Thinking about first truck.

cornbreadxd

So i've never had a truck before and I want one to drive in the winter months and so I can have something to carry my motorcycle and other misc. stuff on occasion. Now I love shifting gears so a manual is pretty much all i've been looking at. I'm in the $3k range which I think is solid for a early 2000's truck.

Now my question is I've been really leaning towards an s10/sonoma because there are alot out there but im not too sure on the whole 4cyl and v6 comparisons, i looked at alot of forums and they are all over the place with info and i'm a total truck n00b:confused::confused:

I'm kinda leaning towards the v6 but the gas mileage will be a difference in $$$$ but how about the performance because I mean i do ENJOY driving and yeah I'm probably gonna mod it a bit. But other than the s10/sonoma's should I be looking at other trucks also? I don't need a full size pickup by any means and only need 2 seats so anyone have any suggestions? I've been scouring clist for a few days now.

So i've never had a truck before and I want one to drive in the winter months and so I can have something to carry my motorcycle and other misc. stuff on occasion. Now I love shifting gears so a manual is pretty much all i've been looking at. I'm in the $3k range which I think is solid for a early 2000's truck.

Now my question is I've been really leaning towards an s10/sonoma because there are alot out there but im not too sure on the whole 4cyl and v6 comparisons, i looked at alot of forums and they are all over the place with info and i'm a total truck n00b:confused::confused:

I'm kinda leaning towards the v6 but the gas mileage will be a difference in $$$$ but how about the performance because I mean i do ENJOY driving and yeah I'm probably gonna mod it a bit. But other than the s10/sonoma's should I be looking at other trucks also? I don't need a full size pickup by any means and only need 2 seats so anyone have any suggestions? I've been scouring clist for a few days now.

s10/noma with a 4.3 is the best way to go. 2.2 was designed for fwd cars and should have stayed there.

I get 24mpg in 92 s10 with the 4.3.

4.3s are actually rather fun in these trucks and respond well to mods. As well 4.3s are about bullet proof.

• Upvote 1

Both the 4 cylinder and V6 S10s are pretty reliable engines, but the 4 banger is underpowered IMHO. I've had 5 different S10s with every engine but a 2.2. The 4.3 is an awesome engine in those trucks, the 2.8 and 2.5 drive about the same not horrible with a 5 speed but not very peppy either.

If you look into Rangers avoid the 4.0L, everything else is pretty comparable to S10s.

• Upvote 1

ok well, I'd rather take the CR word for it and drop the 2.2l and go after a v6, hows the market in columbus for them because it's kinda wide open in Cleveland there is alot of crap and alot of junk that people want outrageous $$$ for but i've seen some nice stuff that i've called on but the owners were about as clueless as an auction reseller. I looked at some that were already lowered but the p/o had already bought them that way so they couldn't tell me what parts were there and I have NO problems with doing my own suspension work so i'd probably want to have everything stock for the most part.

thought about looking into this one http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/2519438732.html

but i don't want to just jump in without testing the waters.

A 2.2 S10 will make you want to kill yourself. Get a 4.3 for sure. If you're wanting a 2wd, hold out for one with the ZQ8 suspension, it makes a big difference in handling and they also look a lot better.

I've got a clean '99 Ranger that sounds exactly like what you're looking for, but it'd take $3500 for me to sell it and I'm on the opposite side of the state. It's a 2wd 3.0 V6 5 spd Sport XLT single cab short bed.

I agree with those guys. Both engines are reliable, but get the V6. Gas mileage isn't much different, and they are much more pleasant to drive. I had a regular cab S10 Xtreme with a 2.2, and it was ridiculously slow. I have a '91 S10 with a TBI 4.3 and 5-speed, and I really like it. You said you want a newer (2000's) truck, those have the Vortec 4.3 which I've driven several times and that motor performs really well for a truck that size.

If you're tall (6'2" or more) I'd recommend getting an extended cab. There isn't a lot of leg room in the regular cabs and it can get uncomfortable on road trips. As far as winter driving goes, both mine were lowered 2WD trucks and I had zero issues in the snow.

• Upvote 1

well naw, it doesn't matter if its older than 2000's I probably should just say 2nd gen but I mean if the right 1st gen truck came up I'd rock it. and i'm 5'8 (my feet touch the ground on my bike, its not a pocket bike. me>short jokes)

and 03svt I've got a 280z that needs a clutch and bodywork if you want to unload the ranger for less

well naw, it doesn't matter if its older than 2000's I probably should just say 2nd gen but I mean if the right 1st gen truck came up I'd rock it. and i'm 5'8 (my feet touch the ground on my bike, its not a pocket bike. me>short jokes)

and 03svt I've got a 280z that needs a clutch and bodywork if you want to unload the ranger for less

Well with what you want to spend and if you have time to look around, you can find some clean 1st gens. Maybe I'm biased, but I prefer the 1st gen look.

If you're dead set on a 2nd gen, do yourself a favor and get a 98 or newer. The 94-97 front ends are pretty ugly.

I agree with those guys. Both engines are reliable, but get the V6. Gas mileage isn't much different, and they are much more pleasant to drive. I had a regular cab S10 Xtreme with a 2.2, and it was ridiculously slow. I have a '91 S10 with a TBI 4.3 and 5-speed, and I really like it. You said you want a newer (2000's) truck, those have the Vortec 4.3 which I've driven several times and that motor performs really well for a truck that size.

If you're tall (6'2" or more) I'd recommend getting an extended cab. There isn't a lot of leg room in the regular cabs and it can get uncomfortable on road trips. As far as winter driving goes, both mine were lowered 2WD trucks and I had zero issues in the snow.

XTREME

• Upvote 1

I'm biased towards the S10 and Sonoma, but this seems like a pretty decent truck for the money, although it is an automatic.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94957

Not worth the money IMO. You can get a 4wd s10/noma for the same money with way fewer miles.

Not worth the money IMO. You can get a 4wd s10/noma for the same money with way fewer miles.

Most 4wd S10's in that price range belong to Billy Bob in BFE, they're 6 different colors, rusty as hell, 4 different wheels and tires, the interior looks like chickens lived in it, etc. I spent a long time looking for one and that's what I found to be the case anyway.

Most 4wd S10's in that price range belong to Billy Bob in BFE, they're 6 different colors, rusty as hell, 4 different wheels and tires, the interior looks like chickens lived in it, etc. I spent a long time looking for one and that's what I found to be the case anyway.

Just have to look in the right places and talk to the right people.

Just chiming in on the S10 topic that's been beat into the ground.

I've had 7 S10s and 3 S10 Blazers. Had 2.5, 2.2, 2.8, 4.3(vortec and non), and V8s. 2wd and 4wd. Lowered and lifted. :)

Every one did what I bought them to do perfectly.

Find a 4.3 w/ a 5speed and they are fun(ish).

For what it's worth, my father in law had a mid (I think) 90's S10 with the 4.3. The first time I towed my pop up camper with it, I was AMAZED! I had no idea what the size of the engine was, and it all made sense when I got to the campground and popped the hood lol. I honestly could not tell the camper was on the back. It never rocked the truck, made it sway, etc. It pulled that thing like there was nothing hooked up to the truck. Great motor.

Only thing I will say is that the brake feel sucked. WITHOUT anything on the hitch, it still felt like I had to stand on the brake pedal to stop it. Not literally, but you get the point. The rotors in the front are pretty small for a truck, allbeit, a smaller truck.

A 2.2 S10 will make you want to kill yourself. Get a 4.3 for sure. If you're wanting a 2wd, hold out for one with the ZQ8 suspension, it makes a big difference in handling and they also look a lot better.

I've got a clean '99 Ranger that sounds exactly like what you're looking for, but it'd take $3500 for me to sell it and I'm on the opposite side of the state. It's a 2wd 3.0 V6 5 spd Sport XLT single cab short bed.

lol dam you want GOLD for a 12 year old ranger......

are you specific to just a tiny ass truck like that? for 3k u can get around a 2000 f150... bigger truck more room.

personally ive had rangers and i currently have a s10(with teh 2.2 ) and its wayyyyyy to small of a truck..hell i feel safer being in my srt4 then this pos truck if it ever got hit

edit also if you must get a tiny truck go for a toyota tacoma...

Although this is pretty much true, I did see a few really clean/cheap/stock 4wd S10 pickups/Blazers when I was looking last month. They are hard to find though.

Same thing with 1st gen S10's. Most of them are either beat and rusted to hell, or they are painted some awful color with a custom (hideous) interior and a half assed carbed V8 swap. It's so hard to find one in good shape that's original and been taken care of. Maybe down south, but pretty rare to find up here.

Although this is pretty much true, I did see a few really clean/cheap/stock 4wd S10 pickups/Blazers when I was looking last month. They are hard to find though.

Same thing with 1st gen S10's. Most of them are either beat and rusted to hell, or they are painted some awful color with a custom (hideous) interior and a half assed carbed V8 swap. It's so hard to find one in good shape that's original and been taken care of. Maybe down south, but pretty rare to find up here.

Truth. I'm lucky though, I found my truck up in the Cleveland area.