Barking dog

blue98ls1

I need some advice on how to shut up a dog.

First off, We have 4 dogs:

Chihuahua (in the house, never outside - Nitro)

Italian Grey Hound (Abby)

Siberian Husky/German Shepherd (Echo)

Great Dane/Lab mix (Harley)

All of the dogs except Harley, are pretty well behaved and know not to bark etc. We have a fenced in back yard and allow 3 of the dogs to run around. Harley is an extremely well behaved dog around people, but he is still a puppy (6 months) and unfortunately has a chewing habit from hell. He recently chewed through our cable line running into the house and that was the last straw, so he is now tied up.

But now, he won't shut up. For the record he barked a lot before but now its just untolerable. Him and the Greyhound don't get along well at all, and she was harassing him while he was on the leash for a while so we tied her up too. (She has little man syndrome, she gets along great with Echo, but snaps at Harley.) Now he has absolutely no reason at all to be barking and I have done absolutely everything to get him to shut up. Including putting a barking collar on him (One of the shock ones) and it has done absolutely NOTHING.

I don't want to get rid of him, but if I can't find something quick, he is going to have to go. :fuuuu: I can't take it and I am sure the neighbors would agree something has to be done about the barking. The only thing saving his ass from the pound at the moment is the barking has been mostly during the day and he has been quiet at night.

I am also sure the barking is because he doesn't want to be on the rope and he wants to be with Echo or have attention or something. Its just not possible with his destructive behavior. And he is only destructive when no one is around. If we are present, he is perfectly fine.

We are taking him in to be fixed next week. I am hoping that does something for calming him down.

Advice?

Give him things to destroy. Our dog was the same way. We have a fish tank so, when I buy gallon jugs of water for the tank, he gets to play with the jugs. At first they would be destroyed rather quickly. We had to give him every bottle we had as soon as we used it. Now he has grown older and not so destructive we rarely give him the jugs.

Give him things to destroy. Our dog was the same way. We have a fish tank so, when I buy gallon jugs of water for the tank, he gets to play with the jugs. At first they would be destroyed rather quickly. We had to give him every bottle we had as soon as we used it. Now he has grown older and not so destructive we rarely give him the jugs.

I gave my doberman empty plastic jugs/2 liter bottles too and it was very good for getting "destructive" energy out. I would just make sure he doesn't eat the plastic pieces (mine didn't). Also, fixing my dog did calm him down a little bit, but the only big behavior difference was not uncontrollably humping females.

you will more than likely have to choose between the IG and the Great dane. These breeds do not get along together and should never co-exist. I had 2 IG's and they never got along with greyhounds or great danes. Naturally both of those dogs will chase animals smaller than they. I have witnessed an IG almost killed by a grey hound that was 17months broke from the race track.

Generally a dog that barks non-stop wants attention. If you give it attention it will continue to bark.

bark collar / shocking kind ? sounds cruel but our very first boxer wore one for about 1 week. we still talk about who she hated it and would bark and wince sucking up the charge, which increased if the dog continued to bark.

again, she would bark at you not stop as if she was egging you on and didn't care what you said or did.

one day she just stopped outside a few barks if she saw someone out front. after taking the collar off she did bark at people, dogs, typical stuff outside and while looking out the window, but the constant stuff stopped cold.

e-collars are nice if you aren't supervising the dogs at all times. It allows you to get a physical touch without having to run to the dog while he's barking.

If you get one, I recommend the remote controlled ones not the bark collars. Put it on the dog and let him wear it for a week or two before you do anything with it, otherwise he may get collar wise. They're not that bad either, I've shocked myself on all levels.

e-collars are nice if you aren't supervising the dogs at all times. It allows you to get a physical touch without having to run to the dog while he's barking.

If you get one, I recommend the remote controlled ones not the bark collars. Put it on the dog and let him wear it for a week or two before you do anything with it, otherwise he may get collar wise. They're not that bad either, I've shocked myself on all levels.

Try doing it NOT drunk.

Ok well an ecollar is the thing you put on a dog after it has surgery its the cone thing.

http://www.petco.com/product/113494/PETCO-Dog-E-Collar.aspx?CoreCat=LookAhead

This is what you want and it works really well. It is progressive so the shocks get worse as the dog barks.I have used it with great success.

http://www.petco.com/product/8925/PetSafe-Deluxe-Bark-Control-Pet-Training-System.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

Try doing it NOT drunk.

I was 100% sober every time. The highest level gives you a nice jolt, but I've only used that on the dog once or twice.

Ok well an ecollar is the thing you put on a dog after it has surgery its the cone thing.

http://www.petco.com/product/113494/PETCO-Dog-E-Collar.aspx?CoreCat=LookAhead

This is what you want and it works really well. It is progressive so the shocks get worse as the dog barks.I have used it with great success.

http://www.petco.com/product/8925/PetSafe-Deluxe-Bark-Control-Pet-Training-System.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

An e-collar is also an electronic collar.

This is the one I use. Again, I don't suggest the bark collars as the severely limit your training abilities. You have a nice range of stuff you can do with the e-collars.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&q=sport+basic+g3&gs_upl=5366l6787l0l7955l12l10l0l0l0l0l263l1778l0.6.4l10l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1600&bih=809&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5644865117339104362&sa=X&ei=td9KTpvcGLTIsQLykqCrCA&sqi=2&ved=0CEwQ8wIwAA

It also sounds like the dog has separation anxiety. Try making him work for affection or treats (simple things like sit work fine) and make sure not to pay any attention to him until he calms down when you get home. Supply him with things that are ok for him to chew on. Give him a mild correction and redirect his attention to his toys any time he chews on something he's not supposed to.

PS. Before you send him to the pound, let me know. I'm sure I can find someone to foster him, or maybe I can, so he doesn't have to go to one of the shelters.

I also recommend the e-collar. When Ryan trained Onyx and Dante we coughed up the money for two e-collars (Sport Dog brand, about $200 a piece) and had them both trained with those. We had a really bad problem with Dante barking at the fence at people and dogs at the apartments behind our house. Those collars solved the majority of our problems. I recommend watching the videos or having someone experienced help you at first so you do it right, but they are well worth it. Ours are remote controlled and the dogs can swim with them on and everything. Great investment.

What constructive outlet is the dog being given for it's energy? I.E. what kind of training are you doing with the dog or what kind of tasks where the dog has to focus are you giving the dog?

Thank you. Finally, someone with an intelligent question.

Get him one of these.

http://www.moochieandcompany.com/GoughnutRing_PAAAIAGDPLKJFOGP.html

They have a red center layer and if the red starts to show you can send it to the company and they send back a brand new one.

I wish I'd known about these when Titan was still alive. He could destroy a black, heavy duty Kong in 10min if he was feeling extra frisky. Tiny little $25 pieces in a nice little pile.

The tasks of chewing things and barking are not being handed down by by the owner, at least not directly. Of course a dog that has nothing constructive to do is going to do things that are undesireable. Same as with kids. Kids that aren't given a constructive outlet for their energy are going to find ways to release it one way or another and in a lot of cases it's going to be in a manner that is usually frowned upon by adults.

Mike (Copperhead) had a dog named Clover. The dog was effing nuts. High energy dog that just bounced off the wall. If I recall corectly, also chewed on a lot of things she wasn't supposed to. Within 5 min of me putting her on a leash and working with her, she calmed right down and payed attention to me and what I wanted her to do. By the end of me leaving Mike's house that night, I would tell her to sit, she sat, and didn't move until I told her she could. I walk around with her, she is right at my side. I took her for 2 days while Mike went out of town and I had her heeling and auto sitting perfectly. So clover could choose to be a nut case and pull on the leash and chew a bunch of crap, or she could pay attention to the direction I was giving her. She received praise for making the decisions I wanted and a correction for making the decisions I didn't.

Another member on here, Brian, had a boxer that pulled on the leash and would go ballistic barking and pulling whenever he saw another dog. I took him for 4 days and worked with him. Heel, Auto Sit, down, etc. When he went back and I took him home and we did a go home lesson out in the neighborhood, he was great. We had another dog across the street barking and pulling its owner towards Rocky and Rocky stayed focused on the command he was in. Maintaining the heel.

The point is, sure, some dogs may want more attention than others but most unwanted behavior can be overcome by having constructive interaction with the dog and giving the dog a job. By training the dog you lay a foundation for communication and as a result, can dictate to the dog what behaviors are wanted and which ones aren't, all without confusing the dog by leaving him outside all day tied to a rope/chain and shocking him every time he barks.

Sure he will learn not to bak because he gets a shock whenever he does it, so what's to stop him from starting to dig holes in your yard then as an outlet for his energy?

Just some thoughts...

Any idea how to shut up an neighbors dog? Lol, he's got a Pomeranian that barks endlessly, at everything. I'd like to give him some lead treats to play with, but I don't think the neighbor would appreciate that too much.

Any less lethal ways to shut one up? I'm still waiting for the day it comes under my fence. If my pit doesn't take care of it, I will then.

Any idea how to shut up an neighbors dog? Lol, he's got a Pomeranian that barks endlessly, at everything. I'd like to give him some lead treats to play with, but I don't think the neighbor would appreciate that too much.

Any less lethal ways to shut one up? I'm still waiting for the day it comes under my fence. If my pit doesn't take care of it, I will then.

Typically if you blow your own brains out, you won't hear the dog anymore. Try it, don't report back.