Thinking about first truck.

cornbreadxd

A 2.2 S10 will make you want to kill yourself. Get a 4.3 for sure. If you're wanting a 2wd, hold out for one with the ZQ8 suspension, it makes a big difference in handling and they also look a lot better.

I've got a clean '99 Ranger that sounds exactly like what you're looking for, but it'd take $3500 for me to sell it and I'm on the opposite side of the state. It's a 2wd 3.0 V6 5 spd Sport XLT single cab short bed.

Fahgeddabout S10s, it's all about the Dakotas. Buy mine in the corral. It's 100% not a manual, but it is a V8. Do it.

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94957

thats actually perfect its right in the middle of a compact poS10 and a full size...

You're not going to have an easy time finding a 4.3 5 speed combo, it wasn't a option most picked. I had one with a manual it was a 99 and I liked it got around 22 highway I believe which isn't bad for a truck and it was decent with hauling things and getting around in the snow.

I got no problems with the size factor of the interior because truthfully I prefer a smaller cabin I don't want to feel like I'm commanding a battleship and i don't want to sit on phonebooks. I do want to know what I usually have to look for with the v6, I read about the head gaskets of the 4cyl but the v6 I'm kinda clueless.

The Toyota trucks up here are either pristine and out of my price range or beat to hell and ran thru like a truck stop whore

lol dam you want GOLD for a 12 year old ranger......

Good to see your girlfriend let you get on the computer.

In my area, it's priced right, and as I said in my post that's what it'd take for ME to sell it because I have no reason to let it go.

Is the second time you quoted me meant to compare my truck to the Dakota? Interesting since you've never seen my truck, heard the milage, or asked my reason for pricing it. That Dakota has more miles than all 3 vehicles I own combined, needs attention in some spots, and he's obviously wanting to sell it bad. Is it a good price? Yes, I think so, but it's two completely different scenarios and vehicles. Go make your girlfriend breakfast now.

I've got to be the one who mentions Tacoma's, lol. I had a 1997 Tacoma with a 5-speed and that truck was tough as nails, loved it!

Absolutely.

From what I have seen the Dodges are starting to rust out as well (more from the outside in however.

I would push an F150 anyday since they are pretty outstanding 97-03 especially, but they are obviously larger.

the small GMs are pretty great for dependability, but CHUG gas.

Good to see your girlfriend let you get on the computer.

In my area, it's priced right, and as I said in my post that's what it'd take for ME to sell it because I have no reason to let it go.

Is the second time you quoted me meant to compare my truck to the Dakota? Interesting since you've never seen my truck, heard the milage, or asked my reason for pricing it. That Dakota has more miles than all 3 vehicles I own combined, needs attention in some spots, and he's obviously wanting to sell it bad. Is it a good price? Yes, I think so, but it's two completely different scenarios and vehicles. Go make your girlfriend breakfast now.

thats cute since u know knowing of me... but good try, on the girlfriend comment :finger:

an hell if ur ranger goes for that much in your neck of the woods you live near some dumb ass people

and no it wasent ment to compare it to the dakota ,my phone is gay when i quote things

That s10 is badass but I'm probably never going to go offroad, that truck would give me an excuse to but then i'd be spending more time in the truck than on my bike, I'll keep my eye on it though.

I already looked at the Dakota and i can't do it with the v8 and hardcore city driving, I'll have to pull a fast n' furious and steal a gas truck, I did look at CLEETUS at one point though

an hell if ur ranger goes for that much in your neck of the woods you live near some dumb ass people

I won't deny this.

Don't take it personal, was just a small jab because, although I haven't been here long, old Paul > new Paul online.

Paul are they both sticks or autos, I mean I can get nice mpg by shifting efficiently and not going balls out at every traffic light, I'm definitely on the hunt right now though, any other truck considerations though? And of course I've no issue with driving down to Columbus for a solid deal

I had a 2wd Sonoma with ZQ8 suspension and the 4.3L v6 and really enjoyed it. Hauled by CBR600 then my RC51 for years. I test drove a few 4 bangers and like everyone else said, was just very underpowered. As far as winter driving, throw a few hundred pounds in the back and you'll be fine. I had an automatic, but I think the MT would perform even better if you can find one, they were pretty hard to come by when I was searching for that combo.

well I think im gonna probably go with the truck I posted earlier, its a zr2 though so I think lowering it is out of the question but finding a v6 5speed is almost f-ing impossible it seems. any suggestions on how I should haggle this because apparently the rockers are rusted out but I will see it in person sunday.

well I think im gonna probably go with the truck I posted earlier, its a zr2 though so I think lowering it is out of the question but finding a v6 5speed is almost f-ing impossible it seems. any suggestions on how I should haggle this because apparently the rockers are rusted out but I will see it in person sunday.

The maroon '95? That doesn't appear to be a ZR2, just a regular 4x4, although there wasn't a big difference anyway. No reason to lower a 4x4, lift it if anything. Is it a TBI or Vortec motor?

ahhh...know what it's not a zr2, i read the autocheck wrong, I think it might be the ls version...anyway to check using the VIN #? And I'll have to find out on the motor when I get there, should I be wary of TBI? I remember reading something about the 4.3 motors can be interchangeable somewhat...again will the VIN # on the engine tell me if there was a swap or do I just look for the big "Vortec" embedded on it

Check the sticker in the glovebox for the RPO ZR2. I can tell you right now its not a ZR2 though, but if you want to know the differences, read this...

http://www.s10extremist.org/tech_articles/zr2_comparison.htm

Yeah, you can tell just by looking at the engines, as the TBI engine looks completely different than the Vortec. Both are great and very reliable, but the Vortec is more powerful. Most 2nd gens were Vortecs, but I'm pretty sure some of the early ones (94-96) had the TBI.