9" center section

Richard Cranium

Hey guys, I need some advice on getting this thing back in the car. It has been seeping gear oil since we installed it, so last Friday I had some time and decided to tear it apart and see if I could get it to seal up. I got as far as taking out the center section and failed. I got it far enough out that I can see the seal is good. I decided "fuck it, I'll just put it back in and see what happens". That brings me to this morning. I thought it would be a matter of shoving it back up into place, but I don't have the ass for it. I'm working on jack stands in the driveway. Every time I try and push it up in place it slides further out and is almost all the way out now. Who has swapped a center section in their driveway, and how did you go about maneuvering the 50 lb. center section in place under a car on jack stands? If it's just a matter of my ass being too girly to get it done, then I'll offer up $50 and beer to the manly man who can get it back in place.

Shit, I was trying to avoid that. Well, it's all the way out now. I figured it was too far out of line to just man handle it back into place. I'm going to try putting it on my motorcycle jack and lifting it up into place that way. I'm not sure how much longer I can work out there today though, damn it's getting hot. I think I'll just go ahead and get the torque arm and drive shaft the rest of the way out too so they won't be in the way.

i just lift mine and set it in most wont go in without a hammer the studs often arent perfectly straight usually once it starts evan with all the studs if falls the rest of the way on easy. i always thought the center sections were light. its the trannys i dont like lifting and getting on the dowel pins. th400s are heavy!!!!

I've taken the pumpkin in and out of the S10 so many times, its ridiculous.

I've used a jack a few times, but usually I just drain it, lay on my side and lift the fucker out of there. Maybe there's just a lot more room under the truck? I usually have the truck jacked up pretty high too.

Good luck

I've taken the pumpkin in and out of the S10 so many times, its ridiculous.

I've used a jack a few times, but usually I just drain it, lay on my side and lift the fucker out of there. Maybe there's just a lot more room under the truck? I usually have the truck jacked up pretty high too.

Good luck

I've done similar on my Dad's old Mustang, the f-body doesn't have much room and when the torque arm is off the whole housing rolls around. Its not the easiest.