POR15/Amerlock 400 for new metal?

hpfiend

Hey all-

What would you recommend as a tough automotive grade paint for a new master cylinder cover and some mild box and plate steel I recently welded to prevent rusting? Looking for combination or paint and primer recs please

Thanks!

Andrew

This. Any of the PPG DP primers (the number is the color, and they have several colors). Avoid POR like the plague for anything but heavily pitted/rough metal.

I agree, por15 is for heavy rust.

Thanks for the recs!

I called around and found the dp90 at ohio auto kolor but he said I need a automotive spray gun to put it on?

He then said the self-etching primer in the rattle can doesn't have a catalyst? Do you think that is still best for me?

He said he never heard of amerlock 400 and wanted a part number which I have not found online as of yet.

???

dp is a spray on that you need a paint gun for. its also the best stuff ever made and worth buying a cheep gun for.

because it sucks balls. i've had it peel off in sheets before.

On parts or as an undercoating? I used it in a small section under my truck when I had the trans out to see how it would turn out. It has held up great and I didnt prep all that well. I dont see how it would be shitty with good, solid prep. I was looking forward to finishing the bottom of the truck in it.

On parts or as an undercoating? I used it in a small section under my truck when I had the trans out to see how it would turn out. It has held up great and I didnt prep all that well. I dont see how it would be shitty with good, solid prep. I was looking forward to finishing the bottom of the truck in it.

thats the thing, it doesn't stick to clean new metal.