension

Roll race = 80% power 19% balls 1% skill

I disagree with this.

I do think that drag racing takes more skill, without a doubt, but I think the skill level is still high for roll racing. The driver mod is applicable to both, meaning the driver makes or breaks good races.

I see roll racing as 40% power, 20% balls/stupidity, 40% skill.

Ok so a dumbass with balls doing 180 gets himself killed. But let rob, or Jp, or sam do 160 on the shitty freeway and they are great drivers. So how can that be a true statement? Controlling a car at that speed is harder than launching a car to me. Now let's take out the argument of marks/ rays/ and matts car, because Most of this board has a car that can do 150 plus with enough space

No way.....

I know 100 people CRAZY enough to stay in the gas above 150. Fuck, a brick on the gas pedal would do the trick.

I know MAYBE a dozen people that can actually put a sub 10 second pass together.

How many cars have you seen run 12+ seconds at 120+ mph?? I have seen A LOT

How many roll races have you seen lost because people had to let out due to "lack of skill" driving at high speeds?? I have seen maybe one

Now I am not saying it doesn't take skill to keep a car under control at 160+... because is does.

The difference is any moron with the stupidity to do so, can stay in the gas and risk wrecking.

However, if you can't launch a car... you just can't launch a car, and stupidity won't make you ET well, no matter how "crazy" you are.

Hell, before she passed, my grandmother was gaining serious street cred for her roll racing skills.... and she couldn't walk up a flight of stairs unassisted. REAL TALK

I disagree with this.

I do think that drag racing takes more skill, without a doubt, but I think the skill level is still high for roll racing. The driver mod is applicable to both, meaning the driver makes or breaks good races.

I agree with your numbers, but for sake of sarcasm and seeing the venue is the kitchen... I laid it on thick

I disagree with this.

FWD LOL

I haz skillz

Or arguments sake let's just say there are no bystandards on the freeway. You have 2 miles if 71. Your telling me to keep a car under control at 160 plus is easier than launching a car at the track? I've been 160, and when I felt the car lift and glide, it was a nitemare. I've launched a lot of cars and nothing can compare to doing 160. Now on the other hand, launching the car took way more though cause you have to think about getting the max rpm lift without spinning and watching light and ect ECt, but it was never that butt puckering. Maybe we need someone who has been that fast at the track and the street but I think controlling a car on a normal surface is a bitch

Or arguments sake let's just say there are no bystandards on the freeway. You have 2 miles if 71. Your telling me to keep a car under control at 160 plus is easier than launching a car at the track? I've been 160, and when I felt the car lift and glide, it was a nitemare. I've launched a lot of cars and nothing can compare to doing 160. Now on the other hand, launching the car took way more though cause you have to think about getting the max rpm lift without spinning and watching light and ect ECt, but it was never that butt puckering. Maybe we need someone who has been that fast at the track and the street but I think controlling a car on a normal surface is a bitch

The scary factory definitely comes in at higher speeds, but if you car is "lifting" and "gliding" at 160, it probably wasn't meant to be there.

:dumb:

I've dome some "unreasonable" speeds late at night on a closed coarse for 1mile+ and never felt any sort of strangeness.

Bottom line:

High speed rolls at 140+ = SCARY

Digs: No scary, but requires SKILL

Go launch a fast car, you'd be surprised the difference between a 1.6 and a 1.4 60'. I bet you'd put Mark's Vette into a wall, hell I would, that shit isn't easy.

Now on the other hand if the car is set up right it isn't as hard to do either one. My car launches straight, and has a solid drivetrain, good tires, everything is balanced, and it goes straight and smooth at 160 too. Your old broke ass shit would be all over the place at 160 and would seem hard to do, and since you've never launched anything that takes any skill I've decided that you don't know what you're talking about.

So I got into this topic with an old timer today and I can see his point that roll racing isn't as hard as dig racing. Now I do think it does take some skill to be a good roll racer though. My argument is how many people go 160 plus on the track?? Not a lot. Shit gets a lil crazy past 150mph, also take into case the road is no where near as smooth as the track and you have other obstacles in the wAy. It takes a certain type of person to do over 180 mph, and the ones that do 200mph. Well they are just nuts.

Now yes it is hard to drag race, getting the launch down, timing the tree, staying in the groove, hooking, ect, it's no walk in the park. But the avg track car is a 12 sec car. Which means your not doing much more than 115mph.

So does roll racing get a bad rap because everyone does it, or is the track overrated?

I would have to disagree with the average track car being a 12 second car. I would say the average track car would be a 9 or 10 sec car. I never even heard of Roll racing until about 2004. There was no such thing as roll racing when Columbus was huge in to drag racing in the 90's. It was ok buddy, bring your car here from Chicago or Jersey or wherever. We will go out to 270 from Cental Point, shut down 270 and bust one off for 2,000 from a dig or give you some cars or whatever they agreed. Never roll racing though.

The scary factory definitely comes in at higher speeds, but if you car is "lifting" and "gliding" at 160, it probably wasn't meant to be there.

I've dome some "unreasonable" speeds late at night on a closed coarse for 1mile+ and never felt any sort of strangeness.

Bottom line:

Nail, meat head.

Car that goes 140 is scary at the track and takes skill. Have to launch, maybe peddle, and keep it under control at that speed.

Look at video of any street car that hauls ass at the track and you will see it is no cake walk to get the car down the track.

Bottom line:

DSGay

I haz skills.

I mean, the car does........