Online classes at CSCC

verse

Before anyone gets their panties in a bind. I searched a found a couple threads about this, but didn't get any answers to my questions.

I applied to CSCC and filled out my FAFSA yesterday. I thought it was about time to get off my ass, make more money, continue my education, and make myself a better life.

I haven't talked to an advisor yet, I knew a lot of people on here have taken these kinds of classes so I thought I'd just ask a few questions.

The FAFSA said I'm eligible for $15050 in grants. I assume that'll pay for pretty much anything I want to take at CSCC and get me at least a 2 year degree. Do you have to buy books for online courses? If so, do you pay for them and get reimbursed from the grants? My work also has a tuition reimbursement plan where you put $.75 per each hour at work and they match it 100% into an account. I'm not sure how much of that I'd be able to use if my grants are going to pay for everything.

I was looking at taking the Sports management course, almost every class is available online except a few electives. Do these classes basically just consist of you sitting at home online for a couple hours a week per class reading the blackboard and doing papers basically?

The reason I ask is I work full-time currently and have my son most of the time. His mother is switching to part-time soon and she'll be taking him half the time now. I just want to know if I'll be able to use my free time for these classes and still have time for him. That's always been my main reason I didn't take any college classes, b/c I don't want to miss him growing up.

The FAFSA said I'm eligible for $15050 in grants. I assume that'll pay for pretty much anything I want to take at CSCC and get me at least a 2 year degree. Do you have to buy books for online courses? If so, do you pay for them and get reimbursed from the grants? My work also has a tuition reimbursement plan where you put $.75 per each hour at work and they match it 100% into an account. I'm not sure how much of that I'd be able to use if my grants are going to pay for everything.

I was looking at taking the Sports management course, almost every class is available online except a few electives. Do these classes basically just consist of you sitting at home online for a couple hours a week per class reading the blackboard and doing papers basically?

The reason I ask is I work full-time currently and have my son most of the time. His mother is switching to part-time soon and she'll be taking him half the time now. I just want to know if I'll be able to use my free time for these classes and still have time for him. That's always been my main reason I didn't take any college classes, b/c I don't want to miss him growing up.

1. What you're eligible for and what you get can be entirely different. You need to see what you are awarded.

2. Yes you need books for most online courses. You pay for them with money from student loans/grants. Basically they pay your fees and if there is anything left over it is refunded to you.

3. I wouldn't take Sports and Fitness Management classes online. You'll probably have hybrids for that anyway, most of the stuff will be online but you will go down to the lab once a week.

4. Online classes are different with every instructor. Usually they consist of discussion board posts, online quizzes, homework/reading, exams (can be online or at the testing center(s)), ad sometimes papers. Every class is structured differently though.

1. What you're eligible for and what you get can be entirely different. You need to see what you are awarded.

2. Yes you need books for most online courses. You pay for them with money from student loans/grants. Basically they pay your fees and if there is anything left over it is refunded to you.

3. I wouldn't take Sports and Fitness Management classes online. You'll probably have hybrids for that anyway, most of the stuff will be online but you will go down to the lab once a week.

4. Online classes are different with every instructor. Usually they consist of discussion board posts, online quizzes, homework/reading, exams (can be online or at the testing center(s)), ad sometimes papers. Every class is structured differently though.

Thanks.

At first I thought I'd do marketing, but a lot of people have told me that it sucks. I've always been good at math and history b/c they interest me the most. I've also been told that Sports Management is kind of a waste, but seems like something I'd enjoy. It looks like only a couple quarters would have classes that aren't online. I wouldn't have a problem at work taking a couple half days.

Most of the courses available online don't interest me a ton, but it's the only way I'd be able to take classes.

A lot of online classes also have online books. Devry has an application that works as the interface and you download books to it. Your permitted to use them as much as you want during the semester then they drop out of the interface afterwards I believe. Off the top of my head I don't remember how they compared in price to a normal book but the inability to sell something back blows IMO. I'd be surprised if most colleges don't have some version of this for the iPuss by now.

Going to the book store and standing in line just seems so antiquated.

One thing I did hate was the online shells that most classes use today. You have a certain portion of your course load that is just an online forum for discussing whatever the professor posts. You get 2-3 responses then 50 of the 'i agree with so and so...' Devry makes you do that for almost everything now, I hated that shit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so torn what I should take. I can only go to very limited on campus courses, maybe 1 per quarter or every other quarter. I got my FAFSA and I got the full amount available. The Pell Grant gives me $1850 a quarter, which seems more than enough. I figured to take 12-15 credits per quarter.

Does anyone have a degree in finance?

If I were to make any suggestions it would be to minor (Or major) in Information Technology. Tons of jobs and probably the least hit segment in the market. All it takes is a desire to make more and some moving around a little (Locally) and it should do you well.

Just my 2 cents

Books from the campus store are expensive. Save yourself the money and get the ISBN numbers of the books you need, along with finding out exactly what edition you need, then look at half.com or something for used books. I did this the entire time I went to CSCC. You may have to go in to the actual bookstore and look for the books to get these 2 pieces of info. Biggest advice: make sure you get the right edition. Then you can sell the books again at the end of the quarter and make your money back. I easily saved a couple hundred bucks each quarter on books.

Books from the campus store are expensive. Save yourself the money and get the ISBN numbers of the books you need, along with finding out exactly what edition you need, then look at half.com or something for used books. I did this the entire time I went to CSCC. You may have to go in to the actual bookstore and look for the books to get these 2 pieces of info. Biggest advice: make sure you get the right edition. Then you can sell the books again at the end of the quarter and make your money back. I easily saved a couple hundred bucks each quarter on books.

THIS. I saved over 100$ on my last legal course book by buying it on half.com, which is basically ebay.

What Hal said was right. Personally i would major in something more broad so your not SOL when you graduate. Have you thought about a BA or maybe transfering to another school to get a 4 year? Not that you need to or anything just asking. If your that good at math dont shy away from finance or anything in that field, but its all about what you want anyway. 12+ credit hours is considered fulltime, usually this is 3 or more classes. I try and take at least 3 or more classes every quarter, with working fulltime and cant imagine having to take care of a child too. My advice would be to start small, maybe one or two classes to see how it'll work out and if your confident you can handle more then go for it next quarter. If you decide to take 12-15 credit hours you can always drop a class so no big deal either.

I have yet to take an online course b/c i learn best in a classroom but i have heard that you need to be motivated to do it on your own because no one will be there to make you get on blackboard and get your assignments done. Keep us posted on your progress and goodluck.

What Hal said was right. Personally i would major in something more broad so your not SOL when you graduate. Have you thought about a BA or maybe transfering to another school to get a 4 year? Not that you need to or anything just asking. If your that good at math dont shy away from finance or anything in that field, but its all about what you want anyway. 12+ credit hours is considered fulltime, usually this is 3 or more classes. I try and take at least 3 or more classes every quarter, with working fulltime and cant imagine having to take care of a child too. My advice would be to start small, maybe one or two classes to see how it'll work out and if your confident you can handle more then go for it next quarter. If you decide to take 12-15 credit hours you can always drop a class so no big deal either.

I have yet to take an online course b/c i learn best in a classroom but i have heard that you need to be motivated to do it on your own because no one will be there to make you get on blackboard and get your assignments done. Keep us posted on your progress and goodluck.

I've thought about it, but I don't think it would be manageable for me to transfer anywhere else unless I could do everything at night or online. I also have a lot of free time at work where I basically do nothing, so I'll be able to do some school work while at work. I know it's going to be a little difficult starting out, but lately I've just had a feeling that I'm going no where quick. I want to at least get some sort of degree. I just know if I don't do anything I'm going to keep being unhappy about my career.

According to everything I've read about the Pell Grant, you must be considered full time to receive benefits. So I'm going to give it my best shot. I'm a lot more motivated now that I'm in the real world than back when I was in high school. I keep feeling that sports management is a waste of a degree, but it's something I know I'll enjoy taking the classes. I keep telling myself it's basically a business management degree anyhow right? Would most employers not see it that way?

Jon, be aware that CSCC is changing to Semesters from quarters after Spring Quarter 2012. Classes are going to be quite different at 16 weeks. OSU is doing the same.

Also make sure you don't need any codes when buying textbooks online from anyone, if you need it most are one time use, and you will buy from Amazon, need the code and still have to buy from us. To be clear, the bookstore does not want to sell new books we want to sell used books, our margin is better and we save lots on freight, however our hands are tied as the Faculty picks the books to be taught out of for each class. Reps from publishers must have some serious charm when they talk them into adopting a $150 textbook. Starting this fall we finally have a committee on textbook affordability and the faculty are going to have to answer as to why a really expensive book is necessary.

The website I am in charge of: http://bookstore.cscc.edu has ISBN, Title, Author, and Edition if we know the edition. We do not try to hide anything. Some books are custom titles and you can only get them through us. I see people get mad because they think they received a deal on their textbook through their friend or Amazon and still have to buy from us. We are not here trying to charge you a ton of money, CSCC is the only school in Ohio to NOT raise tuition in the last 6 years, and the bookstore buyback policy is the best in the state: 50% buyback no matter if you bought it NEW or USED as long as we are using the book next semester or quarter and we don't have too many already in stock. Math: $100 book new is bought back for $50, Same book is sold used for $75 and we still buy it back for $50, when you buy used and sell it back it nets you $25 for the class. We buy textbooks every single day we are open.

I've been working here for almost 14 years.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm registered for my classes now, total came to $1013.50. Does the Pell Grant automatically pay for all of it or is there another step I have to take? I had $1850 in Pell Grants, does that mean I get $836.50 in a check of the remaining balance?

Jon, be aware that CSCC is changing to Semesters from quarters after Spring Quarter 2012. Classes are going to be quite different at 16 weeks. OSU is doing the same.

Also make sure you don't need any codes when buying textbooks online from anyone, if you need it most are one time use, and you will buy from Amazon, need the code and still have to buy from us. To be clear, the bookstore does not want to sell new books we want to sell used books, our margin is better and we save lots on freight, however our hands are tied as the Faculty picks the books to be taught out of for each class. Reps from publishers must have some serious charm when they talk them into adopting a $150 textbook. Starting this fall we finally have a committee on textbook affordability and the faculty are going to have to answer as to why a really expensive book is necessary.

The website I am in charge of: http://bookstore.cscc.edu has ISBN, Title, Author, and Edition if we know the edition. We do not try to hide anything. Some books are custom titles and you can only get them through us. I see people get mad because they think they received a deal on their textbook through their friend or Amazon and still have to buy from us. We are not here trying to charge you a ton of money, CSCC is the only school in Ohio to NOT raise tuition in the last 6 years, and the bookstore buyback policy is the best in the state: 50% buyback no matter if you bought it NEW or USED as long as we are using the book next semester or quarter and we don't have too many already in stock. Math: $100 book new is bought back for $50, Same book is sold used for $75 and we still buy it back for $50, when you buy used and sell it back it nets you $25 for the class. We buy textbooks every single day we are open.

I've been working here for almost 14 years.

I took a paralegal course last quarter, legal264, $200 fucking dollars for the book and we barely used the damn thing. shit, even used at the bookstore was $150. i went on half.com and bought it for like $108 shipped. The instructor we had was really cool, but he did everything in class and hardly used the book fuckin sweet waste of money.