Pulling to the right under hard braking

Aaron

Hello,

My car recently developed a pull under hard braking. It isn't every time, but it is the majority of the time. I have been trying to narrow down when it does it, but haven't noticed a pattern.

Under hard braking, the car pulls to the right pretty drastically. Car has newer oem rotors, hps pads, tyrol bushings, goodridge lines and ate fluid. This is a recent change in the last 2 months, and is not tied to the install of the mods.

We thought it was the alignment, but I just had it done and everything checked out.

Any ideas besides a sticking caliper?

Something of note: I just swapped my bilsteins out for the stock suspension and the pull has been consistent with both suspensions, and with 2 alignments.

Update:

I just took the carriers, calipers and slides apart, cleaned them, greased them and made sure there was no build up of dust anywhere.

Still pulls to the right.

Another clue though: Once I heat up the brakes, and I mean heat them up big time, it stops straight......

Clues?

Still haven't bled the lines yet.

Edited by Aaron

Does the shifter "buck"/Shake when you apply the brakes?

Had some issue like that when I first bought the Lexus: Applied the brakes and it pulled heavy to one side and the shifter shook almost violently.

Drifted/Braked the living shit out of it and free'd up whatever was sticking.:cool:

you need to check the calipers. you could have a slide sticking or a pad stuck on the bracket. check both sides, just because it pulls right doesn't mean its the right side sticking. it could be a left caliper not applying.

you need to check the calipers. you could have a slide sticking or a pad stuck on the bracket. check both sides, just because it pulls right doesn't mean its the right side sticking. it could be a left caliper not applying.

I will check the slides, they haven't been greased in a while, so that could be it but i doubt it.

I don't quite understand what you mean in the bold.

I was thinking the same thing about either one sticking or one not working enough.

Any other thoughts?

the part of the bracket the pad rests on. if you get too much brake dust build up it can keep them from moving.

Ok, on my car, the pads sit on the caliper carriers.

I will check all of that, thank you.

Would there be a way to see if it was front vs rear?

I am guessing front since the pull is so drastic.

I can get a used set of front calipers for 100 shipped, which I will probably buy after I check things out this weekend.

Make sure everything on the left front is free, this would be the first thing I'd check. Can't say I know exactly how the brakes are set up on your VW, but if it only pulls under braking then it's most likely the front and the side opposite the pull causing the problem. It would be a good idea to compare how everything moves from side to side, I mean take the calipers off and check the pads, calipers, and slides. Also after using the brakes a couple hard stops get out and feel the wheels see which brakes are getting the most use.

Make sure everything on the left front is free, this would be the first thing I'd check. Can't say I know exactly how the brakes are set up on your VW, but if it only pulls under braking then it's most likely the front and the side opposite the pull causing the problem. It would be a good idea to compare how everything moves from side to side, I mean take the calipers off and check the pads, calipers, and slides. Also after using the brakes a couple hard stops get out and feel the wheels see which brakes are getting the most use.

From what I remember seeing on the wheels, the right wheel has more brake dust. This could be my imagination though.

I will be sure to check everything out asap.

Update:

I just took the carriers, calipers and slides apart, cleaned them, greased them and made sure there was no build up of dust anywhere.

Still pulls to the right.

Another clue though: Once I heat up the brakes, and I mean heat them up big time, it stops straight......

Clues?

Still haven't bled the lines yet.

LF brake hose is junk or the caliper piston is sticking

true, it could be expanding under applied pressure....but I will say....I did my 1st track event in my M3 on 135k mile old brake lines and I had no concerns....it is however a possibility on your car, OP

bleed the lines before we start throwing out more what ifs.

Well I bled the lines and clutch. I got a few very small bubbles out of the passenger side calipers, both front and rear, but nothing from the clutch, or drivers side calipers.

Also rotated the tires as suggested from a VW forum.

First test drive of about 15 minutes was successful. No pulling.

Knowing me though, it will be a fluke and will pull like a bitch when I leave later tonight.

UPDATE: Car still pulls. I must have heated up the brakes too fast on the initial drive. Sucks...........

Edited by Aaron

small amount of air is all it takes.

So what is next?

It is not the tires, alignment, lines, fluid, pads, rotors, suspension.

It still could be the calipers, bushings (although not likely since it stops straight when heated up) and proportioning system.

Whats next guys?