Raptor-gate: Ford's response to bent frames

Mallard

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cliffs? I'm not reading all that.

Total of 10 trucks claiming frame damage, 4 were reported to a dealer, all were caused from the same obstacle. They went too fast over the obstacle......speed limiters were removed....aftermarket suspension removes a part that shouldn't be removed....recommends taking better precaution.

I think he said what needed to be said. I agree with just about everything he had to say. Also sorta what I expected to hear, just because you can afford one doesn't mean you can pilot it. We see it with exotics all the time, this is just a different animal.

everyone here has pushed their cars to the limits and beyond, dont bitch when it breaks. watch that video about 2/3 the way through and look at that bump he hits..

He hits two hard bumps going way to fast for them for sure. :yuno:

Why you no drive your truck the right way?

Total of 10 trucks claiming frame damage, 4 were reported to a dealer, all were caused from the same obstacle. They went too fast over the obstacle......speed limiters were removed....aftermarket suspension removes a part that shouldn't be removed....recommends taking better precaution.

Sounds like they were running a add a leaf style suspension too. If they were smart, they would've ponied up the extra $$$$ for a King Off Road Coilover set up. The Fox racing suspension is adjustable, but there's still limits to a vehicle. I'm glad to see Ford putting these idiots in their place. I'd shut them up with an offer of a discounted fix or a rebate on a new Raptor. Granted, it would open the door to more retards to break their Raptors.

Gotta admit, after seeing that video, that's abuse. That rear suspension still uses LEAF SPRINGS for god's sake. It's not a swing-arm with coilovers like a trophy truck. They were going way too fast for that bump.

The ford exec makes a good point that a recce needs to be done on any off-road course. Hell, we do that for our RallyX events that take place in a field. You have to know where the bad bumps are or you'll break cars. But then it's also up to the driver to slow down for those bad parts that can't be avoided.

As above, a $100K+ trophy truck would have handled that bump with ease, but they aren't driving $100K+ trophy trucks. Much as I hate siding with "The Man", I have to agree with Ford on this one.

If these guys want to run like this, a company should offer a swing-arm conversion. Then they can cut the back half of the frame off and get as much travel as they want.

These guys were adding leafs to the rear from my explanation from the article. King Pff Road offers a full coil over set up for the rear aswell for these trucks. Sounds like they almost brought it on themselves to get some height out of the trucks. The Raptor needs a few more components bolted onto the suspension if they wanted to really abuse the trucks.

meh,

advertise a truck as an off-road capable truck with people jumping the shit out of it all over FORD'S OFFICIAL WEBSITE, and what do you expect?? while i agree that these individuals may have been abusing their truck, the smarter choice for ford might be to just fix the reported 14 trucks (the svt engineer said it would be under $1000), and issue a statement on all raptor forums, as well as on their official website regarding 'abusing' the truck, and how to avoid bending the frame--

this story has gone through just about every major car enthusiast forum and has likely been viewed by millions of people---some of which (me) may re-consider any ford purchase in the future. certainly, ford cannot cover damage to every vehicle that comes in, that has been abused---but i have 3 gm cars with (at least) 5yr/100k mile warranties--ford doesn't offer this on any of their cars.

BS. Some may be abuse, but others have bent their frames without the abuse. The frame is weak at that point - how about they just go ahead and FIX THE WEAK FRAME? Hell, from the other post it looks like the aftermarket may have a fix to prevent the frame bending as well, which Ford should be looking directly at. Many of the trucks that bent were stock as well - why the hell is everyone buying the BS some Ford Executive is saying about "what actually happened" with the situation. He has more to gain from lying than anyone.

You know, instead of telling customers of their overpriced (loaded up they MSRP for $56,000), over-hyped off-road truck to piss off, show some support for it and take care of the issue, make the truck better, and the people who actually buy these things will eat up that kind of support. In the end, they would likely sell more trucks.

BS. Some may be abuse, but others have bent their frames without the abuse. The frame is weak at that point - how about they just go ahead and FIX THE WEAK FRAME? Hell, from the other post it looks like the aftermarket may have a fix to prevent the frame bending as well, which Ford should be looking directly at. Many of the trucks that bent were stock as well - why the hell is everyone buying the BS some Ford Executive is saying about "what actually happened" with the situation. He has more to gain from lying than anyone.

You know, instead of telling customers of their overpriced (loaded up they MSRP for $56,000), over-hyped off-road truck to piss off, show some support for it and take care of the issue, make the truck better, and the people who actually buy these things will eat up that kind of support. In the end, they would likely sell more trucks.

I <3 your fucked up point of view on everything you type.

Dont bother quoting me back,I could care less what you have to say.

i'd have to agree 100%. this is a unique truck, and a unique situation. there are plenty of people "on the sidelines" waiting to see how ford resolves the issue. ford can fix the issue for less than $20k, or they can tell their 'niche' customers to essentially fuck off in a very public way.