School me on a good performance tire for the street.

Rustlestiltskin

I'm trying to get 2 new rear tires for my GTO. I'm trying to get a nice summer tire with also drag radial qualities. So far, I've narrowed it down to 2 tires

1) Nitto nt05

or

2) Nitto invo

At this point i'm at a crossroads because i want a good gripping tire but I dont want it to wear out fast as hell and also not handle well if i get stuck in rain and such.

Any comments are appreciated.

thanks,

Paul

Overall I think the NT05's are a better tire for performance, but they will wear quicker 200 vs 240/260 for the invo. Alot of Corvette guys run these for Autocross as their competition tires.

I don't think you can really go wrong with either if that's what you have it narrowed down to, but hard facts don't lie that the wear rating is lower, thus won't last as long, on the NT05's.

I have the nt05s on my z06. They hook really well above 60 degrees F. I have about 7K miles on them so far so I can't tell you how long they will last- I will say they don't come with much tread to begin with- The invos aren't as sticky and don't have the sidewall stifness and provide sloppy handling in comparison but they do last longer. everyone says the nt05s are terrible in the rain- I have driven them in hard rain and haven't had a problem but they are still pretty new and I am very careful in the rain.

Why not get a set of 555r's? They do just fine in the rain. I had them on my Cobra and drove through standing water at 70+ when they were well worn. The NT-05R's, however, aren't worth a shit in the rain. Regular Nt-05's should be fine, but not the drag radial.

i've had great results with nittos. i had 275 555r's on my GTO (they will fit, no problem) for a few years---no problems in the rain, and they gripped like no other. and, they're very affordible.

i just got a set of NT05r's for the rear of my vette with invo's up front. the 05r's are NOT designed for rain as stated above.

i'd go with the invo's, or the 555r's. just get on discounttire.com and read the reviews

I had Nitto 555's (Not 555R's) on my supra all the way around and they did just fine for me dry/wet. Didn't put many miles on them (Maybe 3k) before the motor blew, but for as long as i had them i didn't have a problem. Also went with the 555's over the 555R's because it was my DD and saw a lot of miles.