Launching Questions

DavidBaustert

Went to Kilkare last night to get some times out of a customers car. It's a 70mm turbo Grand Prix running slicks on the front. No line lock or 2 step. I was staging the car like a diesel, getting on the brakes at the first light, then brake boosting it and going forward to the second light. I couldn't get anything better than a 1.9 60'. I'm not sure if I wasn't getting high enough in the RPMs or what. Car has a built auto with some sort of stall in it. Any suggestions on how to improve this? Car made 400 whp on a dyno dynamics and I expect it should run much better than the 12.4 we got out of it. Thanks!

Word. I'll be out there again next thursday in it. Running 12# of pressure in the slicks and I also suspect were spinning the wheels inside the tires on the launch. 12# looks damn near flat on the car. Might try 15 and a chalk mark to see if we are in fact spinning them. Trap speed was 118 at the highest I believe.

What brand slicks? Has the trans been upgraded at all (with what parts if so) ? . Did you do any suspension mods? Any weight reduction? Did you heat up the tires good enough or didn't even heat them up at all? What was your trap speed?

MT et drags were the tires. Did a pretty good burnout. I believe it has upgraded shocks and springs. Full weight car. Highest trap speed was a 118. Car has a built tranny with some sort of convertor and shift settings have been changed. I didn't tune the car, was just handed the keys and told to do the best I could.

That's a good trap speed for that time. It's definitely making power. I'd try a different track like Norwalk that has pretty good traction. I've always had a problem hooking up anywhere but there.

You could try a few cheap suspension mods in the back. Some have used cable ties to keep the back end up or if there's room the GTO sping blockers.

I'm stuck in the same hole. I trapped 12.35@121 and the 60ft was 1.9. I would upgrade the brakes or get line lock to try and hold the car. 3-5psi Isn't leaving hard enough with your setup. I'd find out what convertor it has and launch at atleast 4k and 8-10psi. If your blowing the tires away adjust tire pressure and go from there.

I'm stuck in the same hole. I trapped 12.35@121 and the 60ft was 1.9. I would upgrade the brakes or get line lock to try and hold the car. 3-5psi Isn't leaving hard enough with your setup. I'd find out what convertor it has and launch at atleast 4k and 8-10psi. If your blowing the tires away adjust tire pressure and go from there.

GP's really don't need a line lock unless you're running 10's. I'm not sure what stall his converter is, but I"m guessing around 3k. Not sure on the gears either. Good luck trying to launch an auto at 4k.. especially a GP. You'd need a 3800 stall or so to do that.

He might just need some more seat time in the car. Kilkare isn't the best setup for FWD cars.